Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

(Gold) status renewal / earning via Citi AA credit card purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2016, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA

Received this today. Never heard of this before. Thought others might want to know.
[mods please move to buy-up thread if appropriate]

Hello Resident,
AAdvantageAAdvantage® Number: XXXXXXX

Since you came close to reaching American Airlines AAdvantage® Gold status for the 2016 membership year, we'd like to offer you the opportunity to renew your status just by using your Citi® / AAdvantage® credit card.

You're automatically enrolled for this promotion – all you need to do is spend $6,000 ($2,000/month) on purchases with your Citi® / AAdvantage® credit card by August 6, 2016. If you have multiple Citi® / AAdvantage® credit cards, the total spend on all of your eligible cards between now and August 6, 2016 will count towards the spend requirement.

Once you reach your qualifying spend, you'll enjoy AAdvantage® Gold status – and exceptional benefits like upgrades, complimentary Preferred Seats and much more – through February 2017.

Thank you for being a loyal member of the AAdvantage® program. We look forward to seeing you on board soon.
Old May 6, 2016, 5:17 pm

Interesting...which card do you have? The Citi AA Platinum?
Old May 6, 2016, 11:47 pm

Did you have elite status with AA before?
Old May 7, 2016, 4:43 am
inY

Got the same offer. Had Gold last year. Have the Citi AA Business Platinum.
Old May 7, 2016, 10:40 am
Suspended

A first for AAdv as far as my memory goes. Saw it written up as well yesterday on one of the blogs:
http://thepointsguy.com/2016/05/aa-o...pend-targeted/

TPG reader Rahul wrote in to share an email he received offering AAdvantage Gold status after spending $1,000 per month between now and August 6, 2016. If he meets the requirements he’ll earn AAdvantage Gold status through February 2017,

Read more: http://thepointsguy.com/2016/05/aa-o...#ixzz47zNPMJXW
Old May 7, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
My only read on this is to prepare for the known RDM changes that will come later this year.

These customers might be on the loyalty edge and can easily go elsewhere if they feel spending on AA is not as valuable. With all of the sign-up bonuses, there are many casual flyers who have one (or more than one) AA card.

No existing elites like these situations, but AA Gold is 'sold' to some already, and it does show that there is no need to reduce the number of elites as it is a source of flyers who like to book on AA even with other airline choices.

Rasheed
Old May 7, 2016, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
I got the same email, spend $6000 by 8/31 and you get gold elite status until 2/17.

Funny thing, I had the same verbage stating I "came close to requalifying".

Nope, I wasn't anywhere near requalifying. Between this and the weekly buyback emails I was getting from AA, they're not shy about monetizing elite status qualification.
Old May 7, 2016, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

I have the Citi AAdv Platinum MC.

I was gold the prior 2 years and lost status after ending 2015 with only ~16k EQM. So, "close" is being used generously.
Old May 7, 2016, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Also, the email posted on The Points Guy that JonNYC linked to has a different required spend, so perhaps it's based on how "close" you were to re-qualifying?
Old May 7, 2016, 1:19 pm

I passed on paying extra to boost to Gold, even was offered a discount again last month. I didn't take the offer, but would be interested if all I had to do was use my card I already have.
Old May 7, 2016, 9:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Wouldn't it be much cheaper to make Gold the old fashioned way? With planning, $6,000 worth of travel could easily net Platinum status.
Old May 8, 2016, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
Wouldn't it be much cheaper to make Gold the old fashioned way? With planning, $6,000 worth of travel could easily net Platinum status.
It depends. If you normally spend ~$2,000 per month, getting gold with this offer costs exactly $0. Nothing cheaper than that. If you spend considerably less per month, and you're only spending to meet this offer, then it may not be worth it.
Old May 8, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, AA Plat Pro, DL Gold, UA*S, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I got a similar offer for Gold but for $3k total spend ($1k per month). I rarely use my Citi AAdvantage card, which is probably why they didn't push for $6k with me. I'll try to spend up the $3k asap to get the status sooner.

I wonder whether the status will really come 10-14 business days after I reach the $3k spend, as the email suggests, or 10-14 business days after the close of the statement in which I reach $3k spend. I called Citi, they weren't familiar with the offer, so they transferred me to AAdvantage, who also wasn't familiar with the offer but said that they only get spend updates from Citi at the end of the statement period, so it sounds like the latter.
Old May 8, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AA 1MM, Marriott GLD
Interesting. Too bad our Citi AA card is in my name. I am lifetime GLD but my hubs has no status. Would love for him to find a way to GLD (of course, I know the obvious answer to how to accomplish this, but he doesn't travel that much for business and we almost always use miles for leisure travel).
Old May 8, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, AA Plat Pro, DL Gold, UA*S, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by thedoorchick
Interesting. Too bad our Citi AA card is in my name. I am lifetime GLD but my hubs has no status. Would love for him to find a way to GLD (of course, I know the obvious answer to how to accomplish this, but he doesn't travel that much for business and we almost always use miles for leisure travel).
In my case, I had GLD last year, albeit again through a targeted promo, that expired this February. I think that's a prerequisite for getting this offer, so your husband is not missing out for lack of the Citi AA card if he didn't have status last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.