Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA CLE / Cleveland terminal changes in 2017 (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA CLE / Cleveland terminal changes in 2017 (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
was just in CLE yesterday, spotted the new gates across from my B6 flight. Looks like many gates don't have jetbridges. If the plan is to install them ( which I assume it is) not sure how long that takes.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I was looking at CLE website. It does not list Panini’s Bar & Grill located between C4 and C6, Italian place which I remember had lunch buffet. If Panini’s closed then currently there is no bar/restaurant around new AA gates at Concourse C.

CLE did not have any memorable place to eat, but so as pretty much all airports in the U.S. Quaker Steak and Lube at Concourse B was good for hot wings and beer. Great Lakes Brewing Company was good for beer but food was nothing to write home about… The Pub was interesting concept, non-chain restaurant at an airport terminal.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA US
^ Panini's has been replaced very recently by Bar Symon, offering celeb chef Michael Symon's upscale bistro menu.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by RobS
^ Panini's has been replaced very recently by Bar Symon, offering celeb chef Michael Symon's upscale bistro menu.
Wow! Cleveland's home town chef!
Old May 14, 2017, 2:08 pm

As of yesterday, five gates on the "stem" of C have the AA branding (still no jet bridges") -- C3, C5, C7, C9 & C11.

Interestingly, the remaining gates on C that are getting the refreshed common use podiums all have their luggage tag holders stuffed with AA gate claim and ID tags (and have jet bridges installed). Makes me wonder if perhaps AA owns its bridges on A, and plans to use the common use gates on C during transition as it moves its bridges over.

At one point, there was some discussion of razing Concourse B entirely (it's currently the oldest of the concourses, nearing the end of its useful life without a major overhaul) and expanding the core building (between current C2 & A1) -- once the ACTC was relocated -- to create one linear concourse for the airport (likely resulting in a slight net reduction in gates, but reasonable given the change in CLE's role). That chatter was pre-RNC, so if there's any truth to it, it's also possible that resources were re-prioritized to the facade refresh once the RNC was scheduled (even though the removal of B and net reduction in footprint was likely viewed as a cost-saving measure in the long term).

Last edited by cptlflyer; May 14, 2017 at 2:31 pm
Old May 17, 2017, 10:25 pm

Announcement from CLE:
News /
American Airlines moving to Concourse C
May 16, 2017

Cleveland, May 16th, 2017 – American Airlines (AA) will begin moving their operations from Concourse A to Concourse C at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE) tonight at midnight.

The new gates they will be using are C2, C3, C4, C5, C8, C10 and C14. They will however remain at gates A1 and A3 as they transition.

AA made the decision to move to Concourse C to consolidate their operations which were spread out on Concourse A due to their merger with the former US Airways.

Their ticket counter and baggage carousel will stay at their current locations for now.
Old May 21, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Friday night, the podiums/displays at C9, C7, C5 were definitely outfitted to not be common use anymore as they had permanent AA branding installed, but no jet bridges yet at C5 or C9 (didn't notice C7). C2 had a jet bridge and looks like it is operating (has the priority/general boarding lanes and everything), but did not see permanent AA signage installed.

Old Jun 3, 2017, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Delete

Last edited by RobS; Jun 3, 2017 at 9:58 pm
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

At long last AA began regular use of its new gates, C3, C5, C7, C9, and C11. At the same time they moved to the south end of the baggage level. Now only the ticket counter is still in the north end of the airport.

They will probably spill over to some adjacent common use gates a couple times a day, but that doesn't matter. So now can we please have a flight or two to LAX?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
They will probably spill over to some adjacent common use gates a couple times a day, but that doesn't matter. So now can we please have a flight or two to LAX?
As long as both Spirit and United are already on that route, I don't see that very likely. Sad, though... Spirit is OK for a shorter flight, but wild horses couldn't drag me on a nonstop flight on NK for that length of time.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:53 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by plinth857
As long as both Spirit and United are already on that route...
And Frontier.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

AA continues to use a couple of the common-use gates adjacent to their own on a daily basis. I guess using them a couple times a day is cheaper than a permanent lease. This spring the schedule says CLE-CLT will see 5 Airbuses (319/320) daily plus a couple of RJs. That's a big capacity increase.
silverthief2 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
AA continues to use a couple of the common-use gates adjacent to their own on a daily basis. I guess using them a couple times a day is cheaper than a permanent lease. This spring the schedule says CLE-CLT will see 5 Airbuses (319/320) daily plus a couple of RJs. That's a big capacity increase.
I'm more intrigued by the increase in capacity to PHL. Right now, out of 6 daily departures, 2 are on E190's, the rest on 50 seaters. In the spring, 4 E190's, an E175, and an ERJ145. That is also a pretty dramatic increase.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Who, if anyone, has replaced AA at their old A gates?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Frontier at two of them, Allegiant at one, and Spirit is possibly using one as overflow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.