Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: FAQ: Missing / Skipping Segment - Hidden City / Point Beyond Ticketing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 6, 2016, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: FAQ: Missing / Skipping Segment - Hidden City / Point Beyond Ticketing

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2007, 7:53 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by bts09
No one disagrees with that. We all agree that not taking the outbound cancels the return...UNLESS you do something akin to what is suggested above. If they LET you change because of weather, 'everything is beautiful and nothing hurts.'
We all seem to agree, but the answer of "No" in post number two is ambiguous since the OP asked two questions, and the answers to those questions are "Yes" and "No", respectively.

Question #1 in the title:
Originally Posted by dave_SEA
Will skipping the outbound flight cancel my return?
Question #2 in the post:
Is it possible to cancel an outbound leg, and still keep the return?
Old Dec 21, 2007, 10:17 am

Programs: AA PLAT, *wood Gold, Marriott Silver
THanks everyone for the input.

The change fee plus fare difference is expected to be $100+$900

A new aaward ticket for the dates I want will be $40 taxes + $100 award + 25K, so the latter is the way to go.

Is there any way to avoid the $100 AA fee for awards within a week? Considerign I am already paying a $100 change fee, can they waive the other $100?
Old Dec 21, 2007, 10:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage (PLT :(, 2MM), HHonors (Silver), Hertz (5 Star), Marriott (Silver)
<snip>
Is there any way to avoid the $100 AA fee for awards within a week? Considerign I am already paying a $100 change fee, can they waive the other $100?
If you book it for further out (same routing and everything) and then happen to change to the closer in date then you can avoid the fee. You just run the risk of the inventory going away before you change it.

E
Old Nov 25, 2008, 3:09 am

Programs: AA EXP
Can you book a flight w/connection then skip the connection?

Here's a hypothetical...Purchased round trip flight LAX-JFK-SJU. What if I were to simply stay in NY effectively skipping SJU all together? Aside from the obvious...luggage…what penalties if any would I incur on the return flight back since it won't be originating from SJU. There technically isn’t a ticket change since I would still be on a portion of the itinerary...right? Would I even need to notify AA, or could I just catch the JFK-LAX portion without any worries?
Old Nov 25, 2008, 3:22 am

Once you miss a segment it is entirely likely that all later segments will be cancelled....
Old Nov 25, 2008, 3:24 am

This is prohibited according to the Contract of Carriage. If you miss a flight, they will cancel all subsequent segments. So if you showed up for your return flight back, they would need to reprice your ticket and charge the change fee, which will get very expensive. Plus if there's no space back on the flight you want, you'd have to take another flight back.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 3:38 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cornellalum
This is prohibited according to the Contract of Carriage. If you miss a flight, they will cancel all subsequent segments. So if you showed up for your return flight back, they would need to reprice your ticket and charge the change fee, which will get very expensive. Plus if there's no space back on the flight you want, you'd have to take another flight back.
Got it!...But what if AA were notified prior to the JFK-SJU leg of the trip departing? Would there still be a change fee? In essence nothing would have really changed...I'm still going to be on the return JFK-LAX flight. Would they still be able to hold JFK-LAX at the same price?
Old Nov 25, 2008, 3:46 am

Programs: AA EXP (1MM), Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chayz
Got it!...But what if AA were notified prior to the JFK-SJU leg of the trip departing? Would there still be a change fee? In essence nothing would have really changed...I'm still going to be on the return JFK-LAX flight. Would they still be able to hold JFK-LAX at the same price?
IME, you will be charged the change fee. I had a situation where my connection was severely delayed. I attempted to tell them to just cancel the connection as I would get to my destination by other means. In order for them to not cancel my return flights, they wanted me to pay several hundred dollars... It took a lot of arguing and speaking to a supervisor in order to get them to not charge me, and the only reason was that AA's flight was delayed. If I simply would have skipped the segment (that was departing as scheduled), there is no way they would have not charged me to not cancel the return legs.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 7:34 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
There technically isn’t a ticket change since I would still be on a portion of the itinerary...right?
Wrong. AA very definitely considers this a change.

Would I even need to notify AA, or could I just catch the JFK-LAX portion without any worries?
If you want to fly the return, you will need to notify AA of your change of plans. Before you fly the JFK-LAX portion, you will be charged a change fee and any fare difference.

AA does not agree with you that in essence nothing would have really changed. You will indeed be charged any applicable fees, but with the information you have provided we can only speculate as to what those might be. To find out exactly what it will cost you, it would be best if you contacted AA.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

the issue is that your itinerary must be repricred. LAX-JFK-SJU might be less expensive than LAX-JFK, and if you plan to end at JFK, then basically you're not paying what AA considers the appropriate market rate. So you would be charged the fare difference, repriced at the lowest fare available at the time, which could be full Y!
Old Nov 25, 2008, 10:42 am

Programs: AC*E, AA, Mar*S, SW*P, HTZ #1G, AVS Pref
personal experience here:

i had a round trip to NY booked and had to move the flight INTO new york to a day earlier. clearly that's a change, which is fine - got a ticket on another airline that was about 300 cheaper one way than changing my AA ticket. however, wanted to use my AA flight home. Even told the agent that I was willing to pay for the entire round trip ticket and not use the front end - was denied. The back end, after change fee and reprice was about $650, while the entire round trip would have been $275. AA agents basically said that they would consider me a "noshow" even though I was informing them ahead of time and I would lose all segments.

ended up cancelling the flight and used the flight credit, less change fee, on another flight.

makes no sense to me, really, as if I'm telling them ahead of time - they can re-sell my seat even and make the profit! but that's their policy.

Happy Flying!
Old Nov 25, 2008, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
It would be a very very bad idea as others have said.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
What if my itinerary was LAX/MIA outbound, MIA/LAX/LAS return.

Can't I

1) Just check my bag as far as LAX
2) Just not board the LAX/LAS flight?

And since there are no further segments, no problems would arise?
Old Nov 25, 2008, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by beachfan
What if my itinerary was LAX/MIA outbound, MIA/LAX/LAS return.

Can't I

1) Just check my bag as far as LAX
2) Just not board the LAX/LAS flight?

And since there are no further segments, no problems would arise?
They won't let you check your bag to LAX, unless you can somehow get your hands on the bag tag before it goes down the conveyor and scratch out the LAS.

THis question has been asked and answered millions of times on FT, methinks...
Old Nov 25, 2008, 2:05 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by captaink

THis question has been asked and answered millions of times on FT, methinks...
Actually, I only got 31 hits when I searched "skip last segment" and only 75-80% of those threads seemed relevant, so it's not quite that many times

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.