Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SWU / Systemwide Upgrade problems, issues, glitch

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWU / Systemwide Upgrade problems, issues, glitch

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2016, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

She's wrong
Old May 29, 2016, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL Sil, UA Sil, Hyatt Global, MR Amb, Hilton Diamond, National Exec, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by gary_nj
I am on the phone with an EXP agent right now trying to use a SWU.

My routing is Tokyo to Sao Paulo, booked as three segments:
HND-LAX
LAX-DFW
DFW-GRU

Straight through, just two-hour connections between each segment. As I understand it, a single SWU should cover up to three flights, so I expect a single SWU to cover this route.

HND-LAX is waitlisted but LAX-DFW and DFW-GRU can be confirmed immediately.

Here is the surprising part: The agent says, "I can confirm the two segments now, but if HND-LAX opens up later, it will require an additional SWU." I ask her if there is any way to verify that, as I do this sort of thing all the time, and when the waitlisted segment opens, it gets covered under the already-used SWU... She not-so-patiently says, "That's not how it works." She is insisting that this one-way trip would require two SWUs if the waitlisted flight becomes available later.

I'll call back tomorrow to see what is in the record, but is there anything that I am missing here? Thanks.
She's wrong.

It's one thing to not have proper training but being pleasant helps. What bothers me more than anything are EXP agents that angrily tell me things that are wrong. It seems to happen more often than not these days.
Old May 29, 2016, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Called in >6mo ago to waitlist a SWU. Per the Agent at the time, "all is well."

Sure enough, I get to the airport and there's no record of my request. The helpful AC agent searched and searched, and eventually put me on the list, but no dice.

It sure would be nice if SWU requests could be waitlisted properly...

Originally Posted by LetsGoToo
It's one thing to not have proper training but being pleasant helps. What bothers me more than anything are EXP agents that angrily tell me things that are wrong. It seems to happen more often than not these days.
OH-EMM-GEE, it's out of flipping control.
Old May 30, 2016, 12:08 am

SWU with a companion, different position on list?

SWU with a companion, different position on list?

Well, I was able to clear one of my SWU's on a recent flight; however, something strange happened. The upgrade list opens up (day of flight upgrade list) and I'm in position 1 on the list (which eventually clears), my companion, travelling in the same PNR, is dead bottom of the list (position 9, IIRC). The US Air club in CLT told me that the list is arranged by status of the pax; however, that's not how I've heard this works. I thought that pax in the same PNR upgraded together (highest priority) not seperately.

So, question is; is this how it's supposed to work? If there were 2 seats, would they have cleared my companion before number 2 on the list? Or is there really no advantage to having a Exp in the PNR when applying a SWU? And, if so, it sounds like we should ALWAYS split PNRs, without question, when attemping to use a SWU; there's no advantage at all to having 2 pax in a single record even if one of them is an EP and the other is dirt?

Thanks!
Old May 30, 2016, 12:26 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Once it goes to airport control it goes to individual status but prior to that a lower status companion will share your status. If only one seat opens up then you will be passed over as a pair. I don't know if that's common though. I've only failed to clear both persons twice.
Old May 30, 2016, 2:07 am

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Yep unfortunately at the airport. The PALL list codes only have VIP1 (which you gain as EXP) but your companion will just be VIP (so behind even Golds using mileage and copay). Your best bet is to clear at booking or at a route that will more likely have C space open up.
Old May 30, 2016, 4:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Yep

This just happened to us, we booked months and months prior one side from NRT cleared right away but the outbound went to airport control. My fiancé was #2 on the list as an exp but I was #12 as plat. They would have given him the seat we had to request to have him skipped.
Old May 30, 2016, 4:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Called in >6mo ago to waitlist a SWU. Per the Agent at the time, "all is well."

Sure enough, I get to the airport and there's no record of my request.
Is there a way to double check online or via app if the SWU has been correctly waitlisted or do I have to call the EXP desk and talk to an agent?
Old May 30, 2016, 4:57 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb., Marriott Gold, FB Plat, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by fredshino
Is there a way to double check online or via app if the SWU has been correctly waitlisted or do I have to call the EXP desk and talk to an agent?
Yes. Go to AA.com. Don't log in to your account. Enter your Pnr and name and you see te reservation. If you are waitlisted you see this as an separate segment.
Old May 30, 2016, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by jongesander
Yes. Go to AA.com. Don't log in to your account. Enter your Pnr and name and you see te reservation. If you are waitlisted you see this as an separate segment.
This doesn't make any sense.
Old May 30, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
So, I'm curious about the SWU waitlist to confirmed seat process.

Recently I have booked three PHL to various overseas flights and have been SWU waitlisted for 6 of the various segments (Y>J).

I have been diligently checking expert flyer for "C" availability. On 3 of the segments, I have since seen availability AFTER already being waitlisted for the SWUs to clear. After seeing them, I call in to the EXP line and they have processed my upgrades without issue.

My question/comment is, why didn't this occur without my intervention? If I am on the waitlist and "C" seats become available, why are my SWUs not automatically processed? Do I really need to be monitoring this myself (The "FT anthem", I suppose) or am I just being too hyper-diligent? Is it expected that I call AA after using expert flyer on a semi-routine basis?
Old May 30, 2016, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Chewie
My question/comment is, why didn't this occur without my intervention? If I am on the waitlist and "C" seats become available, why are my SWUs not automatically processed? Do I really need to be monitoring this myself (The "FT anthem", I suppose) or am I just being too hyper-diligent? Is it expected that I call AA after using expert flyer on a semi-routine basis?
It is a batch process, C inventory is released and soon after the wait list is processed.

If you are on a hair-trigger you will end up calling before the list has had a chance to be processed.
Old May 30, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by dkc192
This is true, but since OP's companion is a non-elite (non-EXP for that matter), on the airport PALL list he receives the same "priority" as non-elites/general AAdvantage members for the upgrade, which basically amounts to last on the list.
Exactly. I learned this the hard way. A non elite companion has your status ahead of time but once it switches over to the airport list, they become peons again.
Old May 30, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by jongesander
I was not aware of this and just tried it for an upcoming trip to ICN where I have an SWU request from business to first. I pulled up the reservation as suggested (while not logged into my account) and see no separate segment notification. Called the EXP line and they assure me the SWU request is in the system. Has anyone else used this method? Should I b concerned and keep calling the EXP line until I see it come up as suggested in this post?
Old May 30, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb., Marriott Gold, FB Plat, BAEC Silver

This is what I see. Don't know if this works for anyone. Some people reported that you also can see this in Tripcase (although this method don't work at me).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.