Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HOLD ticket changed 1 Apr 2016 - 24 hr cancellation (but, read...)

Old Mar 22, 2016, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
ARCHIVE: AA Eliminates 24 Hour HOLD 1 Apr 2016
As of 1 Apr 2016: 24 hour free cancellation,
except bookings purchased within seven days of travel.
NOTE: Hold and 24 hour cancelation online can be used currently until it is terminated.

See current thread: Free 24 hr Hold on AA.com Now Only Offered Randomly 3 Nov 2016

Bookings made now state:

"You have 24 hours to cancel your trip for a full refund if you booked at least 7 days prior to departure. (Link to) Refunds policy."
Getting a reservation refunded is a two-step process. First cancel the reservation on aa.com or by calling Reservations, then second request the refund at http://prefunds.aa.com.

For bookings made online, AA may continue to offer hold for unspecified interim going forward, but 24 hours hold via telephone booking may no longer granted by agents (though occasional ones might anyway).

update July 2016

AA will follow USDOT requirements to the letter, not the industry standards:
● 24 hour cancellation with refund and no penalty, though

● No free 24-hour cancellations for purchases within seven days of flying
(except on refundable fares)

● 24 hour hold dropped for telephone bookings 1 April - but per a post here, will continue to be available for an undetermined interim period of time

● 24 hour hold will be offered for online bookings for an undetermined interim period of time

● during this period both free 24 hour hold and 24 hour no fee cancellation will be possible

● Extended hold for pay will still be offered online on many bookings (not within seven days)

● The five day holds for awards, and 24 hours within fifteen days of travel (all awards by non-elites also incur a $75 close in processing fee) remain unaffected
Gary Leff, From the Boarding Area, 31 Mar 2016: (link) American spokesperson Joshua Freed confirmed to me today:

● They are making the change
● It does go into effect tomorrow, April 1 after all.

Washington Post article about this: link.

Previous, obsolete thread: ARCHIVE: AA 24 Hour Cancellation Policy: Offer 24 Hour Hold (obsolete)

Prior statement 20 March 2016: "There is not a final decision on this. Moving to refunds instead of a hold policy is something we are looking at, but it has not been decided.

There are some issues and implications we need to sort through before we do anything – which may be nothing at all.

There are some emails and meetings about all of this, and it looks like someone was eager to share the news.

If something officially changes, we will let customers know in advance. Nothing has been decided as I write this at 7:32am on Monday.
"

- Gary Leff, View from the wing Link
Don't forget to look at other venues for tickets, such as OTAs, if purchasing within the 7 day window and you would like some hedging protection. Expedia offers 24 hour cancellation on AA itineraries within the 7 day window and many AA itineraries can be held via Expedia Trip Lock (which charges a small fee to hold a fare for 48 hours).
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HOLD ticket changed 1 Apr 2016 - 24 hr cancellation (but, read...)

Old Mar 19, 2016, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Arrow ARCHIVE: HOLD ticket changed 1 Apr 2016 - 24 hr cancellation (but, read...)

I created a reservation for 2 months out this evening and at the end it did not offer to put it on hold, only purchase it. Called EXP line and asked agent to create it and put it on hold, and she did. In the process she also commented that as of April 1, 2016 there would be no more putting tickets on hold, but the ticket must be purchased and there would be a 24 hour period during which the ticket could be cancelled and refunded. She was quite clear on this and explained the cancel/refund procedure to me in detail.

This is the first I have heard of this. I know this is common with other airlines but I must say I much preferred the old 24 hour hold system.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 11:06 pm

This would be unfortunate if true...

Didn't AA just recently test extended, multi-day holds though?
Old Mar 19, 2016, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by nautikal
This would be unfortunate if true...

Yes, in fact the agent offered the extended holds to me this evening, which I declined.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Still able to do a hold for a flight in June. Not sure how much credibility I would put in this agent's information....also including the development of multi-day holds I am doubting the elimination of holds all together.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 11:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Perhaps it's only the free holds that are being eliminated with a move to either all-paid holds or full refunds within 24 hours of purchase.

I haven't heard anything regarding holds going away and certainly hope it isn't true.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 1:01 am

Programs: AA EXP
Hold isn't showing up as an option for my flights for Thursday and the following Monday...
Old Mar 20, 2016, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
Hold isn't showing up as an option for my flights for Thursday and the following Monday...
I believe they are not available for flights departing in less than a week.

Just yesterday (Saturday) I was able to put a hold on a reservation for a family member departing the end of April and returning the beginning of June- including flights on BA with AA flight numbers.

Certainly hope the hold doesn't disappear- the whole cancel/refund process is really a pain in the rear.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 1:24 am

Maybe it was an early April fools joke?

Can't imagine AA would get rid of the hold feature.

In my experience, I've seen the hold feature not offered for 1) international itineraries that include a leg on a partner operated/marketed flight and 2) any itinerary with a departure date is within one week of the current date.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Look at all the posts in this forum when people were expecting a refund to be available with 24 hours of purchase (the DOT-approved alternative to a hold, and the way DL and UA do it). It's not unimaginable AA would change policy to eliminate that point of friction. (Whether holds or 24-hr refunds is better hypothetically is a question I won't tackle.)
Old Mar 20, 2016, 6:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
Perhaps it's only the free holds that are being eliminated with a move to either all-paid holds or full refunds within 24 hours of purchase.

I haven't heard anything regarding holds going away and certainly hope it isn't true.
That would be my guess as well.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I will be really disappointed if this is due to AA caving to the clown who keeps writing blogs about how he's too dumb to read and thus the hold policy vs 24 hour cancellation is "deceptive". though I suppose if we do end up where its 24 hr free cancelation with an option to pay for longer holds that would be nice.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 6:49 am
Suspended

Someone also asked me about this on Twitter-- so agents (some, anyway) clearly -have- been telling members this-- and when I asked I got a very vague non-denial. SO, if I -had- to guess, I'd say that there is some kind of change in hold policy coming very soon.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Hopefully this will not effect award holds.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 7:22 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by nautikal
What's that process?
Old Mar 20, 2016, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
What's that process?
You pay a small fee (I think $5-$11 pp) for a 3-7 day hold.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/hold_mktpg.jsp

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.