Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: FAQ: Missing / Skipping Segment - Hidden City / Point Beyond Ticketing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 6, 2016, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: FAQ: Missing / Skipping Segment - Hidden City / Point Beyond Ticketing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I wonder how often A-B-C + C-B is cheaper than A-B. If someone bought A-B-C and C-B, would the airline really mind if they got off at B the first time through?

In the event of IROPS/rebooking, they still get to B using the second ticket.
Old May 5, 2016, 8:31 am
Suspended

UA cracking down:
http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....-succeed-save/

Brian Sumers reports that United Airlines sent a memo to airport employees telling them to be on the lookout for ‘hidden city’ tickets.

The memo tells agents “[w]hen fraud is suspected, the Customer Service Representatives should send an email to Corporate Security for follow up..”

Look for reports to appear here soon that AA is too.
Old May 6, 2016, 2:59 pm

Skipping last leg of trip: Will I get my EQMs?

Signing up for the Platinum challenge soon. There's a trip where I plan to skip the last leg of the trip (the last leg is less than an hour and the distance is 300+ miles).

If I skip the last leg of the trip, will I still get my EQMs for the rest of the journey (which is almost 7000 EQMs)?
Old May 6, 2016, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
General experience is that you will get the EQMs for the leg you fly, not the leg you don't fly, and that no ill should come of this if you do it once or do it sparingly. If you do it more regularly, not sure if AA will take notice. Also not sure if they pay closer attention on challenges than in general (but I doubt they do).
Old May 6, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Agree.

On rare occasion Ive received EQMs for flights I skip and/or class of service I dont deserve. (ie coach ticket, upgrades to first). And this is NOT only when there is an irrops and they re-book me into a full F seat.

To OP, Id bank on getting the first and not on getting the skipped leg.
Old May 6, 2016, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
SIf I skip the last leg of the trip, will I still get my EQMs for the rest of the journey (which is almost 7000 EQMs)?
You'll get credit for every segment you flew. Regarding the last/ skipped flight that GA scanning your BP is the key. They will call your name a few times and off load you from the flight when you are a no-show.
Old May 6, 2016, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59
You'll get credit for every segment you flew. Regarding the last/ skipped flight that GA scanning your BP is the key. They will call your name a few times and off load you from the flight when you are a no-show.
Can I show up to scan my boarding pass but not board the plane to be safe? I'm not interested in the measly 300 mile EQM for the last leg, I'm really concerned about the 6700 EQM of flown flights up to the point before the last leg.
Old May 6, 2016, 9:22 pm

Can I show up to scan my boarding pass but not board the plane to be safe? I'm not interested in the measly 300 mile EQM for the last leg, I'm really concerned about the 6700 EQM of flown flights up to the point before the last leg.
The other way to look at it, was that I "missed" my last leg home, and I simply drove home from that airport where I missed my connection. Does this happen to people?
Old May 6, 2016, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I thought about this. I would recommend strongly against it.

Agents might just shrug and offload you from the flight as a no-show...BUT..if you scan onto the flight, but then disappear from the plane you have created a miscount between manifest and heads on board. This may cause them some delay and some hassle, and they might be quite annoyed at it. it is much more unusual than just a no show. It might trigger much more than a shrug. Indeed, you can always say "plans changed, had a meeting in ____ so I just drove" in the extremely unlikely even someone asks. If you scan onto the flight it is much less innocent to give an explanation.

I just cannot understand why you are worried about the first leg- everyone has said you are good to go. This is from countless times Ive done this. Others are posting the same. Its a no brainer
Old May 6, 2016, 9:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
In this day of security flaps, I'd strongly recommend against this.
Old May 7, 2016, 1:53 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
If you skip your flight, you are merely a no-show, something that happens a lot. The airline RM folks might decide to look if there is a behavior pattern, but at least airport security is not concerned what you are up to.

OTOH when you pretend to board the flight and then disappear, you create a nuisance for everybody. (i) They will be concerned about you being a security threat. (ii) They'll also be concerned about your own wellbeing. I am sure some FA will go toilet to toilet checking if you are lying unconscious in one. (iii) Eventually some CCTV will show just what you did, ie, scan the bp and then walk away. Nobody will be amused.

So, best to make a clean decision and either fly or skip the flight.

Last edited by aktchi; May 7, 2016 at 4:15 am
Old May 7, 2016, 7:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Safe?

Do you think gate agents will "not notice" if you scan your boarding pass, then walk back away from the jet bridge? That is exactly the behavior of a terrorist who is not suicidal but is homicidal.

If you are pulling a Hidden City scam, best to not attract any attention to yourself. Just be a no-show.
Old May 7, 2016, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
If you are pulling a Hidden City scam, best to not attract any attention to yourself. Just be a no-show.
Scam? It is against the airline's rules, but hardly a scam.

As others have said, this is not needed. Just no show if that is what you want to do. And, again as others have noted, people do not board segments for a variety of reasons (e.g. sick, confused about the gate, allergies, etc.), if you make a pattern of it, you may find your account suspended or worse.

Personally, I don't do this. Not for any moral or ethical reason, but, I tend to play by the rules, even if I think they are ridiculous and unfair. If, in the rare rare you chance you get caught and lose your miles/account, you have to accept you chose to break the rules and must accept the punishment.
Old May 7, 2016, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by 110pgl
Scam? It is against the airline's rules, but hardly a scam.
Mini-scam. Fudge. Fiddle. Creative ticketing. Cutting corners.

Personally, I don't do this. Not for any moral or ethical reason, but, I tend to play by the rules, even if I think they are ridiculous and unfair. If, in the rare rare you chance you get caught and lose your miles/account, you have to accept you chose to break the rules and must accept the punishment.
I agree 100%. I don't have any particular ethical issues with Hidden City, but I am loathe to lose my frequent flyer miles and/or entire account.
Old May 7, 2016, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Safe?

Do you think gate agents will "not notice" if you scan your boarding pass, then walk back away from the jet bridge? That is exactly the behavior of a terrorist who is not suicidal but is homicidal.

No offense but might I suggest you think about this and understand the fallacy in your logic?

You are saying that a terrorist intent on doing harm is more likely to have an agent scan their boarding pass and then not get on the plane than they are to just no show. To paraphrase your last paragraph "If you are a homicidal terrorist, best to not attract any attention to yourself. Just be a no-show".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.