Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: FAQ: Missing / Skipping Segment - Hidden City / Point Beyond Ticketing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 6, 2016, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: FAQ: Missing / Skipping Segment - Hidden City / Point Beyond Ticketing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 3:53 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
If you use a prepaid debit card to purchase your ticket, how could aa retroactively debit that card, when you didn't fly the return trip, if its balance is (now) $0?
Ditto when using a "virtual credit card account".
Old Jan 15, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by nrr
If you use a prepaid debit card to purchase your ticket, how could aa retroactively debit that card, when you didn't fly the return trip, if its balance is (now) $0?
Ditto when using a "virtual credit card account".
OK so they may not charge but they could retract 5k EQM
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
See qvzn, quoted below. Perhaps you feel that way because you seem to persist in seeing your planned itineraries as hidden city / point beyond ticketing - you are merely inquiring and asking questions, mostly about missing the Asia - ConUS return - which for a fee of ~$150 most likely could be changed (if there is the same fare class inventory available iirc, though if there isn't you may also have to pay a fare differential for that). IMO you are adding needless complexities to this exercise.

Hidden city / point beyond ticketing is usually done with intent, and repetitive activity of this nature can result in problems with the airline.

I am curious: what is the "Dyanasty Alliance"? I've never heard of it - oneworld, Star and SkyTeam I have heard of. I'm old enough to have heard of Dyan Cannon , but what am I missing here?

Originally Posted by weezl
Yes but reading these threads, the writing is on the wall that they will accuse...
Originally Posted by qvzn
The will accuse you of what?

You booked the flight intending to use the return (i.e., you didn't book it JUST to get around the higher o/w fare). Due to a change of plans you were unable to make your flight and decided to abandon your ticket and make your own way home. End of story
Old Jan 31, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by JDiver
I am curious: what is the "Dyanasty Alliance"? I've never heard of it - oneworld, Star and SkyTeam I have heard of. I'm old enough to have heard of Dyan Cannon , but what am I missing here?
CI's boasts a Dynasty magazine, yes they are partners with SkyTeam, sorry about the typo...
Old Feb 16, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Skipping a Segment?

I'm looking at the reported business class deal to SCL, particularly JFK-MIA-SCL-MIA-JFK.

I fly out of MIA, and I just wondered if it would be permissible to book the above itinerary and skip the JFK-MIA and MIA-JFK segments.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 16, 2013, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
If you skip your initial JFK-MIA flight, the rest of your itinerary will be cancelled.

On the return though, you could get off in MIA and "not feel well," although doing this often might raise flags.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
This is one of the most asked questions on FT and readily answerable by search. If you skip a segment the rest of your itinerary will be cancelled. So if you skip JFK-MIA you will not be able to fly the rest of the flights.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
If you skip your initial JFK-MIA flight, the rest of your itinerary will be cancelled.

On the return though, you could get off in MIA and "not feel well," although doing this often might raise flags.
Oh, well, there you go.

Too bad, but it makes sense, analyzing from te airline's view.

Thanks for the prompt response.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by NavyUCF
I'm looking at the reported business class deal to SCL, particularly JFK-MIA-SCL-MIA-JFK.

I fly out of MIA, and I just wondered if it would be permissible to book the above itinerary and skip the JFK-MIA and MIA-JFK segments.

Thoughts?
In your case I would look to get an award o/w MIA/FLL/PBI-NYC and then begin the journey there. As has been said, probably no ramifications of getting off in MIA and "not feeling well" or the like. Do it monthly, and you may have problems (though the less vested you are in an airline's FF program the less likely; regardless of what they may threaten they're not coming after you for $$).
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:48 am

Programs: M&M, AAdvantage, FlyingBlue
I am ticketed in GIG-MIA-MCO (one of those very cheap fares) on Spring Break.

I plan not to use MIA-MCO and instead fly from MIA to the Northeast. Cheapest, most convenient and fastest option is buying a MIA-NYC (LGA/JFK) with AA.

I know it is not a big deal not to take the last leg (MIA-MCO; and I am not checking luggage); but I wonder if there would be an issue by getting an AA flight at the same time that there was the other one I was ticketed (remember, I would have flown the other one... it is just that I didn't take the last leg). So theorically I am flying two AA tickets at the same time.

I wonder if AA would raise an eyebrow (i.e. posting miles to AAdvantage).

Any ideas?

Thx!!

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 5, 2013 at 4:56 pm Reason: merge cross-posted posts
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:51 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Consolidated discussion on this topic

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

(Search term {"segments"})

Cheers.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The OP runs the risk that AA will notice the duplicate booking (AA has software that looks for duplicates) and that AA will cancel the MIA-NYC segment if the MIA-NYC segment overlaps with the flight time of the already-booked MIA-MCO segment.

Why not fly the MIA-MCO segment and buy a cheap one-way MCO-NYC on AA or B6? More miles and no risk.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
The OP runs the risk that AA will notice the duplicate booking (AA has software that looks for duplicates) and that AA will cancel the MIA-NYC segment if the MIA-NYC segment overlaps with the flight time of the already-booked MIA-MCO segment.

Why not fly the MIA-MCO segment and buy a cheap one-way MCO-NYC on AA or B6? More miles and no risk.
Thanks... exactly that's my fear.

Why not? After a night flight from Brazil in AA B767 Economy... I want to arrive home ASAP. Going to MCO makes it a few hours longer... and it is actually more expensive.

A one-way flight MIA-NYC at 6-7 AM (Rio flight arrives 4.30 AM in MIA) turns to be the cheapest option and most convenient (you can be in LGA at 10 AM... otherwise going through MCO I won't be earlier than 2-3 PM... and ore risks to get delayed/miss the flight). I guess because flying from MCO I have to do it at "normal" hours (like 10-11 AM), those tickets are actually more expensive.

I might book on Delta, which is actually just a bit more expensive... and I will fly a MD-80, which today is more exciting
Old Mar 4, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by eurekaprice
Any ideas?
I wouldn't do it.
It's called duplicate reservations.

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php...tions_%28AA%29

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ervations.html
Old Mar 4, 2013, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by supergrandslam
Thanks a lot... it is obvious I will fly Miami-New York on someone else...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.