Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

35th Anniversary Promo (chance to win up to 350k miles)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2016, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yosithezet
https://secure.fly.aa.com/milesformilestones/?cc=8
Print Wikipost

35th Anniversary Promo (chance to win up to 350k miles)

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Link from the email and from the homepage wasn't loading for me
Old May 4, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by rasheed
Promotional sweepstakes/miles giveaway aside, I believe some (most?) of the videos are from 1MM+ BIS AA members. I would guess one or more of them are FT members (whether or not they wish to admit it), but it looks like there was solicitation of stories ahead of the general promo.

Rasheed
Not all are 1MM+ BIS flyers. I know of one of them "stuck" at 800k BIS miles (and counting each month) the hard way.
Old May 4, 2016, 3:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Don't forget if you are a US tax payer and win 350,000 miles you are dunned.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...a-contest.html
Old May 4, 2016, 8:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Registered and posted their hashtag laden post to Facebook. Judging by new newsfeed, my friends like free miles as much as I do
Old May 4, 2016, 8:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Unless I win the big prize, I'll be earning <0.1% of the anniversary promo miles I did in 2006. What a difference 10 years can make!
And let's not forget that over the last 10 years your miles have been devalued too. I'd guess that number is closer to 0.01% if you start thinking about dollar value versus # of miles.
Old May 5, 2016, 6:58 am

Email link won't load for me either. What next?
Old May 5, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Is my understanding correct that as a British person living in London, I'm ineligible for this promo? That's most unfair if so. "Thank you for your loyalty Mr XXX". Hmph.
Old May 5, 2016, 9:52 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
How does the email sharing work. Have to use the email in the account?
Old May 5, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Be aware in reading the rules that you will receive a 1099 for about $7000 for these miles if you win.
Old May 5, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
Be aware in reading the rules that you will receive a 1099 for about $7000 for these miles if you win.
And even in the highest federal tax bracket, you'd pay $2772 for 350k miles (and really no one pays the highest effective tax rate thanks to competent CPAs). 350k miles even just on domestic Y (25k per award) at $300 each ticket is $4200. Obviously if you do something like offpeak awards in Y to Europe probably gets you $5600 in value. Spending it on a couple premium cabin awards would bring it up from there.

Needless to say, if you dont want to win, dont play, but I'll gladly pay taxes on the amount.
Old May 5, 2016, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by imapilotaz
I figure for the 40th anniversary AA will just send out a e-card from Hallmark with a birthday cake on it. By 50th, AA will probably start to charge us for the promotion.

Gotta love Oligopolies.
Assuming Hallmark is still around that is...

Evan Apple discontinued iCards (as part of the Mac.com suite of web service in the early days of cloud) in 2013. Not that cards made money, they probably imposed a very small cost but garnered some goodwill.
Old May 6, 2016, 4:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by joepercussion1
Forget the 700 free miles. Instead, just guarantee us PDBs, which is much more valuable to most FT members. Now, if I happen to be lucky enough to win 350,000, you won't see me complaining one bit

until you get the tax bill
Old May 6, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I think I will skip this one.
Old May 6, 2016, 9:06 am

I submitted my info for the firs 350 miles. For the 2nd 350 miles, I want to send an email. Interestingly, my AA number isn't automatically inserted in the subject line. I'll type it in, but I doubt a person manually reads all these emails to look for the AA account numbers.
Old May 6, 2016, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah - very questionable how they award the 350 miles for the email share.

At first I thought they had to receive an email from the email address used in the promo.

Now I'm thinking that just clicking the "email" button is enough to trigger it. Much simpler that way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.