Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How does the computer assign upgraded seats? I have to change it every time!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP

Does anyone have a clue how the system assigns upgraded seats? I wish there were a way to at least put in preferences (in my case Window/Non-bulkhead). For some reason, even when half the seats are still available, the system almost always throws me either in the bulkhead or an aisle seat, or both. It is rare for me to not have to change the seat assignment (but less rare to not be able to because the upgrade filled F).

This is not a complaint, very happy to get the upgrade since my company only allows us to buy economy, but just wondering if anyone had been able to put in preferences somewhere.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Under My account>Reservation preferences>Booking preferences you will see Booking preferences, you can select Window or Aisle, but most of the time I get aisle when my preferred selection is "Window".
Old Apr 14, 2016, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
From my reading of threads over the years, I believe the computer looks at your stated preferences and assigns the seat that is closest to the opposite of your preferences as possible, usually from the back of the cabin forward (unless traveling as a couple in which case one of you will be placed at the back of the cabin and one of you at the front of the cabin).
Old Apr 14, 2016, 9:12 am

Last edited by Geauxtigers; Aug 14, 2016 at 10:18 pm
Old Apr 14, 2016, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by fedechat
Under My account>Reservation preferences>Booking preferences you will see Booking preferences, you can select Window or Aisle, but most of the time I get aisle when my preferred selection is "Window".
I have that set to Window already...my guess is that only comes into play when making a new reservation through their website?

ROFL at all the responses, they confirm my suspicions about what is really happening
Old Apr 14, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by Geauxtigers
spot on analysis. I usually get an aisle in the last row of first despite requesting a window, almost always have to change it
Same. US did this better, while not great, but it more reliably followed profile preferences when the F cabin was relatively open.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 9:52 am

My experience is that the system starts at the farthest back left/right and sequentially moves laterally, forward, laterally....infilling available seats.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
For the past four upgrades in a row, I've been assigned to 4C on the A321. And that is fine.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Clears from the back foward....as EXP I am constantly having to change my seat because I don't like the last row.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Despite always going back and changing my seat to a bulk head window the system always assigns me 6E or something similar.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 6:14 pm

Programs: Delta, HH Diamond, Marriott, AA Gold
Originally Posted by alien
My experience is that the system starts at the farthest back left/right and sequentially moves laterally, forward, laterally....infilling available seats.
That is my experience too.. .. two upgrades assigned this week and both are in the last row.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 6:36 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Despite always going back and changing my seat to a bulk head window the system always assigns me 6E or something similar.
Same here, except I want a bulkhead aisle. I usually start with 6E also, but at least its not a row starting with 7 or higher.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Apr 14, 2016 at 7:19 pm
Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Always cracks me up when my wife and I get upgraded together (which pretty much never happens anymore), and she gets 3A while I get 6F. SMDH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.