Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA announces Premium Economy / PE / PEY coming for domestic (May 2016)

ARCHIVE: AA announces Premium Economy / PE / PEY coming for domestic (May 2016)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 29, 16, 1:38 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
PLEASE FOLLOW DISCUSSION in:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-2015-a.html

/Moderator
Print Wikipost

Old May 19, 16, 6:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The topic here is the introduction of domestic premium economy by AA. Peripheral discussion and reaction to wider changes has been moved to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...tion-poll.html.

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; May 19, 16 at 7:09 am
Old May 19, 16, 11:04 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by rasheed View Post
Could require some more serious commitment of MCE on LUS craft.
In my mind, this is the key factor. While Parker claimed to support MCE early on, more than enough time has passed to introduce MCE seating on the LUS fleet, subject comments suggest that management has not yet decided on a long-term strategy for MCE / Y+, hence the continued foot dragging. Has been a while since I recall seeing a MCE commercial on board.

Would be interesting to know how many passengers actually pay for MCE; possible that it is effectively a perk for elites, kettles who do not reserve seats, Parker is trying to figure out a way to better monetize it, waiting to see the DL results.
Old May 19, 16, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by diver858 View Post
In my mind, this is the key factor. While Parker claimed to support MCE early on, more than enough time has passed to introduce MCE seating on the LUS fleet, subject comments suggest that management has not yet decided on a long-term strategy for MCE / Y+, hence the continued foot dragging. Has been a while since I recall seeing a MCE commercial on board.
Huh?

They will probably be finishing up by the end of this month the installment of MCE on all of the almost 100 pmUS 319s.
Old May 20, 16, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet View Post
Huh?

They will probably be finishing up by the end of this month the installment of MCE on all of the almost 100 pmUS 319s.
How about pmUS 321s - would be as simple as removing one row of seats in the "preferred" section between first and the exit row. To the best of my knowledge, there is no current plan to do so.
Old May 20, 16, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diver858 View Post
How about pmUS 321s - would be as simple as removing one row of seats in the "preferred" section between first and the exit row. To the best of my knowledge, there is no current plan to do so.
One fairly new Flyertalker with a very low post count and obviously no demonstrated history of posting correct info (due to the first two characteristics) recently posted that the A321 CIP to align the LUS A321s to the LAA A321s begins in July.

Funny thing, though. No rumours about it, no press releases, nothing. July is not the typical start month to reconfigure dozens of single-aisle workhorses. If that Flyertalker is correct, they'll have gained many "credibility points."

There is no real need to remove a row of seats for MCE (but there should be), as the pre-MCE 738s were increased to 160, with MCE they were reduced to 154 (150 with the four blocked seats) and then increased back to 160 with slimmer seats, removal of all closets and tighter seat pitch in the non-MCE rows.
Old May 20, 16, 9:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
One fairly new Flyertalker with a very low post count and obviously no demonstrated history of posting correct info (due to the first two characteristics) recently posted that the A321 CIP to align the LUS A321s to the LAA A321s begins in July.

Funny thing, though. No rumours about it, no press releases, nothing.
I asked a guy who knows a guy who's uncle's neighbour buys his motor oil from the same guy as the parking lot attendant at AA HQ in Dallas, and nobody he's spoken to knows anything about that either.
Old May 26, 16, 12:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Hmm. I think I may have screwed up posting here (result of getting up at 01:30 to drive Lady JDiver to hospital and returning from ER after 05:30 - turned out OK, but threw my bio-clock off.) As my post and continuing posts are more suited to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ey-coming.html. My apologies for the inconvenience.

JDiver, Moderator
Old May 26, 16, 3:49 pm

Programs: Lowly kettle across AAdvantage, DL, Hyatt, ATK, IHG, Bonvoy.
The new Y- is essentially WN seating with assigned seats, baggage fees, slow baggage handling, and frequently a hub connection. Is this an effort at differentiation?
Old May 26, 16, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH GLD (thanks Citi), former DL silver
Originally Posted by iplaybass View Post
The new Y- is essentially WN seating with assigned seats, baggage fees, slow baggage handling, and frequently a hub connection. Is this an effort at differentiation?
In Y-, do you still have baggage fees, even with an AA credit card? Seems like that would piss off the infrequent fliers who have an AA card (there are plenty of them, just not here).
Old May 26, 16, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I would find it doubtful during the busy travel season AA will take A321s out of service for refurbs and/or installing MCE (many of the LUS 321s are fairly new).
Old May 26, 16, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iplaybass View Post
What?

What is "Y-"?

Are you suggesting that somehow baggage handling is going to be slower/different based on the Y fare class you buy?

Are you suggesting that someone who buys a basic coach fare is going to be routed through a different hub that someone on the same flight in F? Of course not.

Oh, and that "WN seating" probably has better pitch than main cabin on many AA planes.

Old May 26, 16, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bse118 View Post
What is "Y-"?
Y- refers to all the seats in the Y cabin that aren't designated MCE (Y+).
Old May 26, 16, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bse118 View Post
What?

What is "Y-"?

Are you suggesting that somehow baggage handling is going to be slower/different based on the Y fare class you buy?

Are you suggesting that someone who buys a basic coach fare is going to be routed through a different hub that someone on the same flight in F? Of course not.

Oh, and that "WN seating" probably has better pitch than main cabin on many AA planes.
I think the intended meaning was that AA Y is like WN without any of WN's upsides. Which is a fair (if rather overwrought) opinion to have if you travel only domestically, and also by no means "new."
Old May 27, 16, 9:06 am

Programs: Lowly kettle across AAdvantage, DL, Hyatt, ATK, IHG, Bonvoy.
Originally Posted by rjw242 View Post
I think the intended meaning was that AA Y is like WN without any of WN's upsides. Which is a fair (if rather overwrought) opinion to have if you travel only domestically, and also by no means "new."
Exactly. Even though I've joined the "want F, buy P" crowd, WN is the dominant carrier here and offers direct flights to many domestic destinations (lower fares, not so much.) If AA becomes a slightly worse version of WN, hat will AA do to differentiate themselves, and is this an attempt towards that path?

For business travel, it won't matter since I'm restricted to $100 above the lowest fare, so any new "Y+" fare class will probably be out-of-bounds, but this may influence my choice of airline for personal travel, depending on the "Y+" product AA comes up with.
Old May 27, 16, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
I would find it doubtful during the busy travel season AA will take A321s out of service for refurbs and/or installing MCE (many of the LUS 321s are fairly new).
We are talking about LUS 321s, Parker could have taken performed the MCE upgrades last winter - when the LUS 319 "upgrades" were performed.

PLEASE FOLLOW DISCUSSION in:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-2015-a.html

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 29, 16 at 9:37 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: