Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can AA check me in for a flight on China Southern Airlines flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2016, 8:46 am
Original Poster

I am flying CLT-DFW-PVG and then I am hopping onto a China Southern flight to my destination within china. My flight was booked through Concur and the China Southern Flight shows up in my AA Record. As my flight leaves CLT more than 24 before my China Southern flight I won't be able to check in online. China Southern is Skyteam and not OneWorld if that matters.

I was hoping that AA can hand me my ticket for China Southern when I check in at CLT rather than having to hunt down the China Southern Desk in PVG as a non-Mandarin speaker. Does anyone know if this is possible? I have Concur checking but they are unsure right now.
Old May 20, 2016, 9:01 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Highly doubtful.
Old May 20, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Almost certainly no, and it's really not that hard to 'hunt down' the China Southern check in desk at an airport with all the signs in English. You have to reclaim your bags anyway.
Old May 20, 2016, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Almost certainly no, and it's really not that hard to 'hunt down' the China Southern check in desk at an airport with all the signs in English. You have to reclaim your bags anyway.
Yep Concur just confirmed this. I don't plan on checking my bags so I will just find the China Southern kiosk. Thanks all!
Old May 20, 2016, 11:52 am

Programs: UA
Just a data point, I had a trip DCA-DFW-PEK-CKG earlier this year, with PEK-CKG on Air China (* alliance). I was able to get all boarding passes from AA's kiosk.

If AA and China southern are not in the same terminal, the walking distance between T1 and T2is long.
Old May 20, 2016, 6:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; AA EXP; UA 1K
Originally Posted by mike_L
Just a data point, I had a trip DCA-DFW-PEK-CKG earlier this year, with PEK-CKG on Air China (* alliance). I was able to get all boarding passes from AA's kiosk.

If AA and China southern are not in the same terminal, the walking distance between T1 and T2is long.
Both AA and CZ operate from T2 at PVG, IIRC.
Old May 20, 2016, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
AA Interline AgreementsShare

E-Ticket Interline Agreements
AB AC AF AI AM AP
AS AT AV AX AY AZ
A3 BA BB BE BR BW
CA CI CM CX CZ EI
ET EY FB FI FJ GF
GK G3 HA HG HU IB
IG JC JJ JL JQ KA
KE KL KQ KU KX LA
LH LO LP LR LX LY
ME MH MS MU NH NU
NZ OA OK OS OU OW
OZ PK PR PS PZ QF
QR RJ SA SK SN SQ
SU SV S7 TA TG TK
TN TP UA UL UP US
VN VS VW VY WP WS
XL ZK 3M 4C 4M 4O
7H 9B 9K 9W

Paper Ticket and Baggage Interline Agreements

MAY ISSUE TICKETS INCLUDING
AA AB AC AF AI AM AS AT AV AX AY AZ A3 BA
BB BE BR BW CA CI CM CO CX CZ EI ET EY FB
FI FJ GF GK G3 HA HG HU IB IG JC JJ JL JQ
JU KA KE KL KQ KU KX LA LH LO LP LR LX LY
ME MH MS MU NH NU NZ OA OK OS OU OZ PK PR
PS PZ QF QR RJ SA SK SN SQ SU SV S7 TA TG
TK TN TP UA UL UP US VN VS VW VY WP WS XL
ZK 2A 3M 4C 4M 4O 7H 9B 9K 9W

MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
AA AB AC AF AI AS AT AV AX AY AZ A3 BA BB
BE BR BW CA CI CM CO CX CZ EI ET EY FB FI
FJ GF GK G3 HA HG HU IB IG JC JJ JL JQ JU
KA KE KL KQ KU KX LA LH LO LP LR LX LY MD
ME MS MU NH NU NZ OA OK OS OU OZ PK PR PS
PZ QF QR SA SK SN SQ SU SV S7 TA TG TK TN
TP UA UL UP US VN VS VW VY WP WS XL YX ZK
3M 4C 4M 4O 7H 9K 9W
Old May 22, 2016, 5:44 am

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
I've been unable to checkin online for any China flights. I actually had a chat with the exp desk rep who told me, any trip to China, Hong Kong or Taipei, must check in at counter.

That has been my experience for my three trips this year, one to Shanghai, and two to Hong Kong.
Old May 22, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by trekker954
I've been unable to checkin online for any China flights. I actually had a chat with the exp desk rep who told me, any trip to China, Hong Kong or Taipei, must check in at counter.

That has been my experience for my three trips this year, one to Shanghai, and two to Hong Kong.
This is expected because an agent needs to check your visa before issuing you boarding passes, unless you have a Chinese passport. If you do this on a kiosk, the thing will pause with something flashing on it and prompt you to get an agent.
Old May 22, 2016, 7:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by mike_L
This is expected because an agent needs to check your visa before issuing you boarding passes, unless you have a Chinese passport. If you do this on a kiosk, the thing will pause with something flashing on it and prompt you to get an agent.
Though Hong Kong SAR has no advance visa requirement, AA is still requiring documents check.
Old May 22, 2016, 2:32 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Even if they are able to pull and image your boarding pass don't expect it to work. My experience is the Chinese carriers and airports like to see a locally printed boarding pass at the transit point. Went through this last year on a CA (Air China)-->SQ (Singapore) connection in PEK. Had the boarding pass issued at LAX but the transit point in PEK wanted us to re-check at the SQ transit desk.
Old May 22, 2016, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dll
Even if they are able to pull and image your boarding pass don't expect it to work. My experience is the Chinese carriers and airports like to see a locally printed boarding pass at the transit point. Went through this last year on a CA (Air China)-->SQ (Singapore) connection in PEK. Had the boarding pass issued at LAX but the transit point in PEK wanted us to re-check at the SQ transit desk.
How is it that we can be mid-2016 already and we are still having to put up with all this <balderdash>?

Last edited by Microwave; May 22, 2016 at 10:29 pm
Old May 22, 2016, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
How is it that we can be mid-2016 already and we are still having to put up with all this <balderdash>?
Or, as adults and experienced travelers, can't just learn to deal with it.

Last edited by Microwave; May 22, 2016 at 10:30 pm
Old May 22, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Or, as adults and experienced travelers, can't just learn to deal with it.
I think it is a valid frustration - one of the big selling points of alliances, JBA's, etc is the "seamless passenger experience" yet the examples of their not doing this are plentiful...

AA can't manage to get me a seat assignment in J on an Iberia codeshare without me calling both AA and IB 64 times. I've yet to have AA be able to issue onward boarding passes for connecting flights in Europe. etc...

Is it worth getting worked up about? obviously no. But I think it is a valid criticism that the reality of airline technology doesn't live up to the marketing hype.
Old May 22, 2016, 10:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by sombrachinesca
I think it is a valid frustration - one of the big selling points of alliances, JBA's, etc is the "seamless passenger experience" yet the examples of their not doing this are plentiful...

AA can't manage to get me a seat assignment in J on an Iberia codeshare without me calling both AA and IB 64 times. I've yet to have AA be able to issue onward boarding passes for connecting flights in Europe. etc...

Is it worth getting worked up about? obviously no. But I think it is a valid criticism that the reality of airline technology doesn't live up to the marketing hype.
If they were all sharing the same CRS, or if AA had moved to HP JetStream (but they backed out at bankruptcy time, if, if. It is what it is, marketers are fuller of hype than nearly anything else, and we learn to move on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.