Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Domestic F (passenger and service) Follies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Domestic F (passenger and service) Follies

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2016, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
Those are the ones I tend to get when flying out of DFW and I haven't noticed any priority lines, which I have complained about. AA said I can just cut to the front of the line at those gates but I'm not sure how the gate agent would respond.
Didn't the Low A refurbishment create a new priority lanes at those gates physically separate from the normal lane feeding in to the BP readers?
Old Apr 27, 2016, 12:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by serfty
Didn't the Low A refurbishment create a new priority lanes at those gates physically separate from the normal lane feeding in to the BP readers?
That's what I'm confused about now. I haven't seen any separate priority lanes but it's possible that I wasn't looking hard enough.

If a $75 roundtrip to DFW pops up again it might be worth flying out just to investigate.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 5:54 am

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
I flew out from A8 (lowest A gate) on Sunday. There was a single boarding lane designated by solid dividers. I wish I would have taken a photo to post. There was no use of any special priority lane whatsoever. It looks like there was a small space behind the counter area (large American sign with the informational display), but was being used for storage of wheelchairs and other supplies from what I could see. This area didn't really feed to the BP scanners, but instead passed where they were. The scanner was on the counter next to the computer, but this space behind the counter was basically at the boarding door.

It seems like they are using the lower A gates on flights with lower elite densities possibly, hence not having a priority lane designated? It would make sense considering how far A8 is from the nearest Admirals Club. Additionally, this gate used to be the stairs that led down to the old eagle gates in Terminal A. Possibly this was put into place in the low A gates in a way to further consolidate space and fit an extra gate in post TRIP in this area?
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:14 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by joepercussion1
It seems like they are using the lower A gates on flights with lower elite densities possibly, hence not having a priority lane designated? It would make sense considering how far A8 is from the nearest Admirals Club.
There is no way that Ops is taking elite density or distance from the AC into account for gate assignments.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:40 am

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
There is no way that Ops is taking elite density or distance from the AC into account for gate assignments.
I wouldn't be surprised in some cases though, possibly on certain routes which tend to be very light on elites. AA2386 on the weekends almost always departs from low A gates. More prime routes tend to get more "prime" gates.

It is just a theory considering the odd setup of these low A gates...
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:26 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill
Row 1 sadly finds this as a necessity of you are planning on putting a carryon (and a personal item) in the overhead bin in first. I cannot count the number of times I have seen 1st passengers put their 3 bags in the overhead and nothing under their seat. It only makes it harder on those in row 1.

So the need for some to get in line early is a function of others inconsiderate attitude.
Supposedly only 2 bags are permitted [if I had a $1 each time this rule was violated, I'd be super wealthy now]. GAs should (some DO) enforce the limits.
Sometimes FAs keep the bins for bulkhead pax off limits, until the bh have boarded--shouldn't they ALWAYS do this?
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I agree. The lack of elite lines at AA gates in DFW A Terminal is extremely disappointing and needs to be fixed. ASAP.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
I agree. The lack of elite lines at AA gates in DFW A Terminal is extremely disappointing and needs to be fixed. ASAP.
Another reason to avoid DFW.
Old May 2, 2016, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by joepercussion1
I flew out from A8 (lowest A gate) on Sunday. There was a single boarding lane designated by solid dividers. I wish I would have taken a photo to post. There was no use of any special priority lane whatsoever. It looks like there was a small space behind the counter area (large American sign with the informational display), but was being used for storage of wheelchairs and other supplies from what I could see. This area didn't really feed to the BP scanners, but instead passed where they were. The scanner was on the counter next to the computer, but this space behind the counter was basically at the boarding door.
It appears that AA is no longer utilizing the "rear" priority lanes. I flew out of A-10 yesterday and other low-A gates recently. Immediately after the refurb, the gate agents (presumably at company direction) started boarding F and elites from behind the desk, but boarded handicap and numbered zones from in front. It worked well. Not sure why it has been discontinued.
Old May 2, 2016, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by BSBD
..and in MIA today, the GA boarding my flight started like this:

"Welcome to the flight. We'd now like to board military, Gold, Platinum, Executive Platinum...oh, and First Class."
One of the many terrible realities of using MIA. This exact thing happened to me a couple days ago coming back to ORD. A minor scuffle broke out between a FC passenger and a Gold. I was in 4A but didn't have anything to stow so I sat back and watched the chaos.

I wish a giant hand would reach out of my monitor and smack me hard across the face when I look at itineraries that involve MIA.
Old May 2, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP Hilton Diamond
This is very easy to resolve. The airlines just don't want to solve it, not a priority. All you have to do is have the GA announce that they will enforce the boarding order and then have them actually enforce it. If you've ever flown out of Asia you can see how this works. Even WN is pretty good at this.

Last edited by pbuntrock; May 2, 2016 at 12:51 pm
Old May 2, 2016, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbuntrock
This is very easy to resolve. The airlines just don't want to solve it, not a priority. All you have to do is have the GA announce that they will enforce the boarding order and then have them actually enforce it. If you've ever flown out of Asia you can see how this works. Even WN is pretty good at this.
I think it needs to go beyond enforcement, and you need to actually dis-incentivize (i.e., penalize) people from attempting to board prematurely. Otherwise, they'll continue to do it in the off chance the boarding isn't enforced, or until 3 years from now when the message finally gets through that there's no point.
So GA's could announce they'll mark BP's with red X's and you'll be demoted to Group X, which will board last, if you try and jump your turn. And if you're using your iPhone, then they'll just put the red X on your forehead.

I think at WN there's just a cultural difference - probably because the stakes are so much higher, and the disincentive to board early is that the other passengers will whoop your a55.
Old May 2, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by pbuntrock
CX is excellent at this, with the large signs that indicate where to queue, with a couple of gate agents patrolling the F/J line, verifying boarding passes for the appropriate cabin or OWS or above.

GAs in ORD on Friday also did a great job of turning away pax who tried boarding too early. I had booked a last minute ticket, so missed my upgrade. But I saw a few folks turned away during F boarding. IME, more likely than not it's the credit card holders or purchasers of priority access that try to board too early, versus elites who actually know the process. Although depending on the city there can always be a few DYKWIAs.
Old May 2, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Amex Plat, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by fastflyer
As soon as the gate agent called for F boarding (I had a paid A ticket), I stood up and picked my way through the gate lice. One woman standing with an enormous backpack turned and (it appeared) purposefully bumped into me with a loud "oh, excuse me," as I tried to maneuver around her. She then rotated back and her backpack knocked another man off his balance. Like me he had only a briefcase, and he was also seated in F. As multiple passengers tried to make their way to the scanner, the flustered gate agent admonished at least half that they should wait for their zone 3 boarding (but he let them board anyway). As I approached the line entrypoint, a man blocked my access with his rollaboard. As I asked gently, "first class boarding?" He made an exaggerated gesture allowing me in front of him and then followed me down the jetbridge. At the aircraft door I overheard him berate the FA: "I had a first class seat on a previous flight so I'm boarding now." After cursing under his breath as F passengers put away their carry-ons, he made his way to 27E.
I've had this exact experience multiple times in PBI. Some of the worst passengers in the system. I'll never understand why retirees on their way too and from south florida are in such a bad mood
Old May 23, 2016, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AlwaysTheTourist
I've had this exact experience multiple times in PBI. Some of the worst passengers in the system.
Yesterday 5/22, PBI B-12 was truly lice-tastic. The 5:11pm O'Hare flight hadn't even started to board at 4:30, and at least half the plane was milling in the cattle pen between the two seating areas, completely blocking access to the gate and both regular and premium boarding lanes. The gate agents did nothing to police the area, nor were there any discernible queues.

I overheard the wheelchair operators planning their attack to circumvent the entire scrum via a chevron action from the B-10 desk flank. When I finally got to the front of the First boarding lane, I witnessed a family of six bottlestopping the economy lane, blocking several pre-boarders. The mother was arguing with the announcements gate agent that with one child "on the spectrum" her entire family was entitled to board with F (and to that GA's credit, the family was not allowed through). The other GA, who was operating the boarding card reader, was rolling her eyes.

Some kind of repeated announcements or even boarding area control is needed. PBI-ORD seems worse than PBI-DFW but I cannot believe I am seriously considering gate conditions when choosing my routings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.