Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Will I retain status benefit (upgrade, seat, baggage, etc.) after losing status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will I retain status benefit (upgrade, seat, baggage, etc.) after losing status?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2016, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG, DL Silver, Hilton Gold

Quick question to all, I had AA PLT and lost it at the end of February and now I do not have any status. If I booked the flight before I lost my status and was able to request an upgrade at the time, will I still be on the upgrade list now after losing my status. If so, am I on the list as a PLT flyer or on the bottom of the list with no status?

I still had some benefits when traveling after my elite status expired in March such as access to the lounge and priority security line acess on a flight to another continent, but then didn't get the 100% bonus miles so I am unsure how the benefits work for flights booked before losing the status in regards to upgrades.
Old May 10, 2016, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG, DL Silver, Hilton Gold
Booked a flight and requested an upgrade before losing elite status

Quick question to all, I had AA PLT and lost it at the end of February and now I do not have any status. If I booked the flight before I lost my status and was able to request an upgrade at the time, will I still be on the upgrade list now after losing my status. If so, am I on the list as a PLT flyer or on the bottom of the list with no status?

I still had some benefits when traveling after my elite status expired in March such as access to the lounge and priority security line acess on a flight to another continent, but then didn't get the 100% bonus miles so I am unsure how the benefits work for flights booked before losing the status in regards to upgrades.
Old May 10, 2016, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
other experts can correct me if I'm wrong... believe for flights, it's the status when you book the travel matters (will show on BP, so you could still get lounge access). for upgrade request could be the request time.

same for trips booked before becoming elite, have to call and request them update your booking to reflect the status change (and could be very hard with partner airlines).
Old May 10, 2016, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by hfnole

You are not entitled to any benefits on flights after your status expires. Any benefit you get is an error. While you might be able to use your boarding pass for Plt privileges, you are not entitled to them. So, yes,if you BP says PLT, it is possible you might get upgraded based on that status, even though you are not entitled.

Last edited by mvoight; May 10, 2016 at 10:47 pm
Old May 10, 2016, 10:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by hfnole

Two things here:

We don't have a clue what kind of upgrade, nor where. Domestic? International? 500 milers? Miles and copay? For example, no status is not allowed e500 use in most circumstances; if you were assigned an upgrade on the basis of e500s, you could find yourself without an upgrade and without an assigned seat - hello, middle seat at the rear end of the aircraft. Waitlisted? You're at the end of the queue, I'm afraid.

Your status expired the last day of February. You won't have status-based lounge access (nor priority access, nor upgrade priority most likely - maybe no upgrade at all, as far as that goes). Any status-based benefits you may have had when you purchased the ticket are no longer valid - though if the PNR has not been updated with your status loss, you might get a benefit or two - but I'd not count on it.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I was able to snag a morning seat to PBI on Thursday. The inventory is incredibly tight but after about 30 minutes refreshing periodically, I saw one seat open up (and quickly disappear) on each connection point: CLT, ORD, DCA and DFW. (I took the last CLT seat).

During my long chat with the EXP agent, she said that AA re-opens station operations in three stages: Day One is limited service (undefined but apparently less than 50%); Day Two is 50% service; Day Three is normal operations.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:31 pm

NOTE: AA future bookings through 2017 (initially) to or from areas in SE USA and Caribbean affected by hurricane Irma are being dealt with in this thread:

AA policy: Flights booked to hurricane affected areas through 2017 (link)

AA has developed a change fee and rebooking policy that is dependent on different locations. In some cases it covers bookings made prior to hurricane Irma through 2017 and rebooking for travel as far out as 30 Sep 2018.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:28 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Nice to see that AA has extended the waiver for SXM to include flights to August 31, 2018 (a few days ago it was still only to December 31, 2017).

But I'm not sure what good it does me to re-book to SXM another day before September 30, 2018 given the shape the island seems to be in. I would much rather be able to change to another airport in the vicinity - SKB, in particular - or just get a refund.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Hey guys so i'm just going to update.

I have a CCS-MIA-GCM-MIA-CCS flight for the 27th. I'm no longer feeling comfortable or confident to do my trip. Too many hurricanes and the conference i was attending in Cayman is pending of a thread.

I no longer feel comfortable or secure doing my trip. Too many weather issues. My Mom and Dad are even stressed with my trip. So, this is a new scenario for me, i have never missed a flight in my life.

If i don't want to fly this schedule how can i ask AA for a refund to my CC? Is this possible? I guess not, but i want some feedback here. All i want now is a refund, if not possible, to be refunded in vouchers but not to lose the money i paid for the ticket.

I called AA and they told me that so far changes are allowed up until the 20th. To keep waiting. Do you guys think that my schedule could fit in the waiver period? Or you guys don't think it will extend further than the 20th?

The AA agent told me also to write to customer service via aa.com webpage explaining how i felt about this whole trip to see if they could also help. (Is this realistic?)

My ticket was $530 it is non refundable. And i was told penalty was $300. I'm such a newbie in this, never ever have modified a travel date or bought a ticket i'm not possibly able to fly.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Nice to see that AA has extended the waiver for SXM to include flights to August 31, 2018 (a few days ago it was still only to December 31, 2017).

But I'm not sure what good it does me to re-book to SXM another day before September 30, 2018 given the shape the island seems to be in. I would much rather be able to change to another airport in the vicinity - SKB, in particular - or just get a refund.
We were scheduled SXM-MIA-SFO 23 Nov. our transatlantic cruise operating compchsbged disembarkation to BGI. I called AA and got changed to BGI-MIA-SFO without change fees, only the change in fare was added.

Code:
Hurricane Irma - St. Maarten
 Information current as of September 13, 2017

If you’re traveling to/through/from:

St. Maarten, St. Maarten (SXM)
 The change fee may be waived if you:

• Are traveling on an American Airlines flight
  • Bought your ticket by September 10, 2017
  • Are scheduled to travel September 5 - December 31, 2017
  • Can travel September 10, 2017 - September 30, 2018
  • Don't change your origin or destination city
  • Rebook in the same cabin or pay the difference
  • Change your trip
If your trip is eligible, you can change it online. Here’s how: Find your trip (link on aa.com) If your trip is eligible, you’ll see the option to ‘change trip’ in the toolbar Look up your trip (link on aa.com) Call Reservations Can't change your trip online? Contact Reservations
As shown in the thread linked to in the Wikipost, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...gh-2017-a.html.

The confusing parts were 1) the policy isn't as well written and clear as it could be, and 2) the agent was bound and determined to misread the policy and kept telling me the change fee waiver only applied through 30 Sepm2027, until I kept repeating it was 30 Sep 2018 and the waiver was for flights to or from SXM booked through 31 Dec 2017. Yep, a long time EP agent.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: spg plat, AA PLAT, Hertz 5 star
Seems as though BA didn't get the memo about waiving change fees. After talking to AA they put me on a BA and claimed that there will be no extra charges, BA still charged the CC --- getting it reversed is proving to be very difficult and painful.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Valmiki
Seems as though BA didn't get the memo about waiving change fees. After talking to AA they put me on a BA and claimed that there will be no extra charges, BA still charged the CC --- getting it reversed is proving to be very difficult and painful.
I'm a bit dense here, but trying to understand why AA IROPS policy would affect BA?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: spg plat, AA PLAT, Hertz 5 star
Originally Posted by JDiver
I'm a bit dense here, but trying to understand why AA IROPS policy would affect BA?
My original schedule was flying on AA though Miami with a final destination being LHR. Since MIA was not operational I was put on BA to get to London. AA mentioned that the change would not cost anything due to the waiver.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Valmiki
My original schedule was flying on AA though Miami with a final destination being LHR. Since MIA was not operational I was put on BA to get to London. AA mentioned that the change would not cost anything due to the waiver.
Ah. Thanks for the explanation.

I'd call AA once more - you had a waived change, AA put you on BA (presumably endorsing the ticket over and making the changes) so it's up to AA as the ticket issued to make BA Whole again (but as the JBA assures revenue neutrality, there's presumably nothing for BA anyway). What did BA charge your credit card for?
Old Sep 30, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Looks like AA updated their waiver for SJU sometime this week to allow changes in origin and destination. Of course, difference in fare applies.

If I rebook for a trip that has a lower fare, should I still expect to get the difference back as a refund or voucher (I'm guessing it's a voucher), or does "difference in fare" only apply to higher fares?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.