Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA, OTG to announce $30M renovation of PHL Terminal B

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2016, 4:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...ech_flair.html

With iPads at seats in 15 gate areas and eight new restaurants, passengers will be able to get flight updates, browse the web, play games, and order food and drinks and have them delivered right to them.

The $30 million redesign over the next 18 months will transform 60,000 square feet inside the security perimeter to include expanded retail offerings, a food hall, and menus designed by nine noted local chefs.

"Every single seat in every restaurant, and 75 percent to 80 percent of seats in gate lounges, will have a 110 outlet and a USB port, along with an iPad," said Rick Blatstein, OTG chief executive officer. "The gate lounges will have wonderful plush seats and a table in front of you."
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...raga-ipad.html (may need to google title to see full article)

American is in the middle of a $3 billion investment in enhancing customers’ experiences at 335 airports, including in Philadelphia and its eight other hubs, around the country, [American Airlines managing director of airport and government affairs Rhett Workman] said.

Those changes – new ticketing and check-in kiosks, revamped lounges, among other improvements – are unlikely to cause jaws to drop. But the newly conceived Terminal B – funded primarily by OTG – just might, said Workman, calling the airline hospitality company “the jewel in the crown.”

“This allows us to personalize the Philadelphia airport experience in a new way,” he said.

Construction is anticipated to start in the early fall with an expected completion date in mid-2018.
Not a fan of their iPad/food options, but at least it will look better. No room for those restaurants in the walkway like EWR. Sounds like some seating will be lost, so that won't help the overcrowded gate areas.
Old May 18, 2016, 10:02 am

So long as they fix how the gate areas are laid out. Got moved last minute to B4 and there's space for about 6 people before it spills into the hallway. Pure chaos.
Old May 18, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Some nice lipstick but the actual size of B/C is still the greatest challenge. I have been impressed tho at how hard PHL has tried with things like the Food Court changes, renovated bathrooms, etc. in recent years.

B/C is supposed to disappear in a few decades or so if the master plan goes the way its trending to, isn't it?
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
I like what OTG has done with the Terminals C/D at LGA for DL (and by extension, for the pmUS part of AA since they are in C) as well as T2 at JFK for DL. These are old cramped terminals, and OTG has done a decent job offering some good options and using unique setups to provide seating options. I'll be interested to see what they do at PHL. Though why only B I wonder?
Old May 18, 2016, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by ty97
I'll be interested to see what they do at PHL. Though why only B I wonder?
If I had to guess, F is brand new, D/E are also new, and C has a chickie and petes so there's no need to refurb the terminal . In all seriousness when flying to/from Philly the past few times I've come in and out of terminal B, it definitely needs something new. Took quite a while to find an outlet and when I did, an employee came up with a wheelchair saying she needed it
Old May 18, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
A few more pictures on the OTG site, http://www.otgmanagement.com/experie...rience?loc=299

They seem to indicate C and D will also get the treatment at some point.

The cramped gate areas a legacy of how the airport has changed over the years, I am not sure many of the walls dividing the various gate lounges can be removed. From the images linked above, this has been in the works a while, as it features the old pmUS LED gate displays.
Old May 18, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Terminal B (and C) need a design reconstruct. Not an enhancement. If this is like what AC did at YYZ, then it comes at a cost of less seating for passengers. Although if you're one of the lucky ones to actually grab a seat, it will be a much nicer experience. Unless of course the satff takes forever to clean off the table from the previous occupant(s).
Old May 18, 2016, 1:54 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Terminal B (and C) need a design reconstruct. Not an enhancement.
Agree. But it will not happen any time soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.