Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Future of AA at PHX / Phoenix Sky Harbor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: Future of AA at PHX / Phoenix Sky Harbor?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:24 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by Fanjet
There is no SFO-LAX-PHX or SJC-LAX-PHX late evening options? I know it involves a connection. But still.
No, on the days I checked the last LAX-PHX is 7:30pm.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:27 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by millionmiler
Sure, but they have decided that they don't want the business at that price. AA's goal is not to maintain market share at any cost.

That basic economic trade off just cannot be a surprise to you.
Well nothing surprises me, but the flights are always full (I know, that means nothing) and the prices are consistently higher than the competition, and seem sufficiently high to get good margins given today's fuel prices. Obviously they could have decided that there are more lucrative options, but it's unclear where those aircraft have gone.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by mediator
I am surprised to see AA is still keeping PHX as a hub. Too many overlapping destinations with DFW or LAX already.
Originally Posted by mediator
But Phoenix has two airports and G4 is dominating AZA. I'm sure even if WN moves into PHX, they will have a hard time to compete with G4.
- WN is already in PHX.

- PHX serves a metro catchment of around 4.6 million people. That's larger than DEN, CLT, MSP, SLC, SEA, all hubs that support at least one airline (in some cases two, in DEN's case, three).

If AA can't make service work out of a top-15 US metro area, they're not a very good airline. There is already natural demand for service because the 4+ million people who live there aren't planning on driving 400 miles to LAX in order to fly on an airplane. This isn't MEM we're discussing here (which was a much smaller catchment). It's not even LAS (also significantly smaller) or SJC.

If AA decides they don't want to serve a market of 4+ million people, someone (AS, B6, WN) will happily take their money, but there is money in the market, especially in an era where the airlines are fat and happy with domestic profits.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
AA has already moved LUS A321's to presumably more lucrative DFW-based routes, so as long as there is customer demand, aircraft to service the demand, at a reasonable return, from gates they already own, I see little reason to bail on PHX.

Similar / stronger arguments can be made about CLT and PHL, will be interesting to see how Parker responds during the next recession.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
If AA can't make service work out of a top-15 US metro area, they're not a very good airline
True. but AA can "make service work"in PHX regardless of whether it maintains a hub at PHX or if it downsizes to more of a focus city. I think they still have a way to go to figure out what PHX will be in the long run for AA.

people who live there aren't planning on driving 400 miles to LAX in order to fly on an airplane.
Who would say these people would get in a car all of a sudden? Air service is still available for all former hubs, if that fate awaits PHX nobody is going to do what you seem to be saying is the alternative if PHX is not an AA hub in the future.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
True. but AA can "make service work"in PHX regardless of whether it maintains a hub at PHX or if it downsizes to more of a focus city.
Exactly how many top 15 cities in the USA don't have a hub in them?

That'd be "zero" (if you consider the San Bernadino/Riverside area served by LAX).

I suggest it's pretty obvious that a US metropolitan area of 4 million people can easily support a hub with O/D traffic alone, given that they all do. Several cities in the 2-4 million population range have hubs supporting multiple airlines (SEA, DEN).

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
Air service is still available for all former hubs, if that fate awaits PHX nobody is going to do what you seem to be saying is the alternative if PHX is not an AA hub in the future.
Service to DFW/LAX/ORD/JFK/CLT/PHL/MIA/DCA and forcing connections at LAX/DFW/ORD/CLT to go anywhere else isn't going to cut it if you're living in PHX, when WN is going to have many, many more nonstop options out of the PHX market.

But you are correct, nobody flying out of PHX is going to drive to LAX to fly if AA leaves the market. But they aren't going to stick with AA either on crappy connecting flights. They're going to defect to an airline with nonstop service (WN), and someone will probably move in and try and serve those customers with an alternative (given that top 15 metro areas where some airline goes "here, take my customers!" don't exist in the US any more). B6 or AS would move on that in a hot minute.

This is part of the story of how WN has become the beast that it is, because they vacuumed up customers the legacies have left on the floor from abandoned hubs in SJC, PIT, STL, OAK, LAS and SAN once the legacies left town and gutted service. This is also how B6 picked up their JFK and BOS hubs. This is how AS picked up SEA (as UA slowly drew it down from a focus city to a spoke) as well as presences in SJC/SAN.

The thing is this isn't the 1990's/2000's any more. Airlines make profits now. So "we have to cut the airline back and drop a top 15 metro area because we're running out of money" isn't how AA has to operate. And if AA's going to try and grow against the competition, what makes more sense; giving away a ton of customers in PHX so they can claw those customers back in QLA/NYC/CHI (all three of those markets having multiple large carriers), or keeping a top 15 metro hub (and again, it's not like there's empty top 15 metros you can add hubs to)?

So... rightsize PHX, sure. But that's not going to be a lot different than current operations. Drop it as a hub? Well, if UA can make DEN work against WN and F9... and AS and DL can make SEA work... why can't AA make PHX work?

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jun 23, 2017 at 4:20 pm
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I think many opinions here are being made based on a 1983 Rand McNally road atlas. "Lookie - Phoenix is a little desert town. Why would anyone want to put an airline hub there?"
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA exp, Marriott Amb
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I think many opinions here are being made based on a 1983 Rand McNally road atlas. "Lookie - Phoenix is a little desert town. Why would anyone want to put an airline hub there?"
I think many opinions here are being made based on the weather showing 120 degrees in Phoenix. It makes people wonder who would intentionally fly through there.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA,DL
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Yes I see LAX more profitable O&D and PHX domestic connections. Somewhat like the relationship between PHL & JFK, albeit both PHL & JFK have International while PHX likely will only see certain Mexico, Canada and a few Central America.

This Is the One area That I'm suprised AA or US has not tried to grow. Mex and Central south America. Europe with BA and I'll bet AA one day with a 787 could work in the coming years. Hnd Nrt is a ways off but Mexico and down farther south sure seems like it could be a gateway to.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Geographically, PHX is about as well-positioned to be a hub for the Mountain West as MSO (had to look up Missoula).

SLC, DEN and CLT are hubs because they're geographically well suited to domestic connecting traffic, and there's a reasonable amount of local traffic. PHX has the latter but not the former, unless one's origin and/or destination is in the Southwest. [even though CLT is positioned near a "corner" of the country, the population density in the mid-Atlantic and SE mean that it's a very different proposition than PHX]

AA will not de-hub PHX because having it is better than not having a Mountain West hub at all (and LAX is a non-starter due to both location and capacity), but pmAA did reasonably well without it pre-merger (at least, I doubt their problems were due to the absence of a hub over there). Sure, they couldn't do much for routes in the Mountain West but I sort of doubt that the PHX hub would have been a big part of the valuation were the acquisition to have been the other way around.

But fine-tuning the fleet to better serve the entire network - if that means reducing capacity at PHX, why not? It's not like hanging onto market share in/via PHX doesn't come at an opportunity cost (in the short term)...

Interestingly, of the largest 20 metropolitan areas in the US, there seem to be a few that aren't really hubs. (granted, my source was wikipedia. I'm lazy, but these don't seem too far off https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_Areas)

#10 : BOS (yes, B6 and AA connect a bunch of NE traffic, but really? Not in the true sense of a hub, IMO. Would be a great hub location for TATL but that isn't the case either)
#13 : ONT (LAX is a bit of a haul)
#17 : SAN (geography)
#18 : TPA (MIA won South America)
#20 : STL (which is too bad, as the proximity to both ORD and DFW killed it)

Oddly enough, CLT which is a pretty big domestic hub by any standard, comes in at #22 , and SLC at #48 (!). FWIW, PHX clocks in at #12 .
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by beyondhere
WN dominated Q1 of 2014 and Q1 of 2015 in fare and marketshare. Maybe an uptick of snowbird traffic (which is leisure driven), but the two are pretty close year-round from 2014 data, although this was US (for 2014). It's just interesting from a DCA vs. BWI perspective, more than a AA vs. WN perspective, as the assumed knowledge was that DCA is a premium fare airport over BWI.

Fortunately for both of them, neither F9 or NK has ventured on PHX-BWI/IAD. That would cause fare drops by WN and AA on PHX-WAS fares.

As WN has become a high fare carrier, it might not be such a concern and AA might co-exist there with WN, but WN dominates too many PHX routes. It's one thing as DL dominates PHX-ATL and DL dominates it's flights to it's 2-3 hubs, but WN has too many hubs/large stations on the other side, where it dominates both fare and marketshare (California, Chicago, DEN, Texas, STL, etc.) from PHX. I think lack of change fees and easy schedule changing, might be why people are selecting Southwest in PHX on those routes.
I wonder if this trend has changed any in the year since this tread started..
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Exactly how many top 15 cities in the USA don't have a hub in them?

That'd be "zero" (if you consider the San Bernadino/Riverside area served by LAX).
I don't That's like saying SAC and FAT are served by SFO if you take traffic into account. Half the distance, twice the traffic.

There are metropolitan areas outside the top 15 that are hubs - so geography does count (as do weather, topography, financial incentives etc.). Not saying population doesn't count - but rather, that it's not everything.

(and I still don't think of BOS as a true hub; at least not in the sense that ORD, IAH, DFW, DEN etc. are)
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by diver858
AA has already moved LUS A321's to presumably more lucrative DFW-based routes, so as long as there is customer demand, aircraft to service the demand, at a reasonable return, from gates they already own, I see little reason to bail on PHX.

Similar / stronger arguments can be made about CLT and PHL, will be interesting to see how Parker responds during the next recession.

Phx is Badly needed. IF and I mean IF Phx Was dehubbed they would ONLY have LAX and LAX is A Gateway HUB not a connecting HUB. Phx is a Connecting HUB. AA presence is crappy already in western US. North/south up and down the coast is awful and AS is needed. For the worlds largest airline they need a better presece in the PNW and Up and down the coast. IF Phx was Axed DL and others would be right there to gobble it up.

Um IF and when there comes a down turn I hope Doug Parker is in retirement. Personally I think He's done it all and would like to see some fresh visions for AA. He's done a amazing Job I starting Flying in the 90's on HP right after he became boss.
Oh I've not liked a few of his visions but for the most part he's done the impossible and should get out while He's got a dam good legacy. (I know there is plenty of cheap and annoying decision) Big Picture.
Please no inflammatory comments about him if you don't like him.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
back in the pre-merger days, I found myself flying a lot for work to Mexico (different cities).
While US airways was on a different alliance, their connections through PHX were the best when going to Mexico.
As much as I wanted to fly AA for status, the flights through DFW were just awful, so I just flew US.
I don't think the market for CA commuters to Mex (or vice versa) is small by any means.

Should AA eliminate PHX and I need to fly to Mexico I would probably fly an airline with more convenient itineraries than through DFW/IAH/DEN/SLC.

Also, I don't think LAX has the capacity to absorb all the gates in PHX. Someone that says differently has not been to PHX or LAX.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by melkor
I think many opinions here are being made based on the weather showing 120 degrees in Phoenix. It makes people wonder who would intentionally fly through there.
Yep. Seems to me there's some overaction because 2 days out of the year PHX has had a "weather" issue. Last I checked you don't have to leave the airport to connect on AA so outside of a warmer than normal jetway and taxi the operations run pretty smooth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.