Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Domestic F (passenger and service) Follies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Domestic F (passenger and service) Follies

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, EY Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*, Global Entry
Originally Posted by dpb132
This is exactly right and IMHO the one simple thing that AA could address quickly and painlessly. Most passengers don't fly enough to understand the nuances of "Executive Platinum" versus "Platinum", etc. All they see is "Priority Access" or "Group 1" on their boarding pass and they understandably assume they will be boarding first.

AA could simply move to a 1 through 10 boarding group system, where Group 1 is first class, Group 2 is uniformed military, etc. etc. all the way through the various current coach boarding groups, and eliminate all mention of "priority" terminology from the boarding passes.
That sounds great and would cut down on confusion. But it would make the credit card benefit sound terrible.

1-F
2-J
3-EXP/PLT
4-GLD
5-PA/Airpass
6-Zone 1
7-Zone 2
8-Zone 3
9-Zone 4
10-Zone 5

Now imagine the FA hawking in the card. "With the new double select super platinum credit card you get zone 7 boarding." Good luck getting anyone to bite on that.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
I think you can go with less groups:

1 - First, Uniformed Military and Exp
2 - Business and Plat
3 - Gold and CC holders
4-6 for rest.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Gshumway
I think you can go with less groups:
This is the point, really... it's a marketing move for AA. The people boarding last don't want to be in Group 37. Group 4 sounds a lot better, and the once-a-year flyers might not even know that's the last group until they realize they're the only ones left standing at the gate. At the other end of the spectrum, in general, people won't stop buying F and/or flying enough to make EXP because they have to wade through a few gate lice, so there's little incentive for AA to improve the process.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 4:10 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Without a massive reconfiguration of gate areas that would effectively segregate paxs by boarding order gate lice are here to stay. What pisses me off more than gate lice are the F paxs that 20 minutes before F boarding are already in the boarding lane as though the a/c is going to leave without them. I've seen crew and wheelchair coordinators being blocked by some blockhead in the Priority Lane. Of course one or two F paxs leads to more F paxs lining up way early and unless you want your bags over row 6 while you are in row 3 you need to join the same fray. Moreover, IME this trends seems to be becoming much more prevalent.

I've also noticed recently that on the 737/32B/757 the F cabin is now being served by one F, which was the way LUS served the LUS 321/757 F cabin. Not a biggie on a longer flight. Most FAs keep Y paxs out of the F lav while they are trying to get the service completed and a little afterwards so that F paxs get a crack at the F lav first. Given the never ending rise in human crudeness I doubt that inflight will bet much better in as far as politeness and civility. Welcome to the world of 2016.

Row 1 sadly finds this as a necessity of you are planning on putting a carryon (and a personal item) in the overhead bin in first. I cannot count the number of times I have seen 1st passengers put their 3 bags in the overhead and nothing under their seat. It only makes it harder on those in row 1.

So the need for some to get in line early is a function of others inconsiderate attitude.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 4:20 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
I make a point when I'm in coach not to use the F lab. I can understand it during service but if I don't get an upgrade I try and respect the process. I thought I read somewhere that AA technically doesn't enforce coach passengers using (or not using) the F lav. It seemed it was more enforced on pmUS but not a policy of AA.
Nothing to enforce. On domestic flights coach passengers are permitted by AA to use the F lavs.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
All of the gates at the end of the B concourse (where AA resides) at PBI are horrible and completely lend to the boarding follies that are quite routine there. It's the natural outcome of a very small boarding path / area.

The gates in the more forward parts of B and C are a little better because there is a little more space in the aisles but not much. I'm a regular there (FLL and MIA too) and it's not a very traveler-friendly airport. I'm still burnt that AA moved out of C post merger since I can't hit the DL Sky Club anymore when flying AA... one of the reasons I've moved 85% of my travel over to DL.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 11:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve
And you must be so much better than the people in your way.
Reminds me of an exchange I saw between a late running passenger and an agent at a crowded ticket counter. The passenger came in through the exit and completely ignored the dozens of people waiting in line ahead of her. When the agent told her to wait in line, she said "I need to catch a flight!" The agent responded "So do they, ma'am. That's kind of the point of coming to the airport."

Originally Posted by dpb132
This is exactly right and IMHO the one simple thing that AA could address quickly and painlessly. Most passengers don't fly enough to understand the nuances of "Executive Platinum" versus "Platinum", etc. All they see is "Priority Access" or "Group 1" on their boarding pass and they understandably assume they will be boarding first.
As it is I see plenty of people thinking that they're AAdvantage Platinum because they got approved for the Citi card.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
At PBI this Sunday (4/24), the gate agents had closed off all sides of the tensa-barriers so that no one could stand in the premium lane.

Didn't stop the licing in the B-12 standing zone, but at least no one was blocking passage through the lane as observed previously.

Gate agents wouldn't like it, but I do think the EasyJet solution is best. Instruct all of the first pax to form a line, and then visually check their credentials before boarding begins. Same could be done for elites in coach.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by fastflyer
When the first gates at DFW terminal A were renovated, the gates featured two lines -- a general boarding line directly in front of the gate, and a slightly hidden access point behind the gate agent desk. This was great, because the zone 1s and friends could line up right in front, while first and elites were boarded quietly from a different lane.
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
I flew out of DFW Terminal A last week and didn't see a priority lane so I assumed there was only one lane and joined the scrum and now I feel like a fool. Is there still a semi-hidden priority lane at those gates?
Have the physically separated lanes been removed from these gates? There are now several low A gates at DFW that have only one boarding lane now (no Priority separator). These are a real clusterf&$#.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by thegrailer
Is there an actual boarding order that GAs are supposed to follow? The order never seems to be the same from flight to flight
Yes, there is. Small outstations often are the ones doing it correctly, reading directly from the script.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Yes, there is. Small outstations often are the ones doing it correctly, reading directly from the script.
..and in MIA today, the GA boarding my flight started like this:

"Welcome to the flight. We'd now like to board military, Gold, Platinum, Executive Platinum...oh, and First Class."
Old Apr 26, 2016, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
I like reading these threads when they pop up every few months because much of the content is exactly what I’m thinking. The lice problem is part of what you accept. These are the same folks who are oblivious left lane vigilante drivers, and putz around dense urban areas like DC screwing around with mobile devices. They don’t care because they have no idea what is going on around them. No clue.

Oh, a few may be the intentional louse but lately I’ve noticed a lot of C boarders are just following the herd - and it only takes a few - but many have less than 2 bags and just wobble on when they are called.

Some of the worst are elites, actually. Rushing the field types once called, and some are pretty aggressive. I do not understand why if you are in F 1 bag of 2 can’t go under the seat. And I don’t understand why if you are bulkhead F you whine about having to stash your larger bag a row back is a big deal. I’ve been there. What does that cost on deplaning? 60 seconds. lol. But -- if your inconsiderate F-mates bogart the often small overhead in bulkhead rows for the personal items that is not cool. A lot of this = oblivion infrequent travelers popping the instant upgrade option upon booking and insisting on their “rights” to devour the overheads with their primary and personal carryons. I have never thrown both topside and I never will.

Last edited by AATrout; Apr 26, 2016 at 4:39 pm
Old Apr 26, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Have the physically separated lanes been removed from these gates? There are now several low A gates at DFW that have only one boarding lane now (no Priority separator). These are a real clusterf&$#.
Those are the ones I tend to get when flying out of DFW and I haven't noticed any priority lines, which I have complained about. AA said I can just cut to the front of the line at those gates but I'm not sure how the gate agent would respond.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
As it is I see plenty of people thinking that they're AAdvantage Platinum because they got approved for the Citi card.
Saw that at LAX last year- A guy was waving his Citi Plat card as he elbowed his way through to board with the *real* Platinums
Old Apr 26, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
AA said I can just cut to the front of the line at those gates but I'm not sure how the gate agent would respond.
Gate agents don't care. Other passengers get a bit irate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.