Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium or MCE Seating on SAAver Award?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
When you try to book with Avios on ba.com, you supposedly see what's available for MileSAAver on aa.com.

When you book an award flight you cannot buy an MCE or preferred seat; Avios or MileSAAver or AAnytime does not matter.

If you are AA Plat / OWS or AA ExPlat / OWE you can select such a seat free whether (any) award or not. Gold / OWR doesn't get them for free until T-24, so maybe they could do it on an award then; I'm not sure.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
When you try to book with Avios on ba.com, you supposedly see what's available for MileSAAver on aa.com.

When you book an award flight you cannot buy an MCE or preferred seat; Avios or MileSAAver or AAnytime does not matter.

If you are AA Plat / OWS or AA ExPlat / OWE you can select such a seat free whether (any) award or not. Gold / OWR doesn't get them for free until T-24, so maybe they could do it on an award then; I'm not sure.
Yes, Gold can pick MCE at T-24 on an Avios award.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum

Makes sense. Thanks everyone!

Though, I'm still a bit confused because I was able to select preferred seats for free when I booked 3 MilesAAver awards for a trip in February and I have no status, just the AA Plat Exec biz, and as far as I know that is not a benefit of the card.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 1:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Jpr0930
Makes sense. Thanks everyone!

Though, I'm still a bit confused because I was able to select preferred seats for free when I booked 3 MilesAAver awards for a trip in February and I have no status, just the AA Plat Exec biz, and as far as I know that is not a benefit of the card.
You are correct; no credit card actually confers status. And without status... Ouch!

You were fortunate you were able to select preferred seats the last time.

I'll clarify the title and make it more search engine friendly now that we know it was Avios, and not an AAdvantage / AA miles award. Thanks!
Old Jun 11, 2016, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
You are correct; no credit card actually confers status. And without status... Ouch!

You were fortunate you were able to select preferred seats the last time.

I'll clarify the title now that we know it was Avios, and not an AAdvantage / AA miles award. Thanks!
Very fortunate indeed, especially with a toddler in tow! Thanks folks.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 1:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Jpr0930
Very fortunate indeed, especially with a toddler in tow! Thanks folks.
I don't know if it would work if you called and told AA personnel about the toddler, but I'd give it a try. And try again at the airport. Good luck.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
I don't know if it would work if you called and told AA personnel about the toddler, but I'd give it a try. And try again at the airport. Good luck.
Good tips. Worst they can say is no.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:31 pm

Selecting Seats on Award Ticket LAX-JFK

Quick question for those more savvy with AA:

Just booked a T-class award ticket from LAX-JFK on AA's A321-transcons in November...obviously I'll be stuck in the very back. Problem is, I am only being allowed to pick middle seats (and I know how AA blocks out "elite" seats). I wouldn't even mind paying for MCE, but obviously it's not letting me

Is there any way to select a window or aisle before the flight, or at least will they be released before T-24? Or is my best bet just to check in at T-24 and hope for the best.

Thanks all
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by jk88usa
Or is my best bet just to check in at T-24 and hope for the best.

Thanks all
I presume you have no status with AA, hence the middle seat availability, also, AA does not allow the purchase of MCE seats on award tickets. Best bet is to start checking within 24hrs to see what is available. Perhaps once the upgrade window starts and see what seats are there.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IME some premium-only seats will be released at T-24.5 h.

I thought AA "fixed" the issue of buying MCE on SAAver awards, but I guess not?
You can also redeem an AAnytime award which includes free MCE.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by arollins
...AA does not allow the purchase of MCE seats on award tickets.
They, in fact, now do-- just not on all flights and/or based on availability.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 2:16 pm

Thanks for the input.

One thing I'll note that's interesting: I am not allowed to purchase MCE on the website, but when I use the app sure enough it offers every MCE seat available for purchase.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jk88usa
Thanks for the input.

One thing I'll note that's interesting: I am not allowed to purchase MCE on the website, but when I use the app sure enough it offers every MCE seat available for purchase.
Weird - I thought the app basically just redirected to the embedded browser to do seat selection (like it does nearly everything else. ). Though maybe it's the difference between the desktop website and the mobile website?
In any event, glad you're able to get MCE!
Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:03 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Thanks for clarification. Any idea what are the parameters for the flights where you are allowed to do so?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
So is the ability for AA Gold to purchase them at 1/2 price on Saver tickets now working too (on the proper flights and when there is availability)?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.