Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: FAQ: Missing / Skipping Segment - Hidden City / Point Beyond Ticketing

ARCHIVE: FAQ: Missing / Skipping Segment - Hidden City / Point Beyond Ticketing

    Hide Wikipost
Old May 6, 16, 2:03 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 26, 07, 1:54 pm
  #61  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: NYC (but temporarily MIA)
Programs: AA EXP/3MM
Posts: 29,628
I would, just to keep the record clean and to make the seat available to someone else. Just tell them that something came up and you can't go LGA-YYZ that day. They will ask if you want to reschedule it and you can say you will call back later.
vasantn is offline  
Old Feb 26, 07, 2:53 pm
  #62  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,630
Originally Posted by erik123 View Post
Would you call AA to cancel the last leg (just to be nice).
Depends on fare and ticket type.. Do not know if the ticket to NY or Toronto is cheaper. If Toronto is cheaper he can NOT call as they will want to charge him the differance.
I looked up the fares and Toronto is much less, so if you call up they will want to charge you the higher fare and re-ticket.
zman is offline  
Old Feb 26, 07, 3:32 pm
  #63  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Programs: AA Gold - 1mm, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 583
Originally Posted by zman View Post
Do not know if the ticket to NY or Toronto is cheaper.
One would assume that the ticket to YYZ is cheaper, hence the question.
I can't imagine that someone would want to pay more for a continuing connection that they have no intent on taking.
georgehf is offline  
Old Feb 26, 07, 3:49 pm
  #64  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: NYC (but temporarily MIA)
Programs: AA EXP/3MM
Posts: 29,628
Originally Posted by zman View Post
Depends on fare and ticket type.. Do not know if the ticket to NY or Toronto is cheaper. If Toronto is cheaper he can NOT call as they will want to charge him the differance.
No, they won't. All he has to do is say that something came up, he's going to miss the flight, and he wanted to let AA know so the seat could be made available to someone else. I've done this half-a-dozen times in the last year alone.
vasantn is offline  
Old Feb 26, 07, 6:32 pm
  #65  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,635
Obviously it is cheaper.
erik123 is offline  
Old Feb 26, 07, 6:46 pm
  #66  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Juneau, Alaska.
Posts: 12,665
If you do once or twice there may not be a problem but if you make a habit of it (are doing it for the lesser cost) aa may decide you are using point beyond ticketing and violating the conditions of carriage.
From aa.com conditions of carriage:
Hidden City/Point Beyond Ticketing: Purchase of a fare from a point before the passenger's actual origin or to a point beyond the passenger's actual destination.

Where a ticket is invalidated as the result of the passenger's non-compliance with any term or condition of sale, American has the right in its sole discretion to:

Cancel any remaining portion of the passenger's itinerary,
Confiscate unused flight coupons,
Refuse to board the passenger or check the passenger's luggage, or
Assess the passenger for the reasonable remaining value of the ticket, which shall be no less than the difference between the fare actually paid and the lowest fare applicable to the passenger's actual itinerary
jerry a. laska is offline  
Old Mar 15, 07, 4:24 pm
  #67  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 19
Skipping connecting flight?

I posted this in another forum..Moving the thread here.

I have booked roundtrip tickets from US to Munich on AA. For both ways, I have stopover at London. I am going to tour Europe for the first time and realized only recently that most of the escorted tours of Europe start in London. I don't want to cancel my tickets. Is there any way I can skip my LON-MUC leg during both trips? Is it even allowed?
justinlanger is offline  
Old Mar 15, 07, 4:38 pm
  #68  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: LAX/BUR
Programs: UA 2P; SPG Gold
Posts: 58
If you skip the LON-MUC leg, AA will cancel the rest of your reservation. If you do so, when you show up in London to return to the US, you'll be out of luck -- and probably be asked to pay for a last-minute one-way ticket. Your least expensive options are probably: (1) call AA and pay the change fee; or (2) book a flight between Munich and London on one of Europe's many low-cost carriers. Note, however, if you pursue the second option, you need to consider: (a) the more restrictive luggage policies most European LCCs have; and (b) the chance that your flight back to MUC would be delayed, causing you to miss your AA flight and possibly incurring additional fees.

Better yet, skip the escorted tours, study some guidebooks and travel around Europe independently. It's easy.

Last edited by LosAngeleno; Mar 15, 07 at 4:40 pm Reason: added option
LosAngeleno is offline  
Old Mar 15, 07, 4:46 pm
  #69  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Austin
Programs: CO-Plat, DL-Gold
Posts: 518
As the other posters have said, you can't skip the LON-MUC legs, as the airline will cancel your return flight to the US.

One additional option that hasn't been mentioned is to ask the tour companies about joining the tour at the first stop on the continent. Most tour companies will allow you to join later, but they won't give money back for missed days.

This isn't an ideal option, but it may be cheaper than trying to rework your flights to match a tour.
schmare is offline  
Old Mar 15, 07, 4:47 pm
  #70  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: LAX; AA EXP, MM; HH Gold
Posts: 31,790
Generally, if you no-show for any segment in your itinerary, the downline segments will be canceled.

Why not look for a LCC MUC-LON option? Fly your trip as ticketed, but add a couple extra segments to get to/from LON from Germany.

But before we get to that part, a quick question: When you say "stopover," do you mean a break in your journey of more than 24 hours (which is what that term means) or do you mean "layover" or "connection" (of less than 24 hours duration)?

If you just have a connection or layover at LHR, then use the LCC suggestion if you can't (or refuse to pay) to change your ticket. If you meant "stopover," ignore the suggestion (as taking the originally ticketed flights would interfere with your organized tour).
FWAAA is offline  
Old Mar 15, 07, 5:17 pm
  #71  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SFO/MSY
Programs: AA Plat/4MM, AS Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 3,362
If you skip it the rules say it will be cancelled. I have found that while flights operated by AA are extremely strict on this, sometimes partner flights are not as well kept track of.

I flew a MUC-BRU-ORD-DFW and missed my MUC-BRU leg, but the rest wasn't cancelled. I was traveling on that itinerary all on the same day and my guess is that SN's system and AA's system didn't sync up in the time period to alert them I missed the flight. That said, my guess is that if I would have traveled MUC-BRU on one day and BRU-ORD-DFW on another, the chance of canceling downline segments would have had a greater chance of being cancelled.
olimaspecto is offline  
Old Mar 15, 07, 5:33 pm
  #72  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 19
Pardon my ignorance..but what is LCC?
I've a layover in LON for < 2 hrs.

Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
Generally, if you no-show for any segment in your itinerary, the downline segments will be canceled.

Why not look for a LCC MUC-LON option? Fly your trip as ticketed, but add a couple extra segments to get to/from LON from Germany.

But before we get to that part, a quick question: When you say "stopover," do you mean a break in your journey of more than 24 hours (which is what that term means) or do you mean "layover" or "connection" (of less than 24 hours duration)?

If you just have a connection or layover at LHR, then use the LCC suggestion if you can't (or refuse to pay) to change your ticket. If you meant "stopover," ignore the suggestion (as taking the originally ticketed flights would interfere with your organized tour).
justinlanger is offline  
Old Mar 15, 07, 5:37 pm
  #73  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 19
I arrive in LON the next day I leave US. LON-MUC leg is on BA.

Originally Posted by olimaspecto View Post
If you skip it the rules say it will be cancelled. I have found that while flights operated by AA are extremely strict on this, sometimes partner flights are not as well kept track of.

I flew a MUC-BRU-ORD-DFW and missed my MUC-BRU leg, but the rest wasn't cancelled. I was traveling on that itinerary all on the same day and my guess is that SN's system and AA's system didn't sync up in the time period to alert them I missed the flight. That said, my guess is that if I would have traveled MUC-BRU on one day and BRU-ORD-DFW on another, the chance of canceling downline segments would have had a greater chance of being cancelled.
justinlanger is offline  
Old Mar 15, 07, 5:46 pm
  #74  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: PDX
Posts: 52
Originally Posted by justinlanger View Post
Pardon my ignorance..but what is LCC?
I've a layover in LON for < 2 hrs.
Low Cost Carrier (Budget airlines like RyanAir, MyAir, etc)...
mr_pdx is offline  
Old Mar 15, 07, 5:49 pm
  #75  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: PDX
Posts: 52
Originally Posted by mr_pdx View Post
Low Cost Carrier (Budget airlines like RyanAir, MyAir, etc)...
Also, check out www.whichbudget.com for some comprehensive LCC options.
mr_pdx is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread