Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

No AA travel since Wright Amendment lifted, ahhh an new life

Old Mar 20, 2016, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Ok I know to much about air travel. Yes, I am mainly a business traveler so tourist may not find my comments of interest. I love Southwest. I love the business model of 'fast turns' and small airports (ie Love vs DFW, Midway vc OHair, etc.) . I love 'choose your own seat,' since passengers get on and get a seat vs. blocking the isle as they settle into their uncontested seat. But most of all I love the very low stress level compared to American Airlines particularly. As bad as it sounds AA has hardened me over 15 years of seeing their ugly side. However, during the same 15 years, i rarely 'could ' fly Southwest due to the Wright Amendment at Love field, but when I did fly Southwest, I always had a pleasant experience. Note, Southwest is not without flaws, but let me compare. In KC I was going thru security when a Southwest FA cut in front of me, obviously she was in a hurry. When I went to the checkin desk for Southwest, the agent said, ' I noticed the FA cut in front of you.' I said 'no big deal, she has to get on the plane before me .' The southwest agent gave me a ' $50 discount coupon for my next flight and said 'she should not have cut in front of you, we apolgize.' On the other hand, I have NEVER seen AA do anything of that nature. Unfortunately, I have seen AA agents use the cart to 'knock your knee caps off' and go on smiling. After 15 years, that one I can't figure out? And to this day I envision how awful and mean an AA agent at LGA was to a passenger. The passenger literally broke out in tears, that was an awful memory that has hardened me to 'AA life.' AA also has a 'suck on your knee caps' approach for seating, while with Southwest you get a nice wide leather seat. A businessman or business woman can actually use their laptop and get work done.

Note, since the Wright Amendment was lifted, I have given up my AA E Platinum status and only flown Southwest Airlines. And when my Uber driver says, ' Is you flight today business or pleasure? ' I can answer, 'with southwest, its always a pleasure.'
Old Mar 20, 2016, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I agree SWA is a great company. I was A-List Preferred for several years. SWA just makes you feel like they're "on your side" while AA is a system designed to milk you.

I had a recent experience with IRROPS in Dallas, and ended up cancelling both AA and SWA tickets trying to get home. The difference in customer service between the two airlines was huge: AA tried to refuse my refund even though there were 3+ hour hold times on phone, while SWA refunded my money gladly even though I was a no show.

But, I'm guessing your flight are generally 3 hrs or less? My flights are regularly 4+ hours, and there is a big difference with F. Long flights also make Lounge access more valuable. The biggest perk on SWA = Companion Pass doesn't do me any good while in the battlefield. Finally, being able to redeem miles for international awards has really raised vacations to the next level.

So, while I'd vote for SWA in a presidential race, the perks with AAdvantage tip the scales too much.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by biztraveler2007
Ok I know to much about air travel. Yes, I am mainly a business traveler so tourist may not find my comments of interest. I love Southwest. I love the business model of 'fast turns' and small airports (ie Love vs DFW, Midway vc OHair, etc.) . I love 'choose your own seat,' since passengers get on and get a seat vs. blocking the isle as they settle into their uncontested seat. But most of all I love the very low stress level compared to American Airlines particularly. As bad as it sounds AA has hardened me over 15 years of seeing their ugly side. However, during the same 15 years, i rarely 'could ' fly Southwest due to the Wright Amendment at Love field, but when I did fly Southwest, I always had a pleasant experience. Note, Southwest is not without flaws, but let me compare. In KC I was going thru security when a Southwest FA cut in front of me, obviously she was in a hurry. When I went to the checkin desk for Southwest, the agent said, ' I noticed the FA cut in front of you.' I said 'no big deal, she has to get on the plane before me .' The southwest agent gave me a ' $50 discount coupon for my next flight and said 'she should not have cut in front of you, we apolgize.' On the other hand, I have NEVER seen AA do anything of that nature. Unfortunately, I have seen AA agents use the cart to 'knock your knee caps off' and go on smiling. After 15 years, that one I can't figure out? And to this day I envision how awful and mean an AA agent at LGA was to a passenger. The passenger literally broke out in tears, that was an awful memory that has hardened me to 'AA life.' AA also has a 'suck on your knee caps' approach for seating, while with Southwest you get a nice wide leather seat. A businessman or business woman can actually use their laptop and get work done.

Note, since the Wright Amendment was lifted, I have given up my AA E Platinum status and only flown Southwest Airlines. And when my Uber driver says, ' Is you flight today business or pleasure? ' I can answer, 'with southwest, its always a pleasure.'
Its nice that there are multiple airlines with various service standard and route maps and you've found one that caters best to your needs.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
And when my Uber driver says, ' Is you flight today business or pleasure? ' I can answer, 'with southwest, its always a pleasure.'
Sounds like you could get a job in the Southwest marketing department.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
biztraveler2007, reading your post makes me feel kind of stupid for continuing to fly on AA, and not moving all of my flying to Southwest, where "flying is always a pleasure."
Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
AA also has a 'suck on your knee caps' approach for seating, while with Southwest you get a nice wide leather seat. A businessman or business woman can actually use their laptop and get work done.
Every time I fly Southwest, their seats have the same width as AA. And Southwest also has 'suck on your knee caps' seats too. At least AA has extra legroom seats. But, as we all know here: never let facts get in the way of perceptions
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Every time I've flown on WN, it's been fine. They're quick, the seats aren't any more uncomfortable than the legacy carriers, no regionals and the staff all have a casual attitude trying to make the best of their day. It reminds me of the old PSA when I was a kid.

But I just can't escape the handcuffs of elite status. I have about $500 in WN gift cards and have been tempted to use them on many occasions, but I always think, "I don't earn EQMs with those flights" and then opt for AA.

Someday I'll see the light and do what's more logical.

On another note, I always found it ironic that WN was one of the carriers in the 70's that demonstrated to Washington deregulation can work great and then when deregulation happened, they were the main carrier artificially singled out by the Wright Amendment from fully taking advantage of it. AA through their lobbyists and patsy in Congress (Wright) temporarily won out. Now that it's been lifted, flyers like the OP did what AA was afraid they would do.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
For Dallas-based flyers, it's even more of a pleasure flying Virgin America!

I cannot fathom why anyone would pay for AA F over VX F in the markets where both fly nonstop.

No amount of EQMs/RDMs will get me to fly AA if I can fly VX for the same fare or a slight premium.

WN out of DAL doesn't work for me since I like F on flights over a couple hours but on short hops to former Wright Amendment markets I similarly don't understand why someone would subject themselves to AA.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:31 pm

Yep same here. Ever since dropping to PLAT from EXPLAT after 20 AA years and 4 MM, I have gone WN as the coach experience, boarding, DAL-HOU-MDW experience, frequency and employees are just so much better. I got tired of paying full fare tickets only to end up in a middle coach seat on AA for next day flights. Add 20 minutes from Home to gate at Love in the morning you just can't beat that.

Truely, AA Eagle/Mesa and banked hub mess has driven me away from AA as well. I have yet to have to wait 30 minutes for a gate at Love.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
If I *COULD* fly WN out of HSV, I would, in a New York minute, with 58 New York seconds to spare.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:13 am

If you read the OP's post history, this is like the least surprising thread EVER.

That said, everybody's gotta do what works for them.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:50 am
Original Member

Programs: SW A List Preferred, Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Austin787
Every time I fly Southwest, their seats have the same width as AA. And Southwest also has 'suck on your knee caps' seats too. At least AA has extra legroom seats. But, as we all know here: never let facts get in the way of perceptions

Compare sitting in an AA 737 exit row to a SW 737 exit row. SW was wise enough not to put the tray table in the armrest. AA seat width in that row is miserable.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE

OP has found an airline that works for them... wonderful.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP
I have flown AA since 2002, been at least gold since 2009, in my experience its always a pleasure with AA 99% of the time.. The 1% when i get inconvenience, like IRROPS or snag like delays or cancellation, AA always took care of me unlike my 1 and only experience with Southwest.. the first time i flown Southwest in 2013, it was the worst experience ever.. We got diverted (my first ever to get diverted anywhere), we got stuck in tarmac for at least 1 hour coz they told us to wait for refueling bla bla bla, deboarded us after all that wait, make us wait another 2hours, cancelled our flight and did not book us till the next day... No apologies, not even a goodwill gesture (AA never fail to give me a 5000miles gesture throw my way for this kind of inconvenience)... 5000miles might be nothing, but its better than nothing given by Southwest.. Plus i am 100% upgraded this year, ~93% last year, if i fly with Southwest i would be in the back every time i fly, no thanks, i'd take my chances with the upgrades even if it gets harder to get... my point is, to each their own, personally I am glad i have not fly Southwest again, hopefully ever..
Old Mar 22, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador

Southwest is a third world airline. Plenty of bad products have nice people selling them. It's called marketing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.