Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: FAQ: Missing / Skipping Segment - Hidden City / Point Beyond Ticketing

ARCHIVE: FAQ: Missing / Skipping Segment - Hidden City / Point Beyond Ticketing

Hide Wikipost
Old May 6, 16, 2:03 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 5, 16, 6:57 pm

Flight Changes

Good evening,

I was wondering if there are penalties for not showing up to a leg on a trip. I am traveling out to Reno next week for work, and was debating on driving down to Las Vegas after meetings on Thursday AM and staying for the weekend. My return flight is currently booked out of Reno to depart on Thursday AM. I called AA and they advised it would be ~$700 to change the flight to depart from LAS. I am seeing one-way tickets for approximately $225. Can I just book a one-way ticket and be done with it?
Old Dec 5, 16, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by zmster2033 View Post
Good evening,

I was wondering if there are penalties for not showing up to a leg on a trip. I am traveling out to Reno next week for work, and was debating on driving down to Las Vegas after meetings on Thursday AM and staying for the weekend. My return flight is currently booked out of Reno to depart on Thursday AM. I called AA and they advised it would be ~$700 to change the flight to depart from LAS. I am seeing one-way tickets for approximately $225. Can I just book a one-way ticket and be done with it?
As long as there's nothing else on the original trip I wanted to use (one you miss a leg, all other segments on that itinerary will be canceled), that's what I'd do.
Old Dec 5, 16, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by zmster2033 View Post
Good evening,

If you book the second flight on AA then you may be caught by the scanner that looks for conflicts and have one of them cancelled. If you cancel the return before flying out then you may be required to pay more. You could probably cancel the return after you have flown out and then book the other return if it is still available. However using a different airline would be safest.
Old Dec 6, 16, 7:24 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by MADPhil View Post
If you book the second flight on AA then you may be caught by the scanner that looks for conflicts and have one of them cancelled. If you cancel the return before flying out then you may be required to pay more. You could probably cancel the return after you have flown out and then book the other return if it is still available. However using a different airline would be safest.
If the OP's original flight RNO-XXX is Thursday morning and he/she books a separate return LAS-XXX for Sat/Sun/Mon then there's no issue with overlapping bookings. And no need to cancel the original return, just no show, it will cancel automatically, and fly back on the new LAS-XXX flight for $225. People miss flights all the time, I wouldn't hesitate at all to do this if I needed to fly back from LAS.
Old Dec 6, 16, 7:48 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
If the OP's original flight RNO-XXX is Thursday morning and he/she books a separate return LAS-XXX for Sat/Sun/Mon then there's no issue with overlapping bookings. And no need to cancel the original return, just no show, it will cancel automatically, and fly back on the new LAS-XXX flight for $225. People miss flights all the time, I wouldn't hesitate at all to do this if I needed to fly back from LAS.
I hadn't paid enough attention to the gap between the flights. Clearly OP could be going home and returning on another flight in that time.

Search this Thread