AA and QF check in at LAX

Old Apr 5, 16, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

AA and QF check in at LAX

I am traveling from PHX to SYD via LAX on 2 separate tickets both booked through AA, but the leg from LAX to SYD is operated by QF. I have plenty of time between my flights but I would rather not have to go through the long security line at the TBIT. Is there any way that I can utilize the new TBIT connector to avoid having to re-clear security, or will I be forced to go check in at the QF desk landside to get my onward boarding pass printed?
Old Apr 5, 16, 1:39 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold, UA 1K
Originally Posted by ron187 View Post
I am traveling from PHX to SYD via LAX on 2 separate tickets both booked through AA, but the leg from LAX to SYD is operated by QF. I have plenty of time between my flights but I would rather not have to go through the long security line at the TBIT. Is there any way that I can utilize the new TBIT connector to avoid having to re-clear security, or will I be forced to go check in at the QF desk landside to get my onward boarding pass printed?
You should be able to get your LAX-SYD BP and check your bags all the way through from PHX, and transfer via the connector with no problem, given that both are OW airlines. Even if you can't get your BP, take the connector and see if they can print it at one of the lounges.

Last edited by zpaul; Apr 5, 16 at 1:45 pm
Old Apr 5, 16, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by ron187 View Post
...but I would rather not have to go through the long security line at the TBIT. ...
I've never found the lines at TBIT to be long, and I've done LAX-SYD on QF. We walked right through in less than 5 minutes.
Old Apr 5, 16, 7:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by cynicAAl View Post
I've never found the lines at TBIT to be long, and I've done LAX-SYD on QF. We walked right through in less than 5 minutes.
Regardless, though, TBIT and T4, T5, and T6 are now all connected behind security. It'll be a bit of a trek but at least there'll be no line.

As mentioned earlier, I would be surprised if PHX wasn't able to check your baggage all the way through and issue your QF boarding pass.

One caveat: If you're not an elite, you will have to pay the checked baggage fees for the domestic PHX-LAX segment since it's on a separate ticket from the QF flight and (presumably) has a NIL baggage allowance.
Old Apr 8, 16, 6:06 am

I have waited upwards of 45 minutes connecting from T4 to TBIT, and I've walked right through. I would never plan for a short wait at TBIT - thet place can go downhill fast.
Old Apr 8, 16, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Originally Posted by zpaul View Post
I have waited upwards of 45 minutes connecting from T4 to TBIT, and I've walked right through. I would never plan for a short wait at TBIT - thet place can go downhill fast.
Mirrors my experience too at TBIT.At least OP won't need to be concerned with LAX on site traffic.
Old Apr 8, 16, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by zpaul View Post
I agree, I have waited in the security line for over 30 minutes numerous time. Sometimes only a few minutes.

Also I always get an AA boarding pass for the ongoing LAX-SYD leg and it always works fine either on a AA or QF booked ticket.

If you go to the QF check-in at TBIT they will always print out a QF boarding pass (in my experience) but it is not required.
Old Apr 8, 16, 4:48 pm

You haven't hit it at the wrong time. My times over the last 5 years have ranged from 5 minutes to 90 minutes.
Old Apr 8, 16, 6:13 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

People people people. If you arrive at T4-T8 and are making a connection to a TBIT flight there is no reason at all to go landside and re-clear security at TBIT. That's the old system.

The airside connector from T4 to TBIT is open and takes about 5 to 10 minutes from T41 to the QF First Lounge in TBIT.
Old Apr 8, 16, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA PPro- LT Gold, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Agree - wait times in the TBIT premium lines can be very long. They let all the wheel chair and families cut in front of the premium lines. The regular lines are long but move just as quick.

You may be able to do boarding pass in advance for QF as well.

My currently thinking - get your QF boarding pass as the QF counter in TBIT then walk back to T4 and go through T4 security.

The QF F lounge (if eligible) is at the same level as the connector. Just continue pass the down escalator after you enter TBIT via the connector, and the QF F lounge is the first thing you come to.
Old Apr 13, 16, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Great! Thanks for all the help.. planning on heading straight to the one world lounge (sadly no QF First lounge for me as I am only AA Plat.) Glad to finally be making use of the connector.
Old Apr 15, 16, 12:03 am

Programs: AA - Platinum; 1W Sapphire; HHonors Gold; UA dirt
Will TBIT security be long at that time for SYD? Usually that flight is around 11:00 pm.
Old Apr 15, 16, 11:50 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer View Post
Will TBIT security be long at that time for SYD? Usually that flight is around 11:00 pm.
Probably. Lots of heavy jumbo long hauls leave then for S Pacific and Asia.Lots of Newbies who take lots of time to process.
Old Apr 15, 16, 1:22 pm

I am connecting from AA to CX at LAX and certainly want to stay airside using the connector but I may have some issues (not ticketing) that need to be handled by an agent. Are there any CX (or for that matter QF) representatives at the Qantas First or OW Business lounges that can handle matters similar to AAngels at Admirals Clubs?
Old Apr 15, 16, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by jrussell View Post
I am connecting from AA to CX at LAX and certainly want to stay airside using the connector but I may have some issues (not ticketing) that need to be handled by an agent. Are there any CX (or for that matter QF) representatives at the Qantas First or OW Business lounges that can handle matters similar to AAngels at Admirals Clubs?
Don't know about CX, but yes for QF - the agents at the entrance have always been able to help me with most issues.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: