Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA or BA Metal Between LAX-LHR (for Business class)

AA or BA Metal Between LAX-LHR (for Business class)

Old May 26, 16, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
We're talking specifically here about the AA 77W compared to BA Club World. Would you care to reference a thread in the BA forum where someone actually suggests BA Club World is superior to the AA 77W?
Well, there is this very long thread on Club World seats: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...lane-seat.html

There is also the recent threat about the new CW seat for the A350: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-aircraft.html

That aside, choice of carrier and class of travel boils down to personal preference and opinion. As I said above I prefer the AA 77W in J to the same cabin on a BA 777 but would take the 747 UD in Club if that was an option, as I think that is still a great cabin in which to fly. For a day flight on a BA 777-300ER or an A380 I think WT+ is a great option.

I don't wish to derail the thread or take it off-topic but happy to discuss via PM if you wish?

As I said in my earlier post, I think business class on either AA or BA is way preferable to travelling in economy / WT+ on either carrier. Personally, I would be happy with either.
Old May 26, 16, 2:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, MaÓtre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Geordie405 View Post
Well, there is this very long thread on Club World seats: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...lane-seat.html

There is also the recent threat about the new CW seat for the A350: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-aircraft.html

That aside, choice of carrier and class of travel boils down to personal preference and opinion. As I said above I prefer the AA 77W in J to the same cabin on a BA 777 but would take the 747 UD in Club if that was an option, as I think that is still a great cabin in which to fly. For a day flight on a BA 777-300ER or an A380 I think WT+ is a great option.

I don't wish to derail the thread or take it off-topic but happy to discuss via PM if you wish?

As I said in my earlier post, I think business class on either AA or BA is way preferable to travelling in economy / WT+ on either carrier. Personally, I would be happy with either.
I've flown 744 main cabin C when bought close to departure or rerouted by AA to BA, but I generally fly 62A or K in the SUD. I'm fine with that, but the seat is still inferior to the Zodiac Cirrus business suite seat. 777 is unconscionably tight with the 2 X 4 X 2 across C seating. A380 still narrower, etc. (have 51A, 51B for that one).

Either Business product is far better than Premium Economy / WT+ and eons above WT / Main Cabin.

And I've flown WT+ - I concur it's ok for day flights and I'd try to avoid for redeyes. Too many hours spent in Main Cabin and World and Euro Traveller than I'd care to recall - so I won't.
Old May 26, 16, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
AA all the way, no comparison! No crawling over people to get in and out, or having meal try passed over me to other passengers, no odd conversations right face to face with strangers.
Old May 26, 16, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by brp View Post
We try to target to get there maybe 35-40 minutes before departure and that usually hits toward the beginning of boarding. Sometimes they board later and we hang, but not often.

Also, we now answer our "security" questions at the gate (and not the little room in Flight Connections) so we need a little more time. Since no one does it there, it adds like a minute, but I allow more.

Cheers.
If If you're starting from LHR, you get the security questions asked at check in, if you're a premium passenger.
Old May 26, 16, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
I think LAX-LHR would be one of the safer 77W routes.
Unless it goes MX, which it did once. But if that happens, you've got worse problems on your hands.
Old May 26, 16, 2:52 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by hiima View Post
If If you're starting from LHR, you get the security questions asked at check in, if you're a premium passenger.
Been a while since we originated in London but, yeah, I was thinking of Flight Connections. Come to think of it...wouldn't a coach passenger originating at LHR also get asked the questions?

We come back from London on Monday, but that's BA...so no questions

Cheers.
Old May 26, 16, 3:05 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Geordie405 View Post
Do you realize that that thread title is sarcastic?
Old May 26, 16, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
Do you realize that that thread title is sarcastic?
But if you read through it, there are several people rabidly defending Club World.
Old May 26, 16, 3:13 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
But if you read through it, there are several people rabidly defending Club World.
I am familiar with that thread. I don't think anyone in that thread is suggesting it's superior to the AA 77W. That was my point up thread.
Old May 26, 16, 3:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I'm connecting through LHR. So I can choose between being asked at Flight Connections or at the gate?
Old May 26, 16, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, AS, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Five Star
Flew AA LAX-LHR in Business on the 77W and BA LHR-LAX in Club on the A380 last year.

Cutting and pasting with some modifications from from a previous thread asking the same question. Just flew the 77W in Business on the MIA-LAX run and my option of the sleeping position of the AA Business seat hasn't changed.

-------------------------
Daytime seat comfort: AA (at least on the 77W)
You feel much more in your private space on AA. There’s plenty of elbow room and storage space. The BA CW seats, while not cramped, seem cramped in comparison. The power and USB ports were more convenient to your body and there’s decent counter space nearby space to place your smartphone or tablet. There’s also no climbing over fellow passengers to access the aisle from all AA seats. Only a few BA CW seats have this advantage.

Nighttime/sleep comfort: BA
This surprised me. In AA when you convert the seat to a lie-flat, while there’s decent body space (at least from Business), your butt lies on a seat cushion border which results in a somewhat uncomfortable firm slight bump. With BA, your butt rests nicely on a full cushion which to me was more comfortable. With the AA seat, if you raise the backrest slightly, this helps that discomfort although now you don't have a truly lie-flat any more. I did manage to sleep on both AA and BA overnight segments.

Entertainment system: wash
The AA 77W and the BA A380 (same system on the BA 777) were relatively easy to navigate, gave good picture and had an excellent variety of programming.

Food: BA
I forgot what I had on any of the flights (I was on ambien!) but I remember liking the BA food choices better. (Hey, I’m not being paid for this.)

Flight attendants: BA
I’d say this for the airlines as a whole. The staff on my AA flight was excellent, but I’ve taken many AA flights when they were awful, rude and uncaring. It’s hit or miss with AA. I’ve found a consistent professionalism with BA staff and there was no exception with any of the segments I was on, either international or UK domestic.

Lounges: In the US: BA, in the UK: wash
In LAX, the OW Business Lounge serves real food compared to the Admiral’s Club. In stateside BA lounges, they serve real food. AA is just too stingy domestically. I can’t really compare the LHR T3 AC with the T5 Club Galleries lounges as I’ve never been to the former, however I read they serve real food there. The BA Club lounges (I visited both North and South) are nice, but crowded and as a result not relaxing. The spa showers/changing rooms weren’t beautiful but still had everything you need. I did also visit the AA Arrivals lounge at LHR and found it rather drab but perfectly functional with showers and decent breakfast food (they close at 2:00pm). EDIT- with the LAX T4-TBIT connector, you can go to the OW Business Lounge, although I don't think one should have to and they should serve complimentary hot food to international Business passengers in the AC.

So overall I prefer BA but wouldn’t be whining if I was on AA, especially westbound when sleep is not essential.
Old May 26, 16, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Flip42 View Post
I'm connecting through LHR. So I can choose between being asked at Flight Connections or at the gate?
Don't know about connections. I'm talking about originating in LHR, I got my security sticker at premium check in while business passenger. I had a "connection" in LHR where I left the connection area and got some tea and went to the other terminal and went through security. It may have been faster to go through immigration and re clear security, probably not though.
Old May 26, 16, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Oakshadow View Post
Flew AA LAX-LHR in Business on the 77W and BA LHR-LAX in Club on the A380 last year.

Cutting and pasting with some modifications from from a previous thread asking the same question. Just flew the 77W in Business on the MIA-LAX run and my option of the sleeping position of the AA Business seat hasn't changed.

-------------------------
Daytime seat comfort: AA (at least on the 77W)
You feel much more in your private space on AA. Thereís plenty of elbow room and storage space. The BA CW seats, while not cramped, seem cramped in comparison. The power and USB ports were more convenient to your body and thereís decent counter space nearby space to place your smartphone or tablet. Thereís also no climbing over fellow passengers to access the aisle from all AA seats. Only a few BA CW seats have this advantage.

Nighttime/sleep comfort: BA
This surprised me. In AA when you convert the seat to a lie-flat, while thereís decent body space (at least from Business), your butt lies on a seat cushion border which results in a somewhat uncomfortable firm slight bump. With BA, your butt rests nicely on a full cushion which to me was more comfortable. With the AA seat, if you raise the backrest slightly, this helps that discomfort although now you don't have a truly lie-flat any more. I did manage to sleep on both AA and BA overnight segments.

Entertainment system: wash
The AA 77W and the BA A380 (same system on the BA 777) were relatively easy to navigate, gave good picture and had an excellent variety of programming.

Food: BA
I forgot what I had on any of the flights (I was on ambien!) but I remember liking the BA food choices better. (Hey, Iím not being paid for this.)

Flight attendants: BA
Iíd say this for the airlines as a whole. The staff on my AA flight was excellent, but Iíve taken many AA flights when they were awful, rude and uncaring. Itís hit or miss with AA. Iíve found a consistent professionalism with BA staff and there was no exception with any of the segments I was on, either international or UK domestic.

Lounges: In the US: BA, in the UK: wash
In LAX, the OW Business Lounge serves real food compared to the Admiralís Club. In stateside BA lounges, they serve real food. AA is just too stingy domestically. I canít really compare the LHR T3 AC with the T5 Club Galleries lounges as Iíve never been to the former, however I read they serve real food there. The BA Club lounges (I visited both North and South) are nice, but crowded and as a result not relaxing. The spa showers/changing rooms werenít beautiful but still had everything you need. I did also visit the AA Arrivals lounge at LHR and found it rather drab but perfectly functional with showers and decent breakfast food (they close at 2:00pm). EDIT- with the LAX T4-TBIT connector, you can go to the OW Business Lounge, although I don't think one should have to and they should serve complimentary hot food to international Business passengers in the AC.

So overall I prefer BA but wouldnít be whining if I was on AA, especially westbound when sleep is not essential.
No they do not serve hot food in the AC to intl business pax. Unless you're in the FL. Since the connector is open, there's no reason not to go to the OW lounge, your gate is either 41, right next to the connector or in TB.
Old May 26, 16, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, AS, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Five Star
No they do not serve hot food in the AC to intl business pax. Unless you're in the FL. Since the connector is open, there's no reason not to go to the OW lounge, your gate is either 41, right next to the connector or in TB.
As what was written in my review and is an issue I have with the AC for international Business pax.
Old May 26, 16, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Oakshadow View Post
As what was written in my review and is an issue I have with the AC for international Business pax.
Agreed, I only ever go to the AC when I need to standby or something needs to be fine with an AAngel. I'd rather go to the KAL lounge.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: