Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA / JQ (Jetstar) checked baggage interlining and allowances

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA / JQ (Jetstar) checked baggage interlining and allowances

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2017, 7:01 pm

FYI, when flying on an AA itinerary to/from the US that includes a JQ operated flight in NZ, JetStar will likely attempt to apply their very restrictive carry-on baggage policy and charge for overweight carry-ons even though your carry-ons comply with AA’s baggage rules. They did this to my wife yesterday when she was flying on an AA itinerary that included LAX-AKL and AKL-CHC (operated by JQ).

This violates US law, specifically 14 CFR 399.87 which states: “In the case of code-share flights that form part of an itinerary whose ultimate ticketed origin or destination is a U.S. point, U.S. and foreign carriers must apply the baggage allowances and fees of the marketing carrier throughout the itinerary to the extent that they differ from those of the operating carrier.”

The U.S. DOT’s official FAQs on baggage policies state that 399.87 applies to “all baggage allowances and fees, including carry-on baggage policies and policies related to checked items beyond the first and second checked bags.”
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by doro
FYI, when flying on an AA itinerary to/from the US that includes a JQ operated flight in NZ, JetStar will likely attempt to apply their very restrictive carry-on baggage policy and charge for overweight carry-ons even though your carry-ons comply with AA’s baggage rules. They did this to my wife yesterday when she was flying on an AA itinerary that included LAX-AKL and AKL-CHC (operated by JQ).

This violates US law, specifically 14 CFR 399.87 which states: “In the case of code-share flights that form part of an itinerary whose ultimate ticketed origin or destination is a U.S. point, U.S. and foreign carriers must apply the baggage allowances and fees of the marketing carrier throughout the itinerary to the extent that they differ from those of the operating carrier.”

The U.S. DOT’s official FAQs on baggage policies state that 399.87 applies to “all baggage allowances and fees, including carry-on baggage policies and policies related to checked items beyond the first and second checked bags.”
And yet we are talking about a check in agent in a foreign, sovereign nation.

What do you expect the US DOT to do about it if Jetstar (NZ) sticks to their own rules? Do you think US law applies everywhere?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.