Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Charity Donation / Contribution: Miles, Award, Upgrade; Earning Miles

Charity Donation / Contribution: Miles, Award, Upgrade; Earning Miles

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 25, 16, 6:39 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Donating Miles, Awards or Upgrades to Charity;
Earning Miles for Charitable Monetary Donations

Donation / Contribution of Miles, Awards and SWU

Currently, you can donate miles to charities of American's choice: Miles For Kids In Need, Miles of Hope and Miles for All Who Serve programs. link.

Mile Donations Terms and Conditions:

• Minimum donation of 1,000 miles required. Members who have an available balance of less than 1,000 miles may donate their entire balance. Your donation is not tax deductible. Processing can take up to 48 hours.

• American Airlines reserves the right to determine the final use of miles within the guidelines of the Miles For Kids In Need, Miles of Hope and Miles for All Who Serve programs.
You can donate travel (and SWU or miles plus copay for upgrades) by using your miles to donate travel to individuals (including those working or volunteering for charities. These awards and SWU will conform to all terms and conditions governing normal awards or SWU use. (These are not tax deductible.)

Prohibitions: You can not "donate" travel awards for use in draws, contests, auctions, etc. even if sponsored by charities.

What is Miles for Kids In Need?
A: Through the Miles For Kids In Need program, you can donate your AAdvantage miles to help American Airlines provide free transportation for seriously ill children and their families. With your donation you can assist children from all over the world who are in need of urgent medical attention.

Q: Can I donate my miles for a specific child to fly?
A: Miles donated to Miles for Kids may not be designated for use by a specific child. However, if you know of a child in need and have sufficient miles you can claim an award from your AAdvantage account for a specific child. If you would like to know more about the guidelines for a child to receive benefits from Miles for Kids In Need, call 1-800-882-8880 in the U.S. and Canada or email [email protected].

Q: How can I donate to Miles for Kids in Need?
A: Online mileage donations are accepted at AA.com. Select "AAdvantage", then "Redeem Miles", then "Donate Miles", and select " Miles for Kids Miles in Need ". Then simply select the "Donate" button.

Q: Can I donate my miles to other charities?
A: In addition to Miles for Kids, you can donate miles to the Operation Hero Miles. Select "AAdvantage", then "Redeem Miles", then "Donate Miles", and select " Operation Hero Miles ". Then simply follow the instructions.

Q: Can I donate anything other than miles to Miles for Kids In Need?
A: We can only accept miles as donations.

Q: Can I claim the donation on my income tax return?
A: No. Donations to Miles for Kids In Need are not tax-deductible. Link.
Earning AA miles for charitable contributions

Currently you may donate money to the AA "Miles for the Cure" program (via the Susan G. Foundation) and earn miles.

"Americans Miles for the Cure program raises funds to support a study of inflammatory breast cancer (the most lethal form of the disease) through a research grant at the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. Miles for the Cure awards customers AAdvantage miles for every dollar they contribute to the research grant through Susan G. Komen."

Miles for the Cure Terms and Conditions:

• Offer valid on contributions made online at www.komen.org/aa.
  • Minimum $25 donation required.
  • Mileage cap for a 12-month period is 600,000. Bonus miles do not count toward elite-status qualification.
  • Please allow up to eight weeks for the bonus miles to be posted to your account. Donations can only be accepted in U.S. dollars. All gifts are welcome; however, miles will only be earned for donations of at least $25. Miles for the Cure is a mark of Susan G. Komen.
as well as to the Susan G. Komen foundation and the National Foundation Research (10 miles per dollar donated). Link

AA occasionally partners with other charities to offer miles for contributions.

AA is also involved in other community support endeavors; some may allow miles donation.

Community link

Kids link

Military and veterans link
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 25, 16, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Pl (2 m miler) AA, UA, Marriott Pl Life, Hilton Diamond Life, SPG Gold Life, IHG Spire Ambassador
Miles Donation to Charity

Can I donate Miles to a charity of my choice. Is there a cost?

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 25, 16 at 12:18 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Mar 25, 16, 10:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by BWItravelerman View Post
Can I donate Miles to a charity of my choice. Is there a cost?
No, though you can donate miles to AA approved charities. No, there is no cost to do so.

As there is not a current thread, this will become the master thread. Please see the wikipost at the top of the page for more information about charities and donating miles (or awards, upgrades).

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 25, 16 at 11:27 am
Old Mar 25, 16, 10:59 am

Programs: AA EXP
You can donate miles to a handful of charities. Do a Google search for "AA donate miles."

Search this Thread