Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Ends Inflight Connections Gate Announcements 17 May 2016

AA Ends Inflight Connections Gate Announcements 17 May 2016

Old May 16, 16, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
American Bows to Technology, Ends In-Flight Gate Announcements

An article in Bloomberg says American Airlines will stop announcing connecting gate information as you descend.

I'm ambivalent. I actually listened, but it was more out of boredom and a sense of anticipation as I figure out what Admirals Club to patronize. It's information which is readily available from multiple sources inside of 15 seconds once I'm on the ground, so I can't say I'm going to miss the announcements.

Last edited by JDiver; May 16, 16 at 8:30 am Reason: Restore original post title
Old May 16, 16, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
I'm ambivalent too. The announcements were a unique AA differentiator, and one of the few ways an airline could provide any semblance of personalized service in the air, since they announced only the relevant connections for pax on the plane.

OTOH, even when I heard my connecting gate, I knew I had to confirm it on the monitors or on the app; and sometimes the connection announcement could go on for 5 minutes or more.

How about giving us Channel 9 in return?
Old May 16, 16, 8:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The AA take as reported in that article is:

The change, effective May 17, is a concession that technology has rendered the announcements moot, as passengers now travel equipped with an array of Internet-connected gadgets. American also displays gate information via the seat-back screens on its newer aircraft.

“There’s a lot of ways to get that information, and it wasn’t necessarily helpful to provide that on the airplane,” American spokesman Joshua Freed said.

The announcements also irritated some passengers, he acknowledged, especially for anyone potentially engrossed in a movie or Deadliest Catch. “Some people certainly viewed it as an interruption,” he said, “so for those folks, we’ll stop interrupting them.”
Note that DL and UA are said to have abandoned inflight connections announcements several years ago, in the same article.

I have to admit it's no loss for me, as the data were often incomplete (some connecting flights were not read) or incorrect (the gate had been changed since the crew received the connections listings). If I've not used onboard Internet, when we're off the active runway and can activate cellular functions on my mobile, I'll use my FlightBoard app to see my connections gates.
Old May 16, 16, 8:23 am

They might as well also do away with the whole "please keep the aisle free for passengers with tight connections to exit quickly" speech as well. I've never seen anyone stay seated for this.
Old May 16, 16, 8:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage; Delta Skymiles; United MileagePlus; Air Canada Aeroplan; Air France FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by Boogie711 View Post
An article in Bloomberg says American Airlines will stop announcing connecting gate information as you descend.

I'm ambivalent. I actually listened, but it was more out of boredom and a sense of anticipation as I figure out what Admirals Club to patronize. It's information which is readily available from multiple sources inside of 15 seconds once I'm on the ground, so I can't say I'm going to miss the announcements.
More time to yell at the inevitable idiot PAX who get out of their seats while the plane is still taxiing to the gate...

More seriously, can't say I'll miss that. As mentioned, the info is easy to get nowadays.
Old May 16, 16, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
I have to admit it's no loss for me, as the data were often incomplete (some connecting flights were not read) or incorrect (the gate had been changed since the crew received the connections listings).
Same here. Though in my earlier days of flying I'll admit it was sometimes fun to hear where other pax on the plane were headed (especially the obvious MRers -- e.g. on a LAX-MIA flight, "If you're connecting to... Las Vegas?? Gate D23.")
Old May 16, 16, 8:36 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Reminds me of those large roadside boards at DFW that used to direct pax to 2E or 3E. Won't be missed.
Old May 16, 16, 9:00 am

Programs: AA PLT, AC; Avis PP, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by rjw242 View Post
Same here. Though in my earlier days of flying I'll admit it was sometimes fun to hear where other pax on the plane were headed (especially the obvious MRers -- e.g. on a LAX-MIA flight, "If you're connecting to... Las Vegas?? Gate D23.")
Not to mention the DFW inbounds with three different connecting flights to Austin, all leaving from different terminals.

I agree that this is no great loss, as the inflight WiFi + AA App helpfully highlights where I'll arrive and depart on the extremely detailed terminal maps
Old May 16, 16, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The less use of the PA, the better. This includes connecting gate information, which is often outdated anyway.

Even if you do not have access to a device, there is nothing you can do about the connection situation other than worry.
Old May 16, 16, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
The change, effective May 17, is a concession that technology has rendered the announcements moot, as passengers now travel equipped with an array of Internet-connected gadgets. American also displays gate information via the seat-back screens on its newer aircraft.

“There’s a lot of ways to get that information, and it wasn’t necessarily helpful to provide that on the airplane,” American spokesman Joshua Freed said.
By the same logic, will they no longer announce even the arrival gate or baggage claim?

What about flights without wifi or seat back displays?
Old May 16, 16, 9:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by swag View Post
By the same logic, will they no longer announce even the arrival gate or baggage claim?

What about flights without wifi or seat back displays?
Honestly, the times I've tried accessing connecting information on the seatback displays it was entirely missing or so truncated as to be useless.
Old May 16, 16, 9:39 am

Programs: US Gold
That's a pity. I found them really helpful. In an unfamiliar airport, it isn't always obvious where to find the departure boards and having the information means one less bit of uncertainty as you get off the plane. Plus, not everyone has data plans functioning in every location that can give them updated information.

wg
Old May 16, 16, 9:41 am

I'll admit it was sometimes fun to hear where other pax on the plane were headed (especially the obvious MRers -- e.g. on a LAX-MIA flight, "If you're connecting to... Las Vegas?? Gate D23.")
This is the main reason why I always listen! I still find it amusing to hear the oddball connections.
Old May 16, 16, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, HHonors Gold, RC Rewards Gold, VIPorter
Originally Posted by ShortDog View Post
They might as well also do away with the whole "please keep the aisle free for passengers with tight connections to exit quickly" speech as well. I've never seen anyone stay seated for this.
When they call out the first names and seat numbers of four specific pax it does. Was recited once on approach and a second time while pulling into the gate.
Old May 16, 16, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP & Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+, SPG Plat, Hyatt Globlalist
I've heard on a LAX-ORD "if you are flying back to Los Angeles, your gate is..."

Search this Thread
Search Engine: