Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: FAQ: Missing / Skipping Segment - Hidden City / Point Beyond Ticketing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 6, 2016, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: FAQ: Missing / Skipping Segment - Hidden City / Point Beyond Ticketing

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2011, 3:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Global, Miles and More SEN,
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
If the first segment gets you in to the US, then you can pick up your bags at custom and never make it to your next flight.

I don't think airlines like it when you try to circumvent their pricing schemes by buying segments to other cities that you don't plan on going to because it's cheaper overall. It's called married-segment logic. However, if you don't make a habit out of it, I doubt they'll go after you.

I don't think you'll be able to check your bags part way, though, so your only chance to rescue your luggage is at customs... or don't check-in any luggage.
I'm going jfk-zrh-lhr-fra.

I just actually need to go to zrh. From reading your and others posts it seems like this won't be very hard, except that would prefer to check bags. On LX i have just asked them to only check me and the bag to zrh (for example). I don't do it often and it has never presented a problem. Do you know if, for example, I can ask the same on AA? Has anyone done it before without a repricing?
Old Dec 9, 2011, 12:20 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by begemot
I'm going jfk-zrh-lhr-fra.

I just actually need to go to zrh. From reading your and others posts it seems like this won't be very hard, except that would prefer to check bags. On LX i have just asked them to only check me and the bag to zrh (for example). I don't do it often and it has never presented a problem. Do you know if, for example, I can ask the same on AA? Has anyone done it before without a repricing?
Is your ZRH-LHR connection overnight? When I've had overnight connections I haven't had any issue with bags being checked only as far as I'm going that day. Is your fare eligible for a stopover? If so add that in and then you'll definitely be able to get your bags back.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 6:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by begemot
I've never tried before on AA, can I just ask at check-in to only check me in (and my bags) to the first segement? Can you do this online?

If it can be problematic, are there any recommendations, e.g. curbside check in better, a good story, etc?
The airlines, including AA, are well aware of the Hidden City ticketing scheme. That is where someone purchases a less expensive ticket that goes beyond their real destination. They circumvent this by refusing to check bags only to the connection point. Another anti-Hidden City tactic is to cancel all remaining segments of an itinerary if a single segment is skipped. Thus, in order to make this work, Zurich needs to be your real final destination / home.

If you were flying into the US and desired to stay at the city where the plane first enters the US, you would be advised to get your bags out of Customs, then just leave the airport.

However, you are ticketed through Zurich with a final destination Frankfurt. In my experience, when flying to Europe, they check your bags to the final destination. The only exception would be if there was a stopover in Zurich.

Hidden City ticketing is actually fraudulent, though many people get away with it every day. The airlines know this and use data-mining techniques to identify frequent violators. Such people get a stink-o-gram in the mail with scary sounding legal terms, such as fraud, settlement, forfiture, etc.

The standard advice is:

1. Take only carryon luggage
2. Skip only the last segments of the trip
3. Don't make a habit of it
Old Dec 9, 2011, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
The airlines, including AA, are well aware of the Hidden City ticketing scheme. That is where someone purchases a less expensive ticket that goes beyond their real destination. They circumvent this by refusing to check bags only to the connection point. Another anti-Hidden City tactic is to cancel all remaining segments of an itinerary if a single segment is skipped. Thus, in order to make this work, Zurich needs to be your real final destination / home.

If you were flying into the US and desired to stay at the city where the plane first enters the US, you would be advised to get your bags out of Customs, then just leave the airport.

However, you are ticketed through Zurich with a final destination Frankfurt. In my experience, when flying to Europe, they check your bags to the final destination. The only exception would be if there was a stopover in Zurich.

Hidden City ticketing is actually fraudulent, though many people get away with it every day. The airlines know this and use data-mining techniques to identify frequent violators. Such people get a stink-o-gram in the mail with scary sounding legal terms, such as fraud, settlement, forfiture, etc.

The standard advice is:

1. Take only carryon luggage
2. Skip only the last segments of the trip
3. Don't make a habit of it
I would think an overnight connection would have the same impact as a stopover on checked luggage, but I could be wrong. Last couple of times I've had an overnight connection (at ORD for DCA-ORD-LHR and at LHR for BOS-LHR-NCE) I didn't even have to ask about having bags checked through only to the connecting city.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Upgraded!
I would think an overnight connection would have the same impact as a stopover on checked luggage, but I could be wrong. Last couple of times I've had an overnight connection (at ORD for DCA-ORD-LHR and at LHR for BOS-LHR-NCE) I didn't even have to ask about having bags checked through only to the connecting city.
The baggage stations at the airports generally dont want to hold your bags overnight and then reload it to the outgoing flights the next day.

Very often the check-in agents would actually ask you to NOT check the bats thru but take it off at the overnight stop. If they dont offer it you could easily ask for it citing various reasons - dont want to lose the bags, need to access the contents in the bag during the overnight stop, etc etc. Though very often you dont even need to ask as you have noticed already.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 4:21 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Global, Miles and More SEN,
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
I would think an overnight connection would have the same impact as a stopover on checked luggage
Originally Posted by Happy
don't want to lose the bags, need to access the contents in the bag during the overnight stop, etc etc. Though very often you dont even need to ask as you have noticed already.
I have a 3 hour layover. I think I will just try and if they ask I'll say i'm doing shopping in zurich. Thanks guys.

Bege
Old Dec 10, 2011, 4:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by Happy
The baggage stations at the airports generally dont want to hold your bags overnight and then reload it to the outgoing flights the next day.

Very often the check-in agents would actually ask you to NOT check the bats thru but take it off at the overnight stop. If they dont offer it you could easily ask for it citing various reasons - dont want to lose the bags, need to access the contents in the bag during the overnight stop, etc etc. Though very often you dont even need to ask as you have noticed already.
I have checked baggage through with ~23 hour overnight connections in LHR and HKG this year. I was simply asked if I wanted my bag checked to my final destination.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:51 am

American Airlines: Is it possible to skip part of a flight?

I booked a flight with american airlines: vienna => london => LA => vegas and back a few weeks later.

now I'm thinking about skipping the last part of my flight to vegas, stay a few days in LA instead and book some other flight a few days later. I thought, I get my checked-in-baggage in LA because of customs anyway, so that wouldn't be a concern.

now I read, if i skip the first part of the flight, the whole journey gets cancelled. but what happens, when I skip the last part of my outward journey, will they even go that far and cancel my flight home?

thanks for your help!
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:53 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, negotiableme. I am moving this over to the American Airlines Forum for discussion.
All best wishes...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Yes, they will cancel your flight home. Your option is to change and have your ticket re-priced. If that proves too expensive, consider flying your LAX-LAS flight as scheduled and book a spereate LAS-LAX-LAS (can be done cheaply) to get yourself back to LA and then back to LAS for your onward flight home.

Last edited by sukn; Dec 11, 2011 at 12:27 pm
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA, UA/CO, DL
Yes, your return flights will be canceled.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:16 pm

thanks for the quick answer, sorry for posting in the wrong forum at first!

I'll try and call them tomorrow, i the cange costs me more than 100$, I consider just flying to vegas and return afterwards...

again, thanks!
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by negotiableme
thanks for the quick answer, sorry for posting in the wrong forum at first!

I'll try and call them tomorrow, i the cange costs me more than 100$, I consider just flying to vegas and return afterwards...

again, thanks!
You will have a $150 penalty (if you purchased a domestic penalty ticket) and any fare differance will be applied + or -.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:41 pm

just out of interest: what happens to people, who miss the last flight by accident?
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by negotiableme
just out of interest: what happens to people, who miss the last flight by accident?
AA has a "flat tire" rule, it isn't published, but once you arrive at the airport they will do their best to accommodate you. The rule applies to any segment that you find yourself late for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.