Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW Sunday Food Purchase Requirement for Liquor Gone?

DFW Sunday Food Purchase Requirement for Liquor Gone?

Old May 3, 2016, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by jpmcdonough
We still have remnants of some of the old blue laws here in Bible Belt country. You can't purchase alcohol in a supermarket or warehouse store before noon on Sunday. I didn't know they had allowed it in restaurants - in the past they didn't, before noon.
Originally Posted by captaink
The ORD AC won't serve booze at all before 11 AM on Sundays, and that's hardly "bible belt" country.
I remember being shocked that I couldn't get a drink before noon on Sunday in NYC, while I have no problems getting a mimosa with brunch where I live in the middle of the Bible Belt (in a town surrounded by dry counties no less).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 3, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by wrp96
I remember being shocked that I couldn't get a drink before noon on Sunday in NYC, while I have no problems getting a mimosa with brunch where I live in the middle of the Bible Belt (in a town surrounded by dry counties no less).
Here in San Francisco, our bars open at 6am even on Sundays.
Old May 3, 2016, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Here in San Francisco, our bars open at 6am even on Sundays.
As they should. Pretty sad we still have places in the US where they have these archaic laws.
asnovici likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is this still the case? I can't find any details (outside snark) that actually explains what the rules are. Are drinks available in the Admirals Club or Centurion Lounge past Noon on Sundays?
Old Jan 25, 2021, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by captaink
The ORD AC won't serve booze at all before 11 AM on Sundays, and that's hardly "bible belt" country.
they changed the law last year. Booze can now be sold at 9:00am on Sunday. I am surprised the city didn’t do this sooner if only to get more tax dollars
Old Jan 25, 2021, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is this still the case? I can't find any details (outside snark) that actually explains what the rules are. Are drinks available in the Admirals Club or Centurion Lounge past Noon on Sundays?
Buying drinks past noon hasn't been an issue, buying them prior to noon on Sunday requires a food purchase or food to be served. In short, assuming the Admirals clubs or Centurion Lounge are operating normally, you shouldn't have an issue purchasing booze past noon on Sunday.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
they changed the law last year. Booze can now be sold at 9:00am on Sunday. I am surprised the city didn’t do this sooner if only to get more tax dollars
Amazing that it is 2021 and we still have laws from the time when we thought the Sun revolved around the Earth.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 8:22 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by Antarius
Amazing that it is 2021 and we still have laws from the time when we thought the Sun revolved around the Earth.
Right? There are people out there, great people I might add, wonderful people... where Sunday means nothing more than any other day. Not everyone works M-F and for some people Sunday is their Saturday, etc.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by brodielayne
As they should. Pretty sad we still have places in the US where they have these archaic laws.
Reminds me of when I was a child in South Philly in the 60's. A block away, down a tiny street (like an alley) there was a PA state liquor store. It was across the street from the mob hangout, Palumbo's Restaurant
Mom's friends included a guy named "Trigger Mike" We lived on Montrose, just a few doors away from the 9th St Market, On the other end of the block was a 7 Up bottling plant.....Almost across the street from our house was a public pool surrounded by a wall. When that was closed, we often used a fire hydrant to stay cool in the summer. We referred to the barber as, "Joe the barber". What a neighborhood that was.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Deleted.

Last edited by aamilesslave; Jan 26, 2021 at 11:26 am Reason: Didn't realize how old this thread was
Old Jan 26, 2021, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by mvoight
Reminds me of when I was a child in South Philly in the 60's. A block away, down a tiny street (like an alley) there was a PA state liquor store. It was across the street from the mob hangout, Palumbo's Restaurant
Mom's friends included a guy named "Trigger Mike" We lived on Montrose, just a few doors away from the 9th St Market, On the other end of the block was a 7 Up bottling plant.....Almost across the street from our house was a public pool surrounded by a wall. When that was closed, we often used a fire hydrant to stay cool in the summer. We referred to the barber as, "Joe the barber". What a neighborhood that was.
Speaking of memories: the PA state liquor store at 41st & Market was generally quite lax about checking IDs, far less stringent than local pizza shops/Wawas that were allowed to sell beer/malt liquor for off-premises consumption. I guess the PLCB figured that if you were willing to brave 41st & Market, you should be rewarded with Everclear or vodka instead of weaker stuff that could be obtained closer to campus...

Edited to add: does the change mean that alcoholic PDBs are now legal in Texas before 1200 on Sundays?
SkyTeam777 likes this.

Last edited by Herb687; Jan 26, 2021 at 2:29 pm Reason: Legality of Sunday Morning PDBs
Old Jan 27, 2021, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by Herb687
Edited to add: does the change mean that alcoholic PDBs are now legal in Texas before 1200 on Sundays?
You'd need some PDF (food) to go with the PDB, which doesn't exist.
Antarius and freeagent like this.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by james318
Right? There are people out there, great people I might add, wonderful people... where Sunday means nothing more than any other day. Not everyone works M-F and for some people Sunday is their Saturday, etc.
Indeed. And the beauty of having choice is that if you choose not to drink, you can do just that. Or eat somewhere that doesn't serve alcohol.

I'm a vegetarian, but I don't expect the rest of the world to be either.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
You'd need some PDF (food) to go with the PDB, which doesn't exist.
Do TX liquor laws differentiate between requiring a purchase of food in order to purchase liquor and the ability to receive liquor for free?

I remember this being an issue here in DFW when restaurants/strip clubs who lost/couldn't obtain their liquor license were legally able to just give booze away.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by Herb687
Do TX liquor laws differentiate between requiring a purchase of food in order to purchase liquor and the ability to receive liquor for free?

I remember this being an issue here in DFW when restaurants/strip clubs who lost/couldn't obtain their liquor license were legally able to just give booze away.
In the eyes of most state ABCs getting free alcohol on flights, or in clubs, is that the alcohol isn’t really free. It’s included in the price of the ticket or lounge membership. When giving alcohol away for free there has to be no strings attached and no money exchanging hands for other services.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.