Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HOLD ticket changed 1 Apr 2016 - 24 hr cancellation (but, read...)

Old Mar 22, 2016, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
ARCHIVE: AA Eliminates 24 Hour HOLD 1 Apr 2016
As of 1 Apr 2016: 24 hour free cancellation,
except bookings purchased within seven days of travel.
NOTE: Hold and 24 hour cancelation online can be used currently until it is terminated.

See current thread: Free 24 hr Hold on AA.com Now Only Offered Randomly 3 Nov 2016

Bookings made now state:

"You have 24 hours to cancel your trip for a full refund if you booked at least 7 days prior to departure. (Link to) Refunds policy."
Getting a reservation refunded is a two-step process. First cancel the reservation on aa.com or by calling Reservations, then second request the refund at http://prefunds.aa.com.

For bookings made online, AA may continue to offer hold for unspecified interim going forward, but 24 hours hold via telephone booking may no longer granted by agents (though occasional ones might anyway).

update July 2016

AA will follow USDOT requirements to the letter, not the industry standards:
● 24 hour cancellation with refund and no penalty, though

● No free 24-hour cancellations for purchases within seven days of flying
(except on refundable fares)

● 24 hour hold dropped for telephone bookings 1 April - but per a post here, will continue to be available for an undetermined interim period of time

● 24 hour hold will be offered for online bookings for an undetermined interim period of time

● during this period both free 24 hour hold and 24 hour no fee cancellation will be possible

● Extended hold for pay will still be offered online on many bookings (not within seven days)

● The five day holds for awards, and 24 hours within fifteen days of travel (all awards by non-elites also incur a $75 close in processing fee) remain unaffected
Gary Leff, From the Boarding Area, 31 Mar 2016: (link) American spokesperson Joshua Freed confirmed to me today:

● They are making the change
● It does go into effect tomorrow, April 1 after all.

Washington Post article about this: link.

Previous, obsolete thread: ARCHIVE: AA 24 Hour Cancellation Policy: Offer 24 Hour Hold (obsolete)

Prior statement 20 March 2016: "There is not a final decision on this. Moving to refunds instead of a hold policy is something we are looking at, but it has not been decided.

There are some issues and implications we need to sort through before we do anything – which may be nothing at all.

There are some emails and meetings about all of this, and it looks like someone was eager to share the news.

If something officially changes, we will let customers know in advance. Nothing has been decided as I write this at 7:32am on Monday.
"

- Gary Leff, View from the wing Link
Don't forget to look at other venues for tickets, such as OTAs, if purchasing within the 7 day window and you would like some hedging protection. Expedia offers 24 hour cancellation on AA itineraries within the 7 day window and many AA itineraries can be held via Expedia Trip Lock (which charges a small fee to hold a fare for 48 hours).
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HOLD ticket changed 1 Apr 2016 - 24 hr cancellation (but, read...)

Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by jmayo
Has anyone else seen this now when booking flights?

I was booking SFO-JFK on May 16 and was offered FREE hold for 24 hours and 3-day Hold through April 25th for $7.99.

I thought this was not going to happen?
It has been there a while. More money for AA. There's no refund if used till end or not.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: AA PLT, EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ashill
That's been an option for a long time (years, I think) on at least some itineraries.
I guess never on the itineraries I've booked. I travel 200k per year, so that's surprising to hear about the 3-day hold.

Last edited by jmayo; Apr 22, 2016 at 10:24 am Reason: clarity:
Old Apr 22, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
I have seen 3 and 7 day paid holds on domestic itineraries for a while. I am usually looking a few weeks out so I don't know whether they are offered closer in. The offer may only be made if AA is willing to take the seat(s) out of inventory for the duration so loading may be a factor too.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
The multi-day hold only shows up if you click the Hold option. It doesn't show up without that.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 9:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
The multi-day hold only shows up if you click the Hold option. It doesn't show up without that.
But even then, it's not always offered, and when it is you may not get all the options of 3, 5, or 7-day holds.

I have no idea what criteria AA uses to determine whether or not to offer the paid hold, but I have been offered them on rather cheap O fares if that helps narrow anything down.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 9:16 am
FSU

So, just took advantage of the new 24 hour cancel policy. Flight booked after the change in policy for a flight 2 months out. Cancelled within 24 hours. Seems great right? Well I was told that I must apply for a refund, which I did immediately. So far two weeks has gone by, no refund. Refund page states pending review. While this new policy may seem consumer friendly to some, the holding up of the refund seems inexcusable.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 9:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FSU
...So far two weeks has gone by, no refund. Refund page states pending review. While this new policy may seem consumer friendly to some, the holding up of the refund seems inexcusable.
Agreed.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 11:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FSU
So, just took advantage of the new 24 hour cancel policy. Flight booked after the change in policy for a flight 2 months out. Cancelled within 24 hours. Seems great right? Well I was told that I must apply for a refund, which I did immediately. So far two weeks has gone by, no refund. Refund page states pending review. While this new policy may seem consumer friendly to some, the holding up of the refund seems inexcusable.
And if someone has paid using a debit card linked to their bank account, or if someone has paid with an account already at or near their credit card account's credit limit, their delayed refunds can lead to customer-unfriendly outcomes that may even cost AA getting some business.

Different points of sale for AA flights may refund tickets at a different pace than other points of sale. That is another thing to consider when booking flights for a trip that may be subject to change in rather short order.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FSU
While this new policy may seem consumer friendly to some, the holding up of the refund seems inexcusable.
If it went more than 24 hours I would just dispute the charge with my CC company.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
If it went more than 24 hours I would just dispute the charge with my CC company.
+1 (I might go a week, but no more.)

Not sure why everyone who is having a problem with AA refunds does not do this.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 7:29 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by 110pgl
+1 (I might go a week, but no more.)

Not sure why everyone who is having a problem with AA refunds does not do this.
One reason is because many (most?) credit cards still have the policy that you can't place a dispute until the charge has "appeared on your statement." So there is a delay of 1 to 30 days until it is even possible to place a dispute.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sbrower
One reason is because many (most?) credit cards still have the policy that you can't place a dispute until the charge has "appeared on your statement." So there is a delay of 1 to 30 days until it is even possible to place a dispute.
Interesting. For me, both American Express and Citi give the option to dispute the charge as soon as it's posted (not necessarily once the statement has closed) so I can't imagine a delay of more than a day or two. Barclay seems a bit more complicated though I've admittedly only been using them for a month now.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by sbrower
I have never heard of that. I have cards from most major banks. The second something is charged, I can dispute it.

Granted, I can't say for sure I have disputed something from each one, but, I have had my fair share over the years and whenever there was an issue, the dispute was immediate.

Last edited by Global321; Apr 29, 2016 at 2:23 pm
Old Apr 25, 2016, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by 110pgl
I have never heard of that. I have cards from most major backs. The second something is charged, I can dispute it.

Granted, I can't say for sure I have disputed something from each one, but, I have had my fair share over the years and whenever there was an issue, the dispute was immediate.
Yes, different banks have different rules. I seem to recall the only time I tried a dispute with AA, my bank came back almost instantly denying the dispute saying AA's system had confirmed the charge. I had to call to get an agent to actually submit the dispute and it cleared within a few days.

Seems the smaller banks have tougher hurdles hoping everything works out before they have to do something. Just like their processing rules where charges may show up immediately but credits take a different path and may takes many days. I guess they want to hold onto your money as long as they can (funny banks do that).
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, different banks have different rules. I seem to recall the only time I tried a dispute with AA, my bank came back almost instantly denying the dispute saying AA's system had confirmed the charge. I had to call to get an agent to actually submit the dispute and it cleared within a few days.

Seems the smaller banks have tougher hurdles hoping everything works out before they have to do something. Just like their processing rules where charges may show up immediately but credits take a different path and may takes many days. I guess they want to hold onto your money as long as they can (funny banks do that).
That does not seem to follow the federal banking rules. Once you dispute a charge, there is no way for a merchant to immediately say it is confirmed. The bank is required to put the charge into dispute, take your information and then open an investigation. That alone takes days. In the meantime, the charge is reversed on your account.

Personally, I would not accept that answer from my bank.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.