Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Ends Inflight Connections Gate Announcements 17 May 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Ends Inflight Connections Gate Announcements 17 May 2016

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
Originally Posted by bse118
Sitting on a DEN-PHX flight where the FA just read a list of connecting flights.

Throwback...

(and to the person travelling from DEN to DRO via PHX...well done on avoiding UA?)
On a late-arriving DFW-LAX flight last night, the captain announced the gates of the onward Hawaii-bound flights. I don't recall ever hearing that before.

Cheers,
LBBZman
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by formeraa
For every flight that is over 15 minutes late, an agent should be standing at the jetway door with connecting gate information.
4 words
Flight information display system, FIDS , the screens you glance up at if you don't have the aa.com app, rather than wait behind 100 people clogging the Jet Bridge door who all need to ask different questions to one person.
Often1 and KBMIFlyer like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I can't think of a better way to slow down late-connecting passengers than to go backwards by 20 years to a time when an agent stood there with a printout that was 15 minutes out-of-date anyway.

Why on earth would you want anything other than the current information available on the app or the display screens and why would anybody want AA to pay someone to stand there with it?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Often1
I can't think of a better way to slow down late-connecting passengers than to go backwards by 20 years to a time when an agent stood there with a printout that was 15 minutes out-of-date anyway.

Why on earth would you want anything other than the current information available on the app or the display screens and why would anybody want AA to pay someone to stand there with it?
It's a generational thing. Would bet dollars to doughnuts that many of the folks above wanting announcements and printouts are on the older side of things and either don't have or don't properly use smartphones. Link to study on smart phone ownership.

I for darn sure do not want a five minute announcement to tell me potentially stale information when it takes me 2.5 seconds to find current information with the device in my hand.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Other than listening to a bunch of destinations I'd rather be flying to I see no advantage when the information is a click away. Also that click will tell you whether your connection is on time or not, or possibly canceled. A FA announcement won't tell you any of that information.
SJOGuy likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Even if flight attendants announce connecting gates, gate assignments can change after the announcement. The flight information display in airports is the best source for connecting gate info: it also tells you whether your connection is on time, earlier flights if you want to depart earlier, and later flights if you misconnect.
SJOGuy likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Sometimes American gets it right when it looks to the future.

They replaced these questionably antiquated announcements with meaningful offers for credit cards and special mileage bonuses at the end of every flight and to make sure you don't miss them, they start an hour before landing. The world's most thoughtful airline!
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
For a while ... seems like earlier this year ... I would get an email from American as soon as the door opened telling what gate my connection was at. I think that has stopped though ... unless it is being caught by a filter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.