JFK int'l check-in cutoff?

Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT
JFK int'l check-in cutoff?

The only thread I could find that got close to answering this is closed to new posts. I am flying JFK-CDG. Not checking any bags. On various parts of the AA website, I see that cutoff for int'l check-in is 60 mins or 90 mins prior to departure. And elsewhere on FT I saw as early as 2 hours prior. I have priority check-in and not checking bags so don't anticipate it taking any longer than usual to pass through TSA. Altho I have to obtain my boarding pass in person.

As a side issue, I attempted to check in online, and on the very same web page see messages saying "you are already checked in" and "we can't check you in online."

It's been a couple years since my last int'l flight so I'm just looking to get some non-conflicting advice on when I need to show up and whether or not I'm already checked in. Help!
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...rivalTimes.jsp

Seems pretty straight forward - 60 minutes
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:42 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thewhitezone
The only thread I could find that got close to answering this is closed to new posts. I am flying JFK-CDG. Not checking any bags. On various parts of the AA website, I see that cutoff for int'l check-in is 60 mins or 90 mins prior to departure. And elsewhere on FT I saw as early as 2 hours prior. I have priority check-in and not checking bags so don't anticipate it taking any longer than usual to pass through TSA. Altho I have to obtain my boarding pass in person.

As a side issue, I attempted to check in online, and on the very same web page see messages saying "you are already checked in" and "we can't check you in online."

It's been a couple years since my last int'l flight so I'm just looking to get some non-conflicting advice on when I need to show up and whether or not I'm already checked in. Help!
JFK has TWO CDG flights--which one are you on?
From 12 noon to about 3pm, they don't have many flights out of T8, so TSA has lots of closed lanes. I've seen huge lines for TSA until around 3:30 pm (when they open more lanes). [Priority Access and Pre-Check lines are MUCH better.] Are you PA or PC?
Since you have NO checked bags, IF you can print your bp from a kiosk, will add extra time (if needed) to get through TSA.
If you are taking the 2nd CDG flight, TSA issues should have improved by then.
In the "worst case scenario" if you allow 2 hours and you get through security fast, you have time to kill; if you miss your flight by allowing too little time...
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...rivalTimes.jsp

Seems pretty straight forward - 60 minutes

or is it a straightforward 90 minutes ?

https://www.aa.com/reservation/fligh...tionsAccess.do
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nrr
JFK has TWO CDG flights--which one are you on?
From 12 noon to about 3pm, they don't have many flights out of T8, so TSA has lots of closed lanes. I've seen huge lines for TSA until around 3:30 pm (when they open more lanes). [Priority Access and Pre-Check lines are MUCH better.] Are you PA or PC?
Since you have NO checked bags, IF you can print your bp from a kiosk, will add extra time (if needed) to get through TSA.
If you are taking the 2nd CDG flight, TSA issues should have improved by then.
In the "worst case scenario" if you allow 2 hours and you get through security fast, you have time to kill; if you miss your flight by allowing too little time...

I am on the 9pm flight. I will have PA and usually get PC even though I didn't sign up for it. (Still getting this little perk consistently even though the managed inclusion program is supposedly done.)

What I'd like is to arrive at the airport at 730. This should give me more than enough time to get through all the hurdles and still make the 8:30 boarding time. I would rather spend the extra time on my own time instead of slumming in the AC.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:18 am
Suspended

...I would rather spend the extra time on my own time instead of slumming in the AC.
Then that's your decision and your risk.

But, respectfully, based on your questions and your posts in this thread, I'd say you might be taking a small risk and should pad that time by 15 minutes or so.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Then that's your decision and your risk.

But, respectfully, based on your questions and your posts in this thread, I'd say you might be taking a small risk and should pad that time by 15 minutes or so.
Isn't it always...

Thanks, appreciate that assessment. Helps to know I'm in the ballpark.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The check-in deadline for international flights is T-60 and then boarding at T-30. If OP has been able to complete OLCI and does not have bags to check, he need only worry about the latter deadline as he will already be checked in by the time he arrives at JFK.

Whether that is sensible is a matter of risk tolerance having to do with the urgency of OP's trip.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
The cutoff is definitely 60 minutes. No ambiguity.

I would be comfortable arriving 7:30pm for a 9pm. But as always, YMMV.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver

That link says check in online until 90 minutes before departure for international. So if you can't get a boarding pass through online check-in, you need to get it at the airport no less than 60 minutes before departure. And that means you need to have the boarding pass printed by 60 minutes before departure. If you're getting the boarding pass from a kiosk, I believe there is no leeway whatsoever. If you're getting it from an agent, the agent may be able to print the boarding pass less than 60 minutes before departure if you were in line and/or at the check-in counter by 60 minutes, by I wouldn't count on it. There are periodic reports on FlyerTalk of customers who arrive at the check-in counter 59 minutes before departure (or 44 minutes for domestic flights) and are not able to obtain a boarding pass and clear security, even if they had already printed a boarding pass at home but forgotten it or something.

I am one who tends to err very much on the cut-it-close side, but shooting to arrive at the airport without a boarding pass 60 minutes before departure when the check-in cutoff is much closer than I would cut it.

Personally, I would aim to be at a kiosk getting my boarding pass printed 75 minutes before departure, which means getting to the airport whenever I need to to make that the case. But I haven't flown AA out of JFK in almost 20 years, so don't take that as airport-specific advice.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:02 am

That is for on-line check in. At the kiosk it is 60 minutes.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The check-in deadline is unambiguous. It is T-60 for international unless it is one of the posted exceptions. There is no posted exception for JFK, so it is T-60. I do not see how any reading of the AA website, including other deadlines, e.g. for OLCI, could be read to change the drop dead time for check in itself.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Considering how bad TSA lines have been getting and that TSA, AA, and local airport authorities have been urging passengers to arrive at least 2 hours early, that would be my advice as well. There are times when neither Priority nor Pre✓ will help you.

Originally Posted by ashill
If you're getting it from an agent, the agent may be able to print the boarding pass less than 60 minutes before departure if you were in line and/or at the check-in counter by 60 minutes, by I wouldn't count on it. There are periodic reports on FlyerTalk of customers who arrive at the check-in counter 59 minutes before departure (or 44 minutes for domestic flights) and are not able to obtain a boarding pass and clear security, even if they had already printed a boarding pass at home but forgotten it or something.
^ No credit is given for time waiting in line. If the agent hits Enter at D-59:59, the bag tag will not print and in most cases neither will the boarding pass.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 1:54 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ashill
That link says check in online until 90 minutes before departure for international. So if you can't get a boarding pass through online check-in, you need to get it at the airport no less than 60 minutes before departure. And that means you need to have the boarding pass printed by 60 minutes before departure. If you're getting the boarding pass from a kiosk, I believe there is no leeway whatsoever. If you're getting it from an agent, the agent may be able to print the boarding pass less than 60 minutes before departure if you were in line and/or at the check-in counter by 60 minutes, by I wouldn't count on it. There are periodic reports on FlyerTalk of customers who arrive at the check-in counter 59 minutes before departure (or 44 minutes for domestic flights) and are not able to obtain a boarding pass and clear security, even if they had already printed a boarding pass at home but forgotten it or something.

I am one who tends to err very much on the cut-it-close side, but shooting to arrive at the airport without a boarding pass 60 minutes before departure when the check-in cutoff is much closer than I would cut it.

Personally, I would aim to be at a kiosk getting my boarding pass printed 75 minutes before departure, which means getting to the airport whenever I need to to make that the case. But I haven't flown AA out of JFK in almost 20 years, so don't take that as airport-specific advice.
All the more reason to print your bp (and other documents as well) to a PDF file (using CUTE.PDF or Microsoft pdf) to a file on the "cloud". [You would need a computer to access them, of course.]
Old Apr 27, 2016, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by nrr
All the more reason to print your bp (and other documents as well) to a PDF file (using CUTE.PDF or Microsoft pdf)
Of just use a Mac, on which this is a built-in feature and has been for over a decade.

to a file on the "cloud". [You would need a computer to access them, of course.]
Or a smartphone.

But this isn't relevant for the OP, who can't get a boarding pass online for some reason anyway. I was just illustrating that even someone who is "more" checked in than the OP can't clear security if not at the airport safely before T-60.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.