Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA award - no notification of cancelled AB flight - LONG

Old Apr 23, 16, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS Gold MVP; UA 1MM; Hilton Gold. Marriott Platinum

On 11/14/15 I booked 2 business class one way award tickets from PDX/DFW/DUS on May 29, 2016.
On 3/3/16 I received the email (shown at the bottom of the post) I did not interpret this to be other than a flight # or minor schedule change (the bold print in the email, was made bold by AA)
Then yesterday after reading about the new Business class seats on AB, i decided to check which seats we were in, when I went to the AA site I got a message saying they the reservation could not be found and to contact AA.
I did contact them to find that the DFW/DUS leg is no longer operational and the flight is unable to be served by business class flight to Europe by any other routing.
I then spent over an hour on the phone trying to find a business class flight from ANY US gateway to ANY European Gateway - figuring I could build the other sectors, after obtaining the trans-atlantic sector. No luck.
The only available flights were on BA, which of course incurs the fuel surcharges taxes of $500 per person (and they would not waive these) also the other problem is that the redemption rates for flights to Europe have also just increased, and they would not allow me to make a new booking at the lower level, if I could find flights.

So does anyone have any ideas of how to locate flights or seek some sort of compensation? All I want are the 2 business class seats to Europe - I am flexible by about 3 days on either side of the originally booked date of May 29, 2016. My main complaint is that I was never notified that my flight did not even exist any more.

My email, from March 3, 2016
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mrs XXXXXX
Date of Issue: 03MAR16
Record Locator: XXXXXX
We wanted to let you know about a recent schedule change to your reservation. The current itinerary is listed below.
You may be receiving this notification as a result of a flight number change. If you've reserved a Main Cabin Extra or Preferred seat or have pre-ordered a meal, we have reconfirmed those requests for you on the new flight number. If you'd like to review those selections, simply view your reservation details at aa.com to verify your request.
To get the most up-to-date information about your flight, we recommend that you check your flight status on aa.com before departing for the airport. You may also want to sign up for flight status notifications so you can receive the latest details even while you're on-the-go.
Need to change your reservation? Please call 1-800-433-7300 and refer to the above record locator.
Thank you for choosing American Airlines / American Eagle, a member of the oneworld® Alliance. We look forward to seeing you on board soon.
This document is for informational purposes only and is intended to advise the passenger (s) of a schedule change. This is not a ticket or electronic receipt.
This email address is non-returnable and will not accommodate replies.

Date: 29 MAY 2016 - SUNDAY
Flight : American 2472 738
Departure: PORTLAND OR 7:37 AM 03HR 53MIN
Arrival: DALLAS FT WORTH 1:30 PM NON- STOP
Name: Mrs XXXXXX SEAT 4E FIRST FF#: XXXXXX Food For Purchase
Departure: PORTLAND OR 7:37 AM 03HR 53MIN
Arrival: DALLAS FT WORTH 1:30 PM NON- STOP
Name: DMr XXXXXX SEAT 4F FIRST FF#: XXXXXX Food For Purchase
Departure: DALLAS FT WORTH 2:40 PM 09HR 25MIN
Arrival: DUSSELDORF 7:05 AM NON- STOP
30 MAY 2016 - MON
Name: Mrs XXXXXX SEAT 3F BUSINESS FF#: XXXXXX Meals
Departure: DALLAS FT WORTH 2:40 PM 09HR 25MIN
Arrival: DUSSELDORF 7:05 AM NON- STOP
30 MAY 2016 - MON
Name: Mr XXXXXX SEAT 3E BUSINESS FF#: XXXXXX Meals

Last edited by dstan; Apr 24, 16 at 8:44 am Reason: remove personal info
Old Apr 23, 16, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
I'm by no means an expert at this so if there's a better idea hopefully someone will share. I'm guessing that AB isn't starting that flight as planned at the beginning of May.

In any event, if you don't mind an extra connection, I would call AA and ask them to route you through ORD on their metal. I believe they can open up award space on their own planes so it shouldn't matter if it's not showing availability.

Maybe wait for a couple more responses to see if there is a better idea before changing anything.
Old Apr 23, 16, 9:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (peon)
AA flies to DUS from ORD and will open up award inventory on their own planes for significant schedule changes (there's a thread dedicated to the schedule change topic). It looks like flying from PDX to ORD is going to involve 2 hops rather than 1 on a weekend, but if you can do a weekday then you can eventually end up with PDX/ORD/DUS on AA (might need some persistence and/or a few call attempts, though the opening of award space is something the phone agent would need to ask the help desk to do).
Old Apr 23, 16, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by lhiltz View Post
I then spent over an hour on the phone

they would not allow me to make a new booking at the lower level, if I could find flights.
s
As others are writing, AA should be able to open space.

HUCA applies...you need to find an agent that recognizes that AA/AB are at fault here.... and is willing to make it right. They definitely CAN do it.
Old Apr 24, 16, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
They should move you to those BA flights fee free, or open up AA metal flights. Keep calling until you get accommodated.
Old Apr 24, 16, 9:24 am

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
We had a VCE-DUS-LAX award with dus-lax in business and the date got moved by a day. I called in and AA opened space and moved us to VCE-PHL-LAX. It took about 10 minutes, tops. Just look on AA.com at the AAnytime awards, pick one you want and call and tell them to book you on that for the same mileage you paid due to the schedule change.
Old Apr 24, 16, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS Gold MVP; UA 1MM; Hilton Gold. Marriott Platinum
Just wanted to report back, that following all of the great advice given here and another 2 calls to AA, they managed to find and make available business class saver award space on AA metal from ORD to DUS. So Happy campers right now

Search this Thread
Search Engine: