Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Changes / speculation about to AS partnership after April 2016 AS-VX announcement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes / speculation about to AS partnership after April 2016 AS-VX announcement

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2016, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Back to AA EXP for 2018 after 1 year on worthless Plat Pro

Did a search and did not see this specific discussion.

For heavy SFO - DFW/DAL travelers, this is of particular interest. Perhaps not unlike others here, I have been "cheating" on AA by taking a few VX hops from DAL to pretty much all direct DAL VX destinations (heaviest to SFO). Not having to deal with DFW mid-cities traffic is a big reason why.

Will I now be able to book VX/AS flights from DAL and get full AA mileage credit?

It seems to me the main "hub's" impacted re: the current codeshare and this question are SFO and DFW/DAL.

Would welcome anyone's guess here or is it no big deal and AA/AS will move along as is?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
IMHO it will take nearly a year for the financial transaction to close. It may take a year of more after that before there is a single operating certificate. Timing for a merged FF program is more speculative.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by SuperBuck27
It seems to me the main "hub's" impacted re: the current codeshare and this question are SFO and DFW/DAL.
Actually, the hub that's most impacted by this merger for both airlines is LAX; AS went from a very marginal player to threatening WN for #4, and now competing with AA with routes like LAX-IAD, LAX-HNL/OGG, LAX-BOS, LAX-ORD and LAX-JFK.

I would imagine AA wouldn't mind at all if AS relocated DFW operations to DAL. They use 1 gate at DFW; it's a spoke for AS. They'd be capped at two gates at DAL, so not really a competitive threat to DFW ever. I would think AA would be pleased at having codeshares into DAL and a way to keep a thorn in WN's side.

It will be very interesting to see how AS manages this tightrope; they're basically taking on ALL the big four in various markets as a result of this merger:

SEA: DL
SFO: UA
SJC/SAN/SNA/DAL: WN
LAX: AA, DL, UA
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by SuperBuck27
Did a search and did not see this specific discussion.

For heavy SFO - DFW/DAL travelers, this is of particular interest. Perhaps not unlike others here, I have been "cheating" on AA by taking a few VX hops from DAL to pretty much all direct DAL VX destinations (heaviest to SFO). Not having to deal with DFW mid-cities traffic is a big reason why.

Will I now be able to book VX/AS flights from DAL and get full AA mileage credit?

Would welcome anyone's guess here or is it no big deal and AA/AS will move along as is?
If by "full mileage credit" you include "0.5 EQM for B, H, M, Q, U, G, K, L, T, V and the cap of 1.5 EQM per mile flown in F? Sure! Link And north Bay / SF techies will have SFO-AUS.

When? That's another question.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by JDiver
If by "full mileage credit" you include "0.5 EQM for B, H, M, Q, U, G, K, L, T, V and the cap of 1.5 EQM per mile flown in F? Sure! Link And north Bay / SF techies will have SFO-AUS.

When? That's another question.
Let's be fair. A very large chunk of AS flights have an AA code, so you can purchase the AA coded flights and receive the normal earnings.

While its unlikely it will throw AA code on DAL flights, its not unheard of if they feel they can grab share from WN at DAL.

I think its a bigger question on how many west coast AA flyers decide to jump ship completely to AS, especially since AA gutted their program.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
The VX routes from EWR to LAX and SFO make for interesting conjecture given they are hugely important routes for UA. The AA tie-up with AS might make for better fares.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Looks like they are aiming for Q1 of 2018 to have a SOC.

So might be a bit for mileage earning.

Interesting times indeed.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Will be interesting to see this effects the AS-DL partnership. DL's move on SEA created strains, a larger AS may choose to end it, strengthen AA ties, and those with international partners.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
It's obvious that AS will sever ties with AA and DL as VX competes head to head with AA, DL, and UA on many routes.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
That is all considering if the DOJ even allows this to happen. Given their initial stance on the AA/US merger, I would be inclined to think they will have to fight hard for this to be approved.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by joepercussion1
That is all considering if the DOJ even allows this to happen. Given their initial stance on the AA/US merger, I would be inclined to think they will have to fight hard for this to be approved.
Based on what? VX doesn't have commanding market position anywhere. AS barely has 50% at SEA, and SEA is not a slot restricted airport like LGA or DCA, which is where the DOJ had concerns in past mergers. The only overlapping routes are SEA-SFO/LAX, which have active competition remaining after the merger. On what basis is there an anticompetitive concern other than vague handwaving?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by imapilotaz

I think its a bigger question on how many west coast AA flyers decide to jump ship completely to AS, especially since AA gutted their program.
You can add me to the list of DFW-LAX fliers who are thinking that AS from DAL is a lot more appealing than VX from DAL or AA from DFW now that AA devalued again.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
It's obvious that AS will sever ties with AA and DL as VX competes head to head with AA, DL, and UA on many routes.
Obvious?
1. AS/VX will remain a minor player at AA hubs, limited route overlap intra-California, most of the West Coast - one of the rationals for the deal, based on the presentation in this thread
2. pmVX premium hard product will likely be eliminated, reducing competition for AA JFK-LAX/SFO
3. It has been suggested that AS would move from DFW to DAL, creating more competition for WN
4. AS/VX will have a stronger presence in SFO, putting more pressure on UA; similar situation at SJC, pressuring WN
5. AS will still depend on partners for TATL, TPAC, South America and Caribbean, AA plays an important role
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:09 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
My only concern in all of this is the impact on the AS {SJC,SFO,OAK} > {KOA, OGG, HNL, LIH} non-stop flights. We buy AS flights and credit to AA. All other intra-west-coast AS flights typically go to AS.

Cheers.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Ummm... I'm not at all sure it's "obvious" by any stretch.

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.