Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA or BA Metal Between LAX-LHR (for Business class)

AA or BA Metal Between LAX-LHR (for Business class)

Old May 25, 16, 4:19 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: LAX
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 163
AA or BA Metal Between LAX-LHR (for Business class)

I'm planning to take my wife to Prague for her birthday later this year. The best option appears to be LAX-LHR-PRG.

When flying business class, would you recommend AA or BA metal on the TATL flight? We've flown the 77W three times between LAX-LHR and have really enjoyed the hard product. I'm curious whether BA would be even better.
dciolli is offline  
Old May 25, 16, 4:29 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LAX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Posts: 2,080
Originally Posted by dciolli View Post
We've flown the 77W three times between LAX-LHR and have really enjoyed the hard product. I'm curious whether BA would be even better.
No. BA's Club World product is dated and inferior - especially to AA's 77W J product. Stick with AA.
Ready2Go is offline  
Old May 25, 16, 4:31 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: LAX, LGB, SNA
Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Posts: 3,184
Originally Posted by Ready2Go View Post
No. BA's Club World product is dated and inferior - especially to AA's 77W J product. Stick with AA.
Second, CW is terrible compared to AA 77W J. BA F though is better than AA F.
hiima is offline  
Old May 25, 16, 5:47 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: London, SE1
Programs: AA Exec Plat (again!)
Posts: 329
Be wary of BA on the A380. A WW CSD friend told me that what was expected to be advantageous rostering for compensation on the longer A380 segment, which led crew to select that fleet, has since changed, so there is some level of discontent. I experienced that myself on a LAX-LHR flight. By contrast, had one of my best trans-atlantic journeys ever in March flying the AA 77W in First round trip LHR-LAX. It was all down to a great crew both ways (3 of whom were the same, coincidentally!)
Hoboken1K is offline  
Old May 25, 16, 6:02 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: PHL
Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Posts: 3,290
Originally Posted by Hoboken1K View Post
Be wary of BA on the A380. A WW CSD friend told me that what was expected to be advantageous rostering for compensation on the longer A380 segment, which led crew to select that fleet, has since changed, so there is some level of discontent. I experienced that myself on a LAX-LHR flight. By contrast, had one of my best trans-atlantic journeys ever in March flying the AA 77W in First round trip LHR-LAX. It was all down to a great crew both ways (3 of whom were the same, coincidentally!)
Interesting. I flew the BA 380 several times last year on the JNB route and service was unremarkable but that sounds more recent. I still maintain that BA missed an opportunity to introduce a more modern J seat when they rolled out the A380 fleet.

Of course transfer terminal matters in LHR in terms of what is a comfortable connection. Interestingly, BA seems to be using T3 for PRG departures when I looked just now, which would be another reason to use AA, as AA will also arrive in T3.
phlwookie is offline  
Old May 25, 16, 6:43 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: LAX, LGB, SNA
Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Posts: 3,184
Originally Posted by phlwookie View Post
Interesting. I flew the BA 380 several times last year on the JNB route and service was unremarkable but that sounds more recent. I still maintain that BA missed an opportunity to introduce a more modern J seat when they rolled out the A380 fleet.

Of course transfer terminal matters in LHR in terms of what is a comfortable connection. Interestingly, BA seems to be using T3 for PRG departures when I looked just now, which would be another reason to use AA, as AA will also arrive in T3.
I don't know if there's such thing as a comfortable connection in LHR.
hiima is offline  
Old May 25, 16, 6:49 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Posts: 873
AA J on the 77W >>> BA J on the A380
DA201 is offline  
Old May 25, 16, 6:57 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 591
Hands down AA over BA for the product. Assuming you have the whole trip as one ticket BA flies to Prague from T3 making it a bigger no brainer not having to transfer to T5.

The only other point for BA is if you want to be close to your wife the 2 "middle" seats are super close. Great if traveling with a SO - awful if next to a stranger like I got to experience in Jan
uscjeff is offline  
Old May 25, 16, 6:59 pm
  #9  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 62,880
Originally Posted by dciolli View Post
I'm planning to take my wife to Prague for her birthday later this year. The best option appears to be LAX-LHR-PRG.

When flying business class, would you recommend AA or BA metal on the TATL flight? We've flown the 77W three times between LAX-LHR and have really enjoyed the hard product. I'm curious whether BA would be even better.
Service is similarly variable, though IMO slightly better on AA.

CW on BA is far inferior to J on the AA 77W. If you like the 77W, you will not like CW. Even BA is moving to another product, though still narrow and crowded, not like AA.

AA 77W: 1 X 2 X 1 across. All aisle access. Full flat bed. Consistent and spacious product.

BA 777: 2 X 4 X 2 across, many seats require climbing over other passenger.

BA B747 main deck: 2 X 4 X 2 across, many seats require climbing over other passenger.

BA A380 main deck: 2 X 4 X 2 across, many seats require climbing over other passenger.

BA: beds require dropping foot rest, seats narrow and coffin like, privacy divider in down position has you staring at seat partner face to face takeoff, landing, meal services. Seats variable in access, length.
JDiver is offline  
Old May 25, 16, 10:28 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: LAX
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 163
Thanks all! We'll stick with AA on the 77W.
dciolli is offline  
Old May 25, 16, 11:07 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Yellow Springs
Programs: AS MVPG75K
Posts: 1,433
I have a slightly contradictory opinion of flying AA to LHR on the 77W because of the better seats in J for sleeping and back on BA since it's a daytime flight if you can get the paired window seats at the back of the cabin (those seats both have direct aisle access, although one is backwards). And you don't have to go through the idiotic AA security screening at LHR when returning to the US.
flymonthly is offline  
Old May 26, 16, 2:40 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: LAX, LGB, SNA
Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Posts: 3,184
Originally Posted by flymonthly View Post
I have a slightly contradictory opinion of flying AA to LHR on the 77W because of the better seats in J for sleeping and back on BA since it's a daytime flight if you can get the paired window seats at the back of the cabin (those seats both have direct aisle access, although one is backwards). And you don't have to go through the idiotic AA security screening at LHR when returning to the US.
Oh god, they basically pen you up half an hour before boarding. I hate that so much.
hiima is offline  
Old May 26, 16, 8:00 am
  #13  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Posts: 32,644
Originally Posted by hiima View Post
Oh god, they basically pen you up half an hour before boarding. I hate that so much.
That part is optional. You get to choose when you go to the gate and into the pen. If one knows the drill, one can wait until later.

We are flying BA J SFO-LHR later today, so we will be able to do the comparison as we typically fly AA J LAX-LHR. The J deal on BA was too good to pass up, plus, the no connection idea was nice as well

But, yes, it will be hard to beat 77W J, particularly the mini cabin.

Cheers.
brp is offline  
Old May 26, 16, 8:50 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Frisco, TX
Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Posts: 22,131
Interesting. I'm flying BA CW ATL-LHR in july (AA wasn't available over the pond in saver J of course) and the folks on the BA forum say BA blows AA away in J. Oh well.
enviroian is offline  
Old May 26, 16, 9:09 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Programs: AA
Posts: 11,246
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Interesting. I'm flying BA CW ATL-LHR in july (AA wasn't available over the pond in saver J of course) and the folks on the BA forum say BA blows AA away in J. Oh well.
It depends on the plane. AA77W J beats any CW seat by miles. Other AA planes, especially the ones with the NGBC seat, are a completely different story.
wrp96 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: