Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA announces Premium Economy / PE / PEY coming for domestic (May 2016)

ARCHIVE: AA announces Premium Economy / PE / PEY coming for domestic (May 2016)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 29, 16, 1:38 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
PLEASE FOLLOW DISCUSSION in:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-2015-a.html

/Moderator
Print Wikipost

Old May 17, 16, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Could it be that Kirby misspoke and meant to say "internationally" instead of "domestically"? Basic economy and premium economy are two completely different subject matters. The only cost-effective way to have PE domestically (on a non-intl widebody aircraft) is to replace the MCE name to PE.
Old May 17, 16, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suspect that Kirby mis-used the word "premium economy" when he was talking about domestic. My guess is that AA is planning to make MCE a separate booking class (ala DL's move to make C+ separate) yet will still be economy with extra legroom and maybe some free stuff, the opposite of "basic economy" which will include no legroom, no miles, no upgrade potential and no free stuff.
Old May 17, 16, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
I suspect that Kirby mis-used the word "premium economy" when he was talking about domestic. My guess is that AA is planning to make MCE a separate booking class (ala DL's move to make C+ separate) yet will still be economy with extra legroom and maybe some free stuff, the opposite of "basic economy" which will include no legroom, no miles, no upgrade potential and no free stuff.
I agree. You might get a free drink and snack basket garbage similar to DL. The $64K question is will EXPs automatically be able to choose a seat at booking given they already get free MCE, a drink and food.
Old May 17, 16, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Fanjet View Post
Could it be that Kirby misspoke and meant to say "internationally" instead of "domestically"? Basic economy and premium economy are two completely different subject matters. The only cost-effective way to have PE domestically (on a non-intl widebody aircraft) is to replace the MCE name to PE.
If he misspoke it was to do with the definition of PE and not a confusion between Intl. and Domestic. He was very clear in other comments that Intl. PE was coming this year.
Old May 17, 16, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
On DL, there is no difference in on-board service or seat for the person in the main Y cabin on a basic economy fare than anyone else on a higher fare.
Old May 17, 16, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL PM; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Fanjet View Post
Could it be that Kirby misspoke
Definite possibility.
Old May 17, 16, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
I agree. You might get a free drink and snack basket garbage similar to DL. The $64K question is will EXPs automatically be able to choose a seat at booking given they already get free MCE, a drink and food.
I could see EXPs being able to select MCE at booking but making PLT/GLD "clear" into MCE seats that aren't booked by paying customers at departure time unless they want to use 500 mile upgrades.

AA has always taken excellent care of EXPs, and I doubt they want to risk losing that base. I know FF benefits are being destroyed industry-wide but I don't see AA being as ruthless as DL and UA.

Just my opinion of course.
Old May 17, 16, 7:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Has there been any word on when they'll announce PE awards and redemption rates?
Old May 17, 16, 7:36 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm. SPG LT Titanium. UA 712,524 miles and no longer trying.
We are now in a race to the bottom. With the old management I always thought they saw value in not being the stingiest of the big three but the new regime, not so much, in fact not at all. There is no way that MCE is premium anything that would make it an actual step between coach and bus/first domestically. I am actually looking at BA WTP and see the value in that as I do CX PE but on AA as the seating is currently configured there is no way.
Old May 17, 16, 7:36 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm. SPG LT Titanium. UA 712,524 miles and no longer trying.
Originally Posted by ty97 View Post
Definite possibility.
You think he just got confused?
Old May 17, 16, 7:38 pm
abk

Originally Posted by vxmike View Post
I could see EXPs being able to select MCE at booking but making PLT/GLD "clear" into MCE seats that aren't booked by paying customers at departure time unless they want to use 500 mile upgrades.

AA has always taken excellent care of EXPs, and I doubt they want to risk losing that base. I know FF benefits are being destroyed industry-wide but I don't see AA being as ruthless as DL and UA.

Why don't you see them being as ruthless as the competition? They like us more than the other airlines like their elites or they just don't care about the bottom line as much as the others. In the end, the Parker bashers were probably right on the money.
Old May 17, 16, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
I am not a the-sky-is-falling guy by nature, but many of the predictions in this thread are entirely plausible. Of course we'll have to wait and see what happens, but my gut feel is that the gravy train that elites have enjoyed for 10-15 years is coming to an end. Clearly the trend is that perks will be offered to and reserved for those who actually spend incremental hard money for them -- or, in the case of airline affinity credit cards, generate hard dollars for the airlines in other ways. Put differently, as time goes by you will get less and less that you didn't pay extra for, loyalty notwithstanding.

In a sense it's back to the early 1980s -- remember the paid-F-upgrade offers of $10/20/30? -- except that availability of free travel is far less now than then. It's the inevitable consequence of the AA/DL/UA oligarchy.
Old May 17, 16, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA Platinum/LT Gold(1.3MM current method/1.51MM old method)/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by vxmike View Post

I'm hoping they take care of PL's too.
Old May 18, 16, 10:21 am
Suspended

Viewfromthewing picks up (and confirms) this story today:
http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....uation-elites/

...I wanted to make sure that there wasnít any confusion, and that Scott Kirby didnít misspeak, so I followed up with American to learn more. I was told that theyíre still developing their plans for domestic premium economy, with a roll out sometime in 2017. They havenít decided what beyond additional leg room the product will offer, or how it relates to Main Cabin Extra.
Old May 18, 16, 10:52 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Back to the topic at hand folks.

This thread isn't about changes to the AAdvantage programme, so let's stick to the Kirby announcement quoted in the OP please.

~Moderator

Search this Thread
Search Engine: