Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: General questions re aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: General questions re aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ijgordon
In theory they can be just angled differently (e.g., slightly more forward-facing on the narrower aircraft), although that probably has some knock-on effects on things like the shape of the footwell and the size of the console/shelf. Not sure if the bed length is any different, although I think that varies by seat, especially on the Zodiac. I don't think I've heard much griping about the 772 Zodiac vs. 788 or 772 SuperDiamond vs 789, so maybe the 772 version gets a slight edge?
Thinking back to my trips on the 772, I can't say I remember any difference between the 772 SuperDiamond vs 789 J or between 772 Zodiac vs 788 J.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
In theory they can be just angled differently (e.g., slightly more forward-facing on the narrower aircraft), although that probably has some knock-on effects on things like the shape of the footwell and the size of the console/shelf. Not sure if the bed length is any different, although I think that varies by seat, especially on the Zodiac. I don't think I've heard much griping about the 772 Zodiac vs. 788 or 772 SuperDiamond vs 789, so maybe the 772 version gets a slight edge?

Im not sure, really. I have not flown the 788 yet, but have the 789. Theres a slight difference, but not much that I remember specifically. Nothing that stands out anyway, so probably isnt that different unless youre in them quite frequently.

I would think if that is the case then it would come down to the plane itself, and not just the seat. In that case I may be inclined to give the 788/9 a very slight edge because of the cabin pressure/humidity/etc. But its all nit picking really as the vast majority of the longhaul fleet is quite good in J. The 763s could be better, but AA is not the only one with that situation.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fair point on other aspects of the equipment. I've actually never made it onto any 787 yet for some reason, but I suppose the pressure/humidity is a selling point. OTOH, I seem to remember there were some issues on AA's 788 (I think) about FA staffing in J, or the galley setup that made service more difficult, so that could factor in as well.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
My updated but still very subjective ranking of AA international premium seats due to input from thunderlounge and Ids89.

77W F > 77W J ~ 789 J ~ 772 SuperDiamond > 788 J ~ 772 Zodiac > 332 J > 763 J
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, UA LT Gold, Hertz PC, 5 MM+ miles
DFW to EZE (Buenos Aires)

Anyone know which version of the 777-200 is being used between DFW and Buenos Aires? I'll be connecting from the West Coast and trips aren't until November, so obviously the equipment can change. But what are they currently flying since it's no longer easy to tell V1 from V2 on seat maps.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
It could be either. All 772s are being updated to have 37J, although some with have the front-back Zodiac seats and some the BE Super Diamond ones. In addition all will be getting Premium Economy and are going 3-4-3 in MCE and Economy.

So they should be reasonably interchangeable.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
I was on this flight last Monday
The 772 I was on had Premium Economy
All J seats faced forward.
I don't know if that is v1 or v2.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, UA LT Gold, Hertz PC, 5 MM+ miles
Very helpful. I'm in J. With all seats facing forward sounds like V2. Hopefully all the 777-200s eventually will be configured the same and without the problem in some earlier versions of most J seats being connected to another and thus disturbing the passenger in the connected seat.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior200
Very helpful. I'm in J. With all seats facing forward sounds like V2.Hopefully all the 777-200s eventually will be configured the same and without the problem in some earlier versions of most J seats being connected to another and thus disturbing the passenger in the connected seat.

I wouldn't count on it for a while...
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior200
Very helpful. I'm in J. With all seats facing forward sounds like V2. Hopefully all the 777-200s eventually will be configured the same and without the problem in some earlier versions of most J seats being connected to another and thus disturbing the passenger in the connected seat.
Nope, not going to happen. But there is a fix planned for the motion over the ocean; it just is taking a lot of time, and must be approved and issued an STC by the FAA.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by JDiver
Nope, not going to happen. But there is a fix planned for the motion over the ocean; it just is taking a lot of time, and must be approved and issued an STC by the FAA.
A fix for something that's in reality a non issue. But I guess a "fix" nonetheless.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 12:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
A fix for something that's in reality a non issue. But I guess a "fix" nonetheless.
I think a number of members and bloggers have reported the motion induced by the other passenger sharing seatbpairs joined at the head has indeed been an issue, at least for them, in the Zodiac seats.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:35 am

Since the A330-300 is sticking around at the moment with the shift away from A350s with a "retire" date of 2020ish is AA going to refresh these now?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by BarrenLucidity
Since the A330-300 is sticking around at the moment with the shift away from A350s with a "retire" date of 2020ish is AA going to refresh these now?
I certainly hope not as the only thing left to "refresh" would be figuring out how to cram more seats in the Y cabin. The 330s are some of the few remaining holdovers from the "good ole times" with decent seat width and pitch throughout given today's new/awful standards.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
I have a domestic flight on a 788 and 772 and I'm in first, I am guessing they only provide headphones on international first yea? If so, will any normal headphones work?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.