Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Whiskey & Whisky Thread: Woodford Reserve Apr 2016, Glenlivet back June

Whiskey & Whisky Thread: Woodford Reserve Apr 2016, Glenlivet back June

Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA - My other choices are severely limited
"Woody" is my "go to" drink. Never had a problem at anytime being served one during PDB (and in a lot of instances 2 at one time after t/o)
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:52 pm
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
The only time I've been denied Woodford was on a mainline PDB where the FA said she didn't have any in front and could she substitute Jack Daniels for the PDB. That was fine, and I got Woodford during the regular beverage service.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
After having Woodford on its planes for a couple of years now, AA continues to stock their RJs with just a couple of bottles of Woodford and, according to more than one FA, there are four bottles on Woodford catered on mainline flights in F and only a couple more in the back. More often than not, the plane is out of Woodford once PDBs are served and before we ever push back from the gate.
Full-size bottles or minis?
Going through four full-sized bottles during PDB would be one heck of a first class party.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
... there are four bottles on Woodford catered on mainline flights in F and only a couple more in the back...
I flew in MCE a couple weeks ago and ordered Woodford. I asked the FA if she had two I would take them both to save her a trip. She laughed and said they were her only ones, but gave them to me. On the return flight I had a chance to look in the beverage cart before service began and noticed that all the liquors were fully stocked but there were only two Woodfords stuck upside down among the other minis. I had one and the guy at the window had the other.

Since there are two FAs that man the beverage cart its possible there are two for each side.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
On a recent PSA flight, several of us in the cabin introduced some of the others to Woodford, so it's definitely readily available on regional flights operated by PSA.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
On my MCO-DCA flight earlier today, they had Evan Williams bourbon in addition to Jack, Woodford, and CC. I asked to look at the rest of the liquor tray, and it appeared to be an otherwise normal AA liquor tray with the exception that only 3 Woodfords were catered. Was this an anomaly or is AA now splitting the bourbon between Woodford and EW? I believe there were 4 EW, but I am not certain of that.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, National Exec
My wife and I both drink Woodford and have taken the only two bottles several times. It seems they are not stocking many of these for some reason.

Couple of weeks ago in coach , second row into MCE on the way to Germany during first drink service she only had one on the cart so we played rock, paper scissors for it and I won but some how the wife still got the Woodford. On the way back in business they seemed to have plenty.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by ikwia
On my MCO-DCA flight earlier today, they had Evan Williams bourbon in addition to Jack, Woodford, and CC. I asked to look at the rest of the liquor tray, and it appeared to be an otherwise normal AA liquor tray with the exception that only 3 Woodfords were catered. Was this an anomaly or is AA now splitting the bourbon between Woodford and EW? I believe there were 4 EW, but I am not certain of that.
That sounds like a catering anomaly to me.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:04 am

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
That sounds like a catering anomaly to me.
I sure hope so. Evan Williams is some harsh stuff, even the 12 year (which I imagine this wasn't).
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I usually sit in the exit row mid plane and have yet to see them run out of Woodford. I got my first upgrade in a year PHX-SEA a few weeks back and they had plenty up front. On the return, I got the last two (was sitting in row 15 on a 737). So basically IF you're behind the exit row and I'm on the flight in MCE, you're likely out of luck
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I sure hope so. Evan Williams is some harsh stuff, even the 12 year (which I imagine this wasn't).
There is no reference to specific age, so surely it wasn't the 12 year. I had never tried it before, but I've got to say that it was actually quite nice MIXED with diet coke. But I tried some before mixing, and I agree, it's a bit harsh.

I tend to agree it was a catering mistake, but I am curious -- what airline serves this normally that they had it in stock?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
There is no reference to specific age, so surely it wasn't the 12 year. I had never tried it before, but I've got to say that it was actually quite nice MIXED with diet coke. But I tried some before mixing, and I agree, it's a bit harsh.

I tend to agree it was a catering mistake, but I am curious -- what airline serves this normally that they had it in stock?
Yeah I'd agree with it being good mixed, same with other (what I consider) peer bourbons like Heaven Hill or Jim Beam, wouldn't drink them straight but just fine with some coke or dr. pepper. Better than cheapos like Early Times, but a notch below rails like Old Forester. Many notches below Woodford. (Fly to Louisville every week for long enough, and eventually you'll try all the bourbons.)

I can't think of any airline that normally serves it. I wonder whether it was an error from whatever warehouse stocks the minis that get sent via distributors... (assuming that's how it works)? I checked the LCCs but Spirit has Buffalo Trace, Frontier has Breckenridge (CO), and Allegiant has no bourbon (but has Jack).
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:26 pm

Glad to see another DrP and bourbon/whiskey fan! A great combo (although diet DrP for me).

I couldn't find anyone else who serves EW. Looking at the bottle, it doesn't have a "for airline use only" note. So this may be a mistake starting way back at some warehouse.
​​​​​​
p.s. it's sort of amusing UA and NK both have Buffalo Trace
platbrownguy likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Glad to see another DrP and bourbon/whiskey fan! A great combo (although diet DrP for me).
This sounds interesting, indeed! Looking forward to trying it on my next flight.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by brewdog11
This sounds interesting, indeed! Looking forward to trying it on my next flight.
Don't be afraid to try it with Woodford either. "Double woodford & diet Dr." should get the ratios right. (A little more than a splash, depending on ice fill level.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.