Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HKG-DFW-JKF $430, but HKG-DFW $1320. Why the big difference?

Old Apr 23, 16, 2:28 pm
cjt
Original Poster

Forgive me if this is a stupid question...

12Jun 14:30 AA138 HKG-DFW
19Jun 12:50 AA137 DFW-HKG $1320 RT...

...but only $430 after adding on a JFK segment (going to JKF the next morning, and leaving JFK the morning of the return to HKG).

Is this a common thing? Is there a trick to this that I can use for finding other cheap fares?

Also, anyone know how common VDB/IDB is on this route. I wouldn't find an extra day in HKG if the compensation is right.

Thanks!
Old Apr 23, 16, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Yes, this happens all the time: nonstop flights from a hub can be more expensive than connecting flights to an outstation through the same hub. Though it's surprising to me that JFK exhibits this behavior. Google Flights and ITA Matrix are great tools for finding similar deals.
Old Apr 23, 16, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA Platinum - 1MM
Checkout skiplagged.com
Old Apr 23, 16, 4:28 pm

This appears to be a common open jaw practice. To fly from one airport and depart from another. I can find flights for HKG to JFK just not sure how much the flight will be between JFK and JKF. Keep that in mind.

Originally Posted by cjt View Post
Forgive me if this is a stupid question...

12Jun 14:30 AA138 HKG-DFW
19Jun 12:50 AA137 DFW-HKG $1320 RT...

...but only $430 after adding on a JFK segment (going to JKF the next morning, and leaving JFK the morning of the return to HKG).

Is this a common thing? Is there a trick to this that I can use for finding other cheap fares?

Also, anyone know how common VDB/IDB is on this route. I wouldn't find an extra day in HKG if the compensation is right.

Thanks!
Old Apr 23, 16, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Why is A more expensive than B?

The answers are typically supply, demand, and competition.

Originally Posted by lovefly88 View Post
This appears to be a common open jaw practice. To fly from one airport and depart from another. I can find flights for HKG to JFK just not sure how much the flight will be between JFK and JKF. Keep that in mind.
Probably not sure what the cost would be because JKF is an unused IATA code, and thus doesn't exist. Before trying to be a wise* with an obvious typo, you should have at least checked that.
Old Apr 24, 16, 1:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold
Don't think of it as HKG-DFW-JFK, but rather as HKG-XXX-JFK.

There's no competition on the nonstop from HKG-DFW which justifies the higher fare. However, there are several ways to fly on a connection from HKG-JFK and AA is competing with every airline to carry you on a connecting itinerary from HKG to JFK so they have to compete, amongst other things, on price.