Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Will I retain status benefit (upgrade, seat, baggage, etc.) after losing status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will I retain status benefit (upgrade, seat, baggage, etc.) after losing status?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2018, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Alec84
You are absolutely sure that the information will move from AA's system to AY's system so quickly? When it comes to crediting miles, it always takes an eternity AY=>AA in comparison to flying AA or BA, that's why I hoped the status expiration could have a similar lag.
The point is there is no entitlement, so it is wrong to suggest anything in this forum which violates terms and conditions.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
The point is there is no entitlement, so it is wrong to suggest anything in this forum which violates terms and conditions.
What you are saying is just wrong. Imagine these situations:

I buy a bag in advance and walk-up to the check-in desk.

"Hello, I'm checking in one bag to Helsinki."
"Hello, our system says that you can check-in two bags."
"That is a mistake. My status expired two days ago and I can only check-in one bag."
"I don't really care. This is what my system says. If you want to check-in one more bag you can do it."

"Hello, I'm checking in one bag to Helsinki."
"Your fare class does not include baggage. The price is €30 for one piece."
"OK, I'll pay by credit card."

Unlike some threads and pieces of advice on FT, I'm not trying to cheat or do anything wrong. I only don't want to pay for something that no-one might even make me pay for. They will not take my money, no matter how much I would want to pay, if their system will say that I can check-in one bag. There must be dozens of people in similar situations every year. That's why I asked.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Preferred seats after losing elite status

Im currently AA Gold but I didn’t qualify this year and will lose my status 1/31. However, I just booked a flight for after February when I will not have Gold anymore.

I just logged into my account and I can select preferred seating at $0.

What will happen when I actually fly? Will I get bumped back to economy on 2/1? Will I be asked to pay for the preferred seats? Or will I just get to keep my selected seats?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by RedElmo
Im currently AA Gold but I didn’t qualify this year and will lose my status 1/31. However, I just booked a flight for after February when I will not have Gold anymore.

What will happen when I actually fly? Will I get bumped back to economy on 2/1? Will I be asked to pay for the preferred seats? Or will I just get to keep my selected seats?
Unless there is an aircraft change, you will probably keep the seats
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:52 pm

How about if I want to pay for exit row seats? Will I only get the 50% discount before January 31? If I buy the exit row seats now, will I keep them after my status expires? Thanks.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hamburglar
How about if I want to pay for exit row seats? Will I only get the 50% discount before January 31? If I buy the exit row seats now, will I keep them after my status expires? Thanks.
The same principle as above - though it may not be policy, it works in practice. If you obtain seats and then lose status, your elite companion moves off the flight, etc. you most likely won't lose your seats. Best to purchase them now while you can get them for a discounted price.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite

Originally Posted by mvoight
Unless there is an aircraft change, you will probably keep the seats
Once you lose your status, do not do a SEAT CHANGE. When you select to change your seats you will only be offered seats for which your new status qualifies.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by controller1
Once you lose your status, do not do a SEAT CHANGE. When you select to change your seats you will only be offered seats for which your new status qualifies.
Ah. Makes sense. So as long as I don’t touch it then I’ll keep the seat that I have.

Or or make any changes before 1/31. =D
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite

Ah. Makes sense. So as long as I don’t touch it then I’ll keep the seat that I have.

Correct.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Of course, if AA makes an aircraft change or substitution, you’re likely to lose the premium seat.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Of course, if AA makes an aircraft change or substitution, you’re likely to lose the premium seat.
If I paid for exit row seats at 50% off and there is an aircraft change, will they keep me in the new exit row seats or refund me the money?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
Originally Posted by potus18

Come February 1st, you won’t have access to Platinum benefits. You should pre-pay for the baggage.
In case someone is interested or for future reference, this is what happened:

Got to check in the bag for free and text on boarding pass welcomed me to the lounge, which I happily enjoyed. And BTW, on Feb 28th a BA boarding pass that said OWS let me use two lounges at LHR.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 6:32 am
Suspended

I have a relative who was Gold, and now doesn't have status. But the relative still has 4 500-mile upgrades in the AA account.

Is there any way for anyone to use these 500-mile upgrades, since the account holder no longer has AA elite status?

Thanks.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:07 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Not that I know of. I have 18, DW has 14. Have had them forever. Didn't travel enough to have more than Gold, so couldn't use them anyway where we traveled.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
I have a relative who was Gold, and now doesn't have status. But the relative still has 4 500-mile upgrades in the AA account.

Is there any way for anyone to use these 500-mile upgrades, since the account holder no longer has AA elite status?

Thanks.
No one else can use them. It will stay in your account forever. Or until AA changes their mind. And you can use them again when you regain status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.