Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Awards Deals Made / Miles Spent etc. Prior to 22 Mar Devaluation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2016, 12:01 am
jmw

I've always wanted to bring a bigger group of mostly our closest friends to C3 rather than a pure family reunion (many firstimers to C3 or anywhere outside of the US), and I booked it just before the devaluation.

Some are not in the best of health, so I wanted to give them a comfortable experience on Cathay. 5x J C1(various)-C3(open jaw)-C1. A few more will come in Y, which is fine given the super cheap fares to C3. Going to look for large airbnb apartments or condos. We are going to party! I much rather spend the miles this way and have a great time with friends than ride Etihad Apartment. This type of trip would not be possible without AA, Citibank, Amex Serve, and Walmart.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:10 am

Where was I? Sleeping. Now that you guys have burned all of your AA miles, I'll hopefully be able to use mine on some decent routings instead of having to pick through meager scraps of award availability left over from everyone making a run on them.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 9:11 am

I finished most of my pre-deval bookings 1-2 months ago, and yesterday night made one final booking, which ticketed in a couple of hours after booking the ticket with an AA agent over the phone.
I got rid of a little more than 300K AA miles in total.

Some highlights (domestic US segments are excluded):
1) AUH-MEL EY F 60K
2) SYD-DFW QF F 72.5K
3) HKG-LAX CX F 67.5K
4) MAD-ORD IB J 50K
5) ORD-NRT JL F 62.5K
Old Mar 22, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by CDKing
waiting for my EY ticket to ........ Ticket. Then setting reminders to watch fro Apartments space to open up so i can switch times.
Mine has been on request for a while... maybe time to call them back and harass them to get it done.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
RIP awards ex-Venezuela to NA & viceversa.

I left my 3 family accounts with less than 1500 miles. Been booking awards since last year. I snatched some CCS-Canada Business SAAvers awards at last minute and that was my last blow. I issued them last Monday and the next day, on Tuesday i was informed by an AA employee that a new policy entered in effect in Caracas that taxes & fees would be charged in dollars instead of Bolivares. So i was saved by the bell, had i come to pay the taxes the day after i did, i would have no play.

The long days of redeeming award travel from my country Venezuela are long gone. If i continue racking up AA miles, these will go to any worthwhile award ex-USA , but not from my country.

I think i will move myself altogether from this Maduro's Red pastures.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Nothing. I have something like 13k AA miles saved up (I last used some to go Europe->USA with my kid, I probably accumulate 5-10k miles a year). So I guess the 40k AUH-LHR trip in EY F Apartments isn't an option any more (wipes tear)... but to be honest, I wasn't really finding Abu Dhabi a particularly compelling place to go on my list.

Oh, and so far (knocks wood) AS hasn't been devalued. Yet.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
I used 67,500 on a sAAver award for DCA-DFW-SYD, then MEL-LAX-DCA. Pretty solid deal imo. Qantas Y for DFW-SYD and MEL-LAX, then AA DCA-DFW and AS LAX-DCA. All in coach, but whatever. I'd rather save my miles and go more places.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
i had almost 1million miles but already spent quite a bit last year in anticipation for this devaluation, and i just spent ~80% of what i had left, only 115k left which i will keep for rainy days... But here's what i got:

JAL Business to US-NRT 50k
AA First NRT-US 62.5k
RJ Business US-AMM 67.5k
RJ Business/EY First AMM-AUH-US 90k
CX First US-HKG-TPE 67.5k
CX Business TPE-HKG-MEL 35k
LAN Business/QF First AKL-SYD-US 72.5k

Total spent: 445k.. :\ i will miss flying just for the sake of getting EQM and RDM..
Old Mar 22, 2016, 12:02 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

seems biggest problem for me is changing award for perfect trip. I have a long time but would like to finalize. I can find space to us but never can get to Chicago. aa doesn't seem to release any awards at 330 day area.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 12:06 pm

2x DCA-JFK-HKG-MNL J TPAC seats @ 67.5
2x HKG-NRT J @ 30
2x NRT-ORD-DCA F/J @ 62.5/50

307.5k all in all. Finished booking over a week ago, while it was stressful, it would have been way worse trying to do it the last few days. Taking my mom to HK for CNY, we'll also be in Japan during Setsubun.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 12:47 pm
Mul

3 US to Japan business award one way
1 US to Singapore ; originally in economy, but found the space opened up in business for the same day and booked it right away on Sunday; got lucky I guess.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
2x F JAL/CX to Asia 2 @ 67.5 Nov
2x F EU-India @ 40 July
2x C India-EU @ 30 July
2X F ME-USA EY @ 90 Nov
2x F US to Asia 2 (hoping for CX to eventually open) @ 67.5 Feb
2x F Asia 2 to US (same with CX...) @ 67.5 Feb

For a total of 725k.

I could actually envision myself tolerating the increased redemption levels if they didn't touch the accrual levels. Sadly, once that happens my loyalty transitions to whomever has the cheapest C fares.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Several weeks ago got:

YEG-PHX-LAS-LAX-MEL-SYD-CNS in QF Business and a return of SYD-DFW-ORD-LGA in QF First Very happy to empty my 135,000 miles on such a sweet redemption next December
Old Mar 22, 2016, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Thumbs down award seat hoarders

It looks like a lot of you booked the JL F/J awards as placeholders hoping to switch to CX F/J later. That's why for those of us who actually wanted to fly on JL couldn't find anything.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by susiesan
It looks like a lot of you booked the JL F/J awards as placeholders hoping to switch to CX F/J later. That's why for those of us who actually wanted to fly on JL couldn't find anything.
Don't stress, a vengeful god will even it all out down the line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.