Downgrade due to IROPS PVG-ORD

Old Mar 26, 16, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Downgrade due to IROPS PVG-ORD

I have just been informed by my wife that her flight from Shanghai to Chicago flying tomorrow has been cancelled and she has been booked by AA in coach to DFW and then onwards to PHL. Her tickets were in Business and I guess there were no business seats available when todays flight to Shanghai got cancelled. Can she get her miles based on a business class flight even though she got back in coach in view of the fact that her ticket was in Business class or does it not matter as the mileage acquired is the same? Thank you in advance for any input. I was intending for her to fly directly to JFK by Delta in Business to avoid a long travel time in coach though she did not want to spend 2800 USD additional for this ticket.
Old Mar 26, 16, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you ask about being reaccomodated on Cathay? I'd be pushing-- hard-- for that.
Old Mar 26, 16, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately it is early morning in PVG and Tripitpro did not have Cathay as a suggestion. I do not know if I can call on her behalf as I have lots of day time to try and fix things. She is on call from Monday onwards and a 14 hour coach ride would be a bit harsh. Anyway live and learn and leave more leeway next time. Thanks for your response.
Old Mar 26, 16, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Provided you have the same last name, 99% of the time agents will help you out when you explain what's going on. Never hurts to give it a try.
Old Mar 26, 16, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAExpDFW View Post
Provided you have the same last name, 99% of the time agents will help you out when you explain what's going on. Never hurts to give it a try.
Agree 100%. Very worth a try, IMO. Not to mention that a refund is due, etc.
Old Mar 26, 16, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

I tried. An extremely personable agent on the platinum desk tried her best for 15 minutes and That is above and beyond. There was no resolution. But I am impressed. 14 hours in coach is not a novelty, right. If that Delta ticket is still on and she agrees in a couple of hours I will give it a shot. Yes, picking up somebody from PHL is preferable to JFK. You cannot have it all. Thank you both.
Old Mar 26, 16, 6:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To answer the original question, she should make a request for Original Routing Credit based on the downgrade. Your wife is also due a refund of the fare difference to the original form of payment and AA will typically provide some form of customer service gesture.

As to the broader issue, it always pays to travel with alternative routings in hand. Not just for downgrades, but just because IRROPS do happen. AA will routinely rebook for the next available AA service, but if you put up a fuss on the spot, with a line behind you and have a specific proposal, especially on another OW carrier, it is much easier for the agent to simply make that happen.

In this specific case, one more thing to try would have been for your wife to try this locally. Airport agents can sometimes make things happen which phone agents can't. When the phone agent could not make it happen for you, unless there simply was no availability on CX, it simply meant that they lacked the authority and could only push so hard. When you are standing there blocking the line, things can happen.
Old Mar 26, 16, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Did you ask about being reaccomodated on Cathay? I'd be pushing-- hard-- for that.
CX is not the only oneworld option from PVG back to the U.S. Other airlines might have longer routings, but I would gladly take a longer routing in Business than 14 hours in Coach.

And both BA and QR would offer single connection routings back to PHL -- but I have no idea what the timings are like.
Old Mar 26, 16, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

CX is not the only oneworld option from PVG back to the U.S. Other airlines might have longer routings, but I would gladly take a longer routing in Business than 14 hours in Coach.

And both BA and QR would offer single connection routings back to PHL -- but I have no idea what the timings are like.
Not sure if they would allow BA or QR Asia to US, but they should definitely be able to change to JL and CX. I'd say, accept nothing lead than being changed to CX J, JL J, AA J or a mix of the three. There's also PVG to LAX then to PHL, which, if your schedule allows, I can near guarantee you that they can put you on that route.
Old Mar 26, 16, 7:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Options should include

AA via LAX

KA to HKG and onward on AA or CX

JL via NRT or HND? and onward on AA or JL

AA ad DL do not have an agreement in place for IROPS / OSO, so no help there other than buying a fare.
Old Mar 26, 16, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Her flight from Changsha to PVG is currently late by at least one hour and seems to be still on the tarmac. I will ask her to politely ask at the desk as to the possibility of any seats having opened up or any alternative I can dredge up in the next hour or 2. TRIPIT pro indicated extremely limited or no availability in Business on other AA flights and she does need to be at work in the Hospital at 7 AM on Monday. I thank you all kindly for giving us ideas which we will be sure to keep in mind the next time.
Old Mar 26, 16, 9:39 pm

I am on AA 182 from PVG to LAX today - in 6 hours. There is business availability. Call on her behalf and have her put on this flight asap.

Don't let her wait until she arrives in PVG.
Old Mar 26, 16, 10:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Currently 3 seats available in J on AA182 from PVG to LAX, but the 1:40 PM arrival into LAX means no onward connecting opportunities to PHL until the evening, so about an 8-hour layover at least. The 9:55 PM flight AA650 from LAX to PHL arriving at 6:40 AM the next morning is sold out in F but has Y available.
Old Mar 26, 16, 10:19 pm

Edit::

AA 182 is delayed for 8 hours -- I just online checked in and saw the delay.

Last edited by nyczreklis; Mar 26, 16 at 10:29 pm
Old Mar 26, 16, 10:22 pm
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango View Post
Currently 3 seats available in J on AA182 from PVG to LAX, but the 1:40 PM arrival into LAX means no onward connecting opportunities to PHL until the evening, so about an 8-hour layover at least. The 9:55 PM flight AA650 from LAX to PHL arriving at 6:40 AM the next morning is sold out in F but has Y available.
This path is very messy too (any LAX-related possible alternatives), the OP is left with two bad choices.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: