Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA CLE / Cleveland terminal changes in 2017 (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA CLE / Cleveland terminal changes in 2017 (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2016, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA US
Musical Chairs in CLE

There has been a lot of talk about AA changing gates and counter location in Cleveland, but action dates pass and nothing happens. Does anybody have the real story?

Is AA moving to Concourse C and relocating check in to the southern end of the lobby? When?

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 29, 2017 at 9:15 am Reason: Restore original post title
Old May 6, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Interesting to hear about AA at CLE, CLE was my home airport for about two years…

Current AA gates at CLE are split at Concourse A due to LAA gates and LUA gates. However, check-in area has nicely consolidated at the one end of the terminal right next to security screen area A. LAA gates at Concourse A are right near security screen area A where passengers like it. If AA moves to Concourse C at CLE I doubt AA will get gates near security screen area.

Where is this move of AA to Concourse C coming from? From AA’s perspective I do not see anything to be gained by moving to Concourse C. Yes, currently gates at Concourse A are split, but I do not see that as any big deal as CLE is not that big of an airport, it is almost not much of difference as having gates all together. After check-in kiosks and all set up after merger with US, moving check-in area again does not make much sense. Old UA check in area is now occupied by UA, WN, and B6. Why AA wants to move check-in area to that end of the terminal?
Old May 6, 2016, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

The most accurate version of gate swapping is probably here:

http://www.cleveland.com/travel/inde...es_gate_o.html

But there are known inaccuracies in Ms. Glaser's report and despite predictions things just don't happen. The airport (notoriously close-mouthed) says nothing official.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
I've been hearing all kinds of rumors now... after the AA move to Concourse C, I heard from a baggage handler that Delta may move to Concourse A (although I wonder why they would), leaving that section of B open. If that happens, I'd love to see a Southwest expansion occur... flights to HOU, DAL, MSY, or MCI would be nice, as these are all facilities that Southwest has a large presence at.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

As an update, the move is beginning. AA has installed a new jetway on Gate C2, which adds another gate to the C3,5,7,9,and 11 previously reported, maintaining their current holding of 6 gates in Concourse A.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

AA branding is appearing in gates C3, 5, 7, 9, and 11, with some adjacent gates being buffed up as common use for overflow. One unofficial report says 5/15 for the first use.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RobS
AA branding is appearing in gates C3, 5, 7, 9, and 11, with some adjacent gates being buffed up as common use for overflow. One unofficial report says 5/15 for the first use.
'Bout time! Now I will not have to hike as far for the United Club when using AA
Old May 1, 2017, 8:55 am

I'm very interested also to see what happens to the AA gates in Terminal A. I would imagine the ULCC's will do some shuffling around. Frontier now will have that whole area in the back as their waiting area whether they are using those other gates or not.

If I were a decision-maker at Hopkins, I would definitely want some of those gates used by a carrier; those empty C gates on the way to the banjo were always so depressing to look at.
Old May 1, 2017, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by plinth857
I'm very interested also to see what happens to the AA gates in Terminal A. I would imagine the ULCC's will do some shuffling around. Frontier now will have that whole area in the back as their waiting area whether they are using those other gates or not.
The wildest speculation I heard about a year ago was that Delta would move to A, giving Southwest all of B for an expansion. Haven't heard that lately, however.
Old May 1, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
If I remember from my short residency at Cleveland area few years ago, those gates C3 – C11 were used by United mainline? Little surprised that United gave up those gates which are closer to ticket counter, baggage claim, and TSA security.

I understand United Club is located further into Concourse C, which was central location when United used to occupy entire Concourse C. Is it possible that United wants to maintain gates closer to United Club?

Will AA relocate ticket counter to be closer to Concourse C? What will happen to unused Concourse D?
Old May 1, 2017, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
If I remember from my short residency at Cleveland area few years ago, those gates C3 – C11 were used by United mainline? Little surprised that United gave up those gates which are closer to ticket counter, baggage claim, and TSA security.

I understand United Club is located further into Concourse C, which was central location when United used to occupy entire Concourse C. Is it possible that United wants to maintain gates closer to United Club?

Will AA relocate ticket counter to be closer to Concourse C? What will happen to unused Concourse D?
United did want to relocate all of their currently used gates (since they didn't need as many as they had) as close to the United Club as they could; it made sense for them to fully utilize the banjo.

Concourse D will be vacant as long as the city wants to keep collecting the money United pays for it each month (part of the terms of the merger with Continental). I'm sure the airport would love to use Concoure D, but the revenue stream is significant enough to prevent them from pursuing anything.
Old May 1, 2017, 2:41 pm

Does United get to say what happen to Concourse D until the payment end at some time in 2020s that I remember hearing? I am wondering if City of Cleveland has any say in what will happen to Concourse D at this moment. I understand, this question has nothing to do with AA, unless AA wants to move into Concourse D. Alright, why anybody wants to move into Concourse D at this moment when there seems to be enough gate space elsewhere at CLE?
Old May 2, 2017, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Does United get to say what happen to Concourse D until the payment end at some time in 2020s that I remember hearing? I am wondering if City of Cleveland has any say in what will happen to Concourse D at this moment. I understand, this question has nothing to do with AA, unless AA wants to move into Concourse D. Alright, why anybody wants to move into Concourse D at this moment when there seems to be enough gate space elsewhere at CLE?
As long as United is paying for D, they get all say in its usage. The city can decide what to do with D once it is completely paid for or United is released from its obligation to pay (not a likely scenario). Some reasons for moving to D might be that it is a modern space in the terminal (compared to some other sections) with a higher ceiling and lots of natural light. The shop/restaurant spaces are more modern and it's generally a wider space than some other areas of the airport. However, the eastern gates can only be used by small commuter aircraft and some investment would need to be made in preparing those for larger jet use. Also, if this space were used, it would be better to somehow connect D directly to the ticketing/security area. It's a short hike now and I know some people aren't a fan of taking a tunnel to get to it.

All the same, I would like to see that space get used in the future.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:50 am
Original Poster

It'd hard to understand the official silence of both AA and the airport on the gate relocation. Informally AA says we're keeping our current ticket counter "for now"; I guess that means they have different plans for the future.

It's interesting that UA wants their customers to take a LONG walk past the new AA gates, which will be displaying many of common destinations (ORD, LGA, DCA). Free publicity for AA.
Old May 8, 2017, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by RobS
It'd hard to understand the official silence of both AA and the airport on the gate relocation. Informally AA says we're keeping our current ticket counter "for now"; I guess that means they have different plans for the future.

It's interesting that UA wants their customers to take a LONG walk past the new AA gates, which will be displaying many of common destinations (ORD, LGA, DCA). Free publicity for AA.
I thought so as well; my guess is that the priority is to keep the gates as close as possible to the United Club over there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.