Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: FAQ: Missing / Skipping Segment - Hidden City / Point Beyond Ticketing

ARCHIVE: FAQ: Missing / Skipping Segment - Hidden City / Point Beyond Ticketing

Hide Wikipost
Old May 6, 16, 2:03 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 20, 07, 8:01 am

Programs: SPG Plat and that is that!
It is a great point

I am surprised I didn't think of that either. Our plan today in booking will be to book a flight MIA-IAD on the day later, that is available. If the flight we want opens up then we'll switch to that. Otherwise, as it gets closer we'll just change it to a return in, say, February, then buy a one-way down to MIA and use the return that way.

Bags - yes not a problem - will be claimed in MIA, if checked at all.

Thanks for the input! I just want to be relatively sure that we won't get socked for the $100 change fee to miss the flght.

Now of course, how to decide when/if to buy the $90 one-way from MIA - IAD is another story...
Old Jun 20, 07, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by StSebastian View Post
OP won't have a problem with checked baggage since he'll have to claim it at MIA anyway.
I HAD a problem with checked baggage in a similar situation and thought MIA recheck was my trump card.

For comparison purpose my flights were as follows:
Day 1 TVC-ORD-MIA
Day 7 MIA-AUA
Day 8 AUA-MIA-ORD
Day 9 ORD-TVC

Since AAward seats never became available on day 8 I bought a
Day 8 ORD-TVC and was going to throw away Day 9 ORD-TVC

I wanted to check the bags all the way through on Day 8.

The people in MIA were extremely uncooperative with this [and rude even though it was extra revenue to AA].

Because of the overnight stop in ORD I could not even check the bags through for Day 9.

Ended up checking bags only to ORD, flying day 8, and calling AA to get the bags to TVC 'eventually'

This is not the case for the OP, but could have been if he had used his stop over already.
Old Jun 20, 07, 10:36 am

Programs: SPG Plat and that is that!
How bout them apples...

I called to make a change to the flights before booking, discussed the fact that the 9pm-ish flight on a Monday night was not available for award; the agent put me on hold and about 3 minutes later said they opened up a seat for award on the night-time connection.

So all this averted by simply asking for help. I haven't booked too many AA awards but in every single instance their cust svc, award seat availability, and general demeanor has been second to none.

Thanks for all the advice - I guess my own advice is to simply ask!

Thanks!
Old Nov 21, 07, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Skip Last Segment Award Ticket ??

Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
You can skip any segment you want, as long as it's the last segment in the itinerary.

Sorry to bump this thread, but, I booked an award ticket for this weekend back in May....now, it turns out I need to be in Chicago Monday morning....I am flying ORD-LGA Sunday night....everyone seems to say it'll be ok to not fly this segment (as long as I don't make a habit of it--which I obviously don't or I wouldn't be asking this question)....so, I >get sick<, and don't fly to LGA...since this is an award, will there be any concerns ?

Also, being perhaps overly conscientious, I would like to call EXP Desk when I get to ORD and let them know I will not being using my last segment....is this a good idea ??

Thanks in advance for the advice, and Happy Thanksgiving to all !!
Old Nov 21, 07, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by bxbkqu View Post

Sorry to bump this thread, but, I booked an award ticket for this weekend back in May....now, it turns out I need to be in Chicago Monday morning....I am flying ORD-LGA Sunday night....everyone seems to say it'll be ok to not fly this segment (as long as I don't make a habit of it--which I obviously don't or I wouldn't be asking this question)....so, I >get sick<, and don't fly to LGA...since this is an award, will there be any concerns ?

Also, being perhaps overly conscientious, I would like to call EXP Desk when I get to ORD and let them know I will not being using my last segment....is this a good idea ??

Thanks in advance for the advice, and Happy Thanksgiving to all !!
Even better idea - award ticket dates are changable for free. You should change the final ORD-LGA ticket to a date close to a year from whenever you booked the ticket. Then, if anytime between now and then, you find yourself in need of a 1-way ORD-LGA flight, it's there for you.

Then, if you never need to fly it, just don't - you won't have any issues.

[This assumes it was an LGA-ORD-LGA ticket, and not LGA-ORD-XXX-ORD-LGA - in the latter case, you'd be adding a stopover, not allowed for free]
Old Nov 21, 07, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by swag View Post
Even better idea - award ticket dates are changable for free. You should change the final ORD-LGA ticket to a date close to a year from whenever you booked the ticket. Then, if anytime between now and then, you find yourself in need of a 1-way ORD-LGA flight, it's there for you.

Then, if you never need to fly it, just don't - you won't have any issues.

[This assumes it was an LGA-ORD-LGA ticket, and not LGA-ORD-XXX-ORD-LGA - in the latter case, you'd be adding a stopover, not allowed for free]

Yes, you are brilliant ! I need a one way ORD-LGA at the end of December....this is a fantastically helpful idea....thanks so much !!
Old Dec 20, 07, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, *wood Gold, Marriott Silver
Will skipping the outbound flight cancel my return?

I bought my parents a ticket to come visit me Christmas 12/24- 1/2. Due to a family issue, they can not come on 12/24, and want to come 12/28 instead.

Looking at AA, the fare difference is ~$1000. they can actually buy a OW ticket on the new departure date for less.

Is it possible to cancel an outbound leg, and still keep the return?
Old Dec 20, 07, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, HH DIAMOND, SOUTHWEST RR, HERTZ
No.

And best of luck on making alternate arrangements at this time of year.

Sincerely, - jdburns11
Old Dec 20, 07, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CO PLAT, SPG Gold
BUT...if you are really lucky, there will be some kind of weather system in the area of either their arrival or departure city. Even if their flight isn't cancelled, alot of times AA will let you cancel a segment and make other arrangement for getting somewhere if you express a concern about weather and delays. So, they could call and say they are worried about weather and want to take an earlier or later flight and just request nicely that the outbound not get cancelled. When they are suggesting this, make sure it's clear that they don't want to take an earlier AA flight--perhaps they have extra time and have 'decided to drive.' This happened to me last week. I was going from DFW-ABI to see my sister graduate. Fog was holding up all the flights in, and the gate agent informed me that if I wanted to drive, I could do so and my return flight would not be affected. That was a short trip, but I suppose it could apply to a long trip. Worth a shot, since as of now, the cannot cancel at all.
Old Dec 20, 07, 6:27 pm

If you have a refundable ticket as a backup (on another airline if need be as AA won't allow double booking on the same flights), you can wait to cancel until shortly before departure to see if there are weather or other operational delays on their outbound flight. In these cases (delay must be at LEAST 30 minutes, maybe more) AA has allowed me to keep the inbound and get a refund for the outbound. In my case I wasn't looking to do this specifically but rather needed to get somewhere, but this strategy is better than nothing if you are going to cancel anyway.
Old Dec 20, 07, 6:29 pm

redacted

Last edited by shoodawg; Jan 14, 09 at 7:31 pm
Old Dec 20, 07, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CO PLAT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by shoodawg View Post
I disagree, I believe if you don't take the outbound, the return is cancelled.
No one disagrees with that. We all agree that not taking the outbound cancels the return...UNLESS you do something akin to what is suggested above. If they LET you change because of weather, 'everything is beautiful and nothing hurts.'
Old Dec 20, 07, 7:21 pm

redacted

Last edited by shoodawg; Jan 14, 09 at 7:31 pm
Old Dec 20, 07, 10:42 pm

I tried to get permission to pick up the 2nd leg of my flight from STL-LIH by picking it up in LAX. I was in ORegon for a funeral. They said I had to get the flight from STL. Made for a really long day--- PDX-DFW-STL-LAX-LIH!
Old Dec 21, 07, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by shoodawg View Post
I disagree, I believe if you don't take the outbound, the return is cancelled.
One exception- If you have a fully refundable/changeable ticket not requireing a RT purchase and u call them before, you can cancel the
outbound and get them to issue a credit for that segment.

Search this Thread