Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Protection / Protect on later flight gone?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, National

Forgive me if this is old news, but the storms yesterday that messed things up in ORD uncovered a new policy that will negatively affect status on AA. Two agents who answered the EXP line told me that they were told that they could no longer protect me on an optional flight if I failed to make my connection (as it turned out it would not have mattered yesterday). They just got an e-mail to that effect.

Is this commonly known? One less reason to stay loyal I guess.

Last edited by JMKSTL; May 26, 2016 at 8:11 pm
Old May 26, 2016, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
I was told by an EXP agent in a weather situation that I couldn't be protected on an *alternate* flight after I had boarded until the original flight was officially cancelled (even tho we were told on the aircraft that we were cancelled and heading back to the gate).

Your situation is, however, if true, more troubling.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I don't think that this is new.

"Protecting" is a polite term for taking an empty seat out of circulation which could have been occupied by someone else. Not sure that is viable in a post-recession world of capacity cuts.

If that one seat is "protected" for you, it means that I don't get it. If it goes out empty, that's a lose-lose.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, National
Originally Posted by Often1
If that one seat is "protected" for you, it means that I don't get it. If it goes out empty, that's a lose-lose.
Thanks for that info. I guess I didn't realize that they actually went out empty. I assumed that they would get filled if I got on the earlier flight and vice versa, that the seat on the earlier flight got filled when I didn't make it (although I can see how that might be tougher, but that would be the situation whether they protected the seat on the later flight or not).
Old May 26, 2016, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JMKSTL
Thanks for that info. I guess I didn't realize that they actually went out empty...
Don't confuse bumper-sticker answers given here with actual explanations.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:53 pm

I was told awhile ago by more than one agent that they were no longer allowed to hold an alternate seat. I can't remember exactly, but I think it was many months ago.
Old May 26, 2016, 9:43 pm

Last edited by Geauxtigers; Aug 14, 2016 at 10:12 pm
Old May 27, 2016, 4:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
Lounge AAgent protected me on an alternate route as recently as 2 weeks ago.

I even got an upgrade message for the alternate flight while I was still waiting for my delayed flight to depart.

Whatever the official policy is, I suspect a good AAgent still knows how to do what is needed in the appropriate circumstances...
Old May 27, 2016, 6:02 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by Often1
I don't think that this is new.

"Protecting" is a polite term for taking an empty seat out of circulation which could have been occupied by someone else. Not sure that is viable in a post-recession world of capacity cuts.

If a seat is protected and is empty at departure that seat will be filled if there are oversolds or other standbys waiting for it in the same way a no-show seat would be filled. It would not go out empty.
Old May 27, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
About a month ago, EXP line wouldn't protect me on a later flight (only confirm the change and give up my original seat). Two minutes later in the Admirals Club (ATL), that agent protected me proactively when I asked what they knew about my delay.

OT: While the ATL club is an unmitigated disaster Thursday PM in terms of capacity, the agents there are fantastic!
Old May 27, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
Very poor on AA if accurate - this is the sort of thing that *will* create loyalty (far more than pdb's etc) and should be easy enough to manage so as to not impact profitability. Apparently just another sign of an airline management that flat out doesn't care whether or not any of their customers feel a sense of loyalty.
Old May 27, 2016, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I flew through ORD on Wednesday evening and it was a mess. Our crew for BOS-ORD almost went illegal, due to ops/ATC pushing our push back time over two hours after scheduled (1900) departure. Got moved up and ended up leaving 50 minutes late. We were lucky..

At ORD, my 2237 flt to MCI started the rolling delays as we awaited pilots. They were inbound to ORD, though once they landed, no gate was available. Due to worries that the FAs would go illegal, I called (and surprisingly got through to EXP with no wait) and asked about alternates. EXP agent protected me on a 1200 departure the following day, though said they weren't able to protect me on UA (I had asked if they had anything earlier that morning) because it was a weather related delay.
Old May 27, 2016, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by krlcomm
If a seat is protected and is empty at departure that seat will be filled if there are oversolds or other standbys waiting for it in the same way a no-show seat would be filled. It would not go out empty.
Of course and that has always been true. Nobody would expect any carrier to send a seat out empty with a passenger waiting to fill it in these circumstances.

But, if I am a last minute purchaser, typically HVC if I do that sort of thing, and the last seat just got taken out of circulation, I've "lost." Maybe I still head to the airport and SB, but more likely if there are options, I grab a seat on some other carrier.

It's far from "bumper sticker." AA acknowledged that this sort of thing would go away when it started capacity cuts 3-4 years ago and reported that to investors. Once upon a time, it was standard to keep capacity for just these situations. No longer.
Old May 27, 2016, 12:15 pm
E55

Same experience.

Originally Posted by Mark_T
Lounge AAgent protected me on an alternate route as recently as 2 weeks ago.

I even got an upgrade message for the alternate flight while I was still waiting for my delayed flight to depart.
Old May 27, 2016, 2:36 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
A few months ago I was told the same thing when calling Platinum desk--no protection on a later flight is the new policy. It was maint (waiting for them to get out of bed & to the airport). There could have been a slight chance of making my scheduled connection, but all later flights were nearly sold out (really wanted to try to make original connection to make it to DD's kindergarten orientation). I asked to speak to a supervisor since it had just been done at an airport counter earlier that week (for a missing crew member). The supervisor said that only airport staff & supervisors can protect passengers now. She kept my original connection & got me one of the last seats on the next flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.