Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award downgrade, refused to waive redeposit fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award downgrade, refused to waive redeposit fee?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
These certificates are a legacy thing dating back to when you actually would redeem miles for a paper AAdvantage certificate, then take it to the airport when you actually wanted to ticket. It was printed and bound into a ticket booklet and also typically contained a coupon for a free days rental at Avis.

Now these certs only exist virtually and are invisible to the user.
However, some posters would have you believe that it is a tangible thing that you are of which you are actually in possession.
Old May 21, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by s0ssos
You do not have any fees for award flights though, as EXP. Would there be a charge to "use" the certificate for others, or redeposit it into a certificate? Does it expire? Can you change it (like a biz to first)?
Shouldn't be a charge to use it for others as u can't change O and D. And there shouldn't be any close in charges -- at least in my mind. It's an electronic certificate so it isn't converted into anything. Expiry is standard - One year from when it was pulled/orig ticket issued. Guess u could do a voluntary downgrade to J as long as there would be one segment in F.
Old May 23, 2016, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
It was printed and bound into a ticket booklet and also typically contained a coupon for a free days rental at Avis.
At some point in time, there was a Marriott coupon (some percent off) in there too. I know I actually used that one at some point...
Old May 26, 2016, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Enough
Update: I received AA's response to the DOT complaint today. They are refunding the fee.

The Department of Transportation Aviation Consumer Protection Division has forwarded your correspondence to us regarding the loss of your Business Class seat on the flight you had booked for July. We appreciate this opportunity to respond.
We do everything we can to avoid reseating our First or Business Class customers. However, sometimes security reasons or a change in aircraft due to operational issues may require us to adjust your seat assignment. I've shared your thoughts on this issue with our Executive Management team. Your comments matter to us and can often drive change.
Our personnel should handle these difficult situations with the utmost professionalism. That is why I'm especially sorry to learn that our agents weren't more helpful on this occasion. We have made your feedback available to our General Manager to share with their staff so they can be reminded just how important it is to demonstrate courtesy in situations that have disappointed a good customer.
I have confirmed a refund of the redeposit fee you paid was processed today. Have questions about the status of your refund? Visit www.refunds.aa.com to track the status. Please allow two business days for the information to be available.
Old May 26, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Thanks for posting the resolution and glad it worked out.
Old May 26, 2016, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by durberville
Update: I received AA's response to the DOT complaint today. They are refunding the fee.
Well. I just don't care....

Clearly AA is wrong and you should NOT have gotten that refunded!

(I kid, I kid... )
Old May 27, 2016, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by card1953
Thanks for posting the resolution and glad it worked out.
Yes, +1 for sure. Usually, logic prevails.
Now I just have to get this whole nonsense about the intermediate certificate out of my mind.
Old May 28, 2016, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by durberville
Originally booked all in J on an award ticket: YYZ - ORD - HKG - DPS. A couple months later, YYZ - ORD gets downgraded to Y (new plane, no J operating that day). For a number of reasons, I don't want to fly that ticket anymore. Thought that downgrade would be reason to waive redeposit fee. Front line agent refused. Supervisor refused. Due to timing, decided to pay fee "under protest" and deal with it later.

I filed a DOT complaint, and could file a complaint with the CTA if that fails.

Am I entitled to have the redeposit fee waived? What do you think?

Update (post #64): AA replied to DOT complaint providing a full refund of the fee.
Small claims court? Seriously, the OP is right. The OP contracted with AA to use an award ticket in Business Class for every leg of the journey. If AA changes seating so it is no longer business for ANY leg, then OP is entitled to a full refund....and, to me, that means the ability to redeposit the miles, just as he would get if AA canceled the flights.
EDIT: I see he got his refund. It should NOT have taken a DOT complaint. AA should have a policy in place that prevents this from happening in the future.
Old May 31, 2016, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
EDIT: I see he got his refund. It should NOT have taken a DOT complaint. AA should have a policy in place that prevents this from happening in the future.
Well, they could have policies covering exceptions to policies.
Or they could just empower their agents to solve customer service problems. But the bean counters probably prefer more policies.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
So my sister and family on 4 person J award ticket ORD-LAX just received an equipment swapped from 787 to 737.. an obvious downgrade. No luck in waiving the redeposit fee with agent or supervisor (not out of my account). Do I have any recourse here?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by frudd38
So my sister and family on 4 person J award ticket ORD-LAX just received an equipment swapped from 787 to 737.. an obvious downgrade. No luck in waiving the redeposit fee with agent or supervisor (not out of my account). Do I have any recourse here?
If you are booked in the same cabin then it is not a downgrade. are you in economy or in first/business on the 737?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL, AA PLT, US, HH Gold, BW Diamond, Avis PP, Choice PLT
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you are booked in the same cabin then it is not a downgrade. are you in economy or in first/business on the 737?
Thats not completely true.. A change in airplane that results in a loss of Amenities has been in the past considered enough for the passenger to request a rebooking onto another flight of their liking.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by conklaven
Thats not completely true.. A change in airplane that results in a loss of Amenities has been in the past considered enough for the passenger to request a rebooking onto another flight of their liking.
Ok, I will bite. What amenities are lost in this equipment swap?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL, AA PLT, US, HH Gold, BW Diamond, Avis PP, Choice PLT
Originally Posted by dickinson
Ok, I will bite. What amenities are lost in this equipment swap?
this particular swap i have no clue... But as an example if you booked a business class seat that was lie flat and now are moved to a non lie flat airplane this is considered grounds for a free rebooking. Not sure in this posters case what each aircraft has on it I was commenting in response to the claim that as long as you are in the same class you have no case. Same class different seat is a justifiable reason for requesting a change in ticket. (not a refund or credit though)
Old Jun 7, 2016, 4:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Okay a couple more huaca's and was able to get the redeposit fees waived. Equipment swap is in the CoC for refund as noted by a post by OMAAT on the 787 PVG swap earlier this year, although that was an intl itinerary. Regardless, widebody lie flat to regional seems more than a justifiable reason imo, the only reason we booked this particular time/date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.