Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HOLD ticket changed 1 Apr 2016 - 24 hr cancellation (but, read...)

Old Mar 22, 2016, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
ARCHIVE: AA Eliminates 24 Hour HOLD 1 Apr 2016
As of 1 Apr 2016: 24 hour free cancellation,
except bookings purchased within seven days of travel.
NOTE: Hold and 24 hour cancelation online can be used currently until it is terminated.

See current thread: Free 24 hr Hold on AA.com Now Only Offered Randomly 3 Nov 2016

Bookings made now state:

"You have 24 hours to cancel your trip for a full refund if you booked at least 7 days prior to departure. (Link to) Refunds policy."
Getting a reservation refunded is a two-step process. First cancel the reservation on aa.com or by calling Reservations, then second request the refund at http://prefunds.aa.com.

For bookings made online, AA may continue to offer hold for unspecified interim going forward, but 24 hours hold via telephone booking may no longer granted by agents (though occasional ones might anyway).

update July 2016

AA will follow USDOT requirements to the letter, not the industry standards:
● 24 hour cancellation with refund and no penalty, though

● No free 24-hour cancellations for purchases within seven days of flying
(except on refundable fares)

● 24 hour hold dropped for telephone bookings 1 April - but per a post here, will continue to be available for an undetermined interim period of time

● 24 hour hold will be offered for online bookings for an undetermined interim period of time

● during this period both free 24 hour hold and 24 hour no fee cancellation will be possible

● Extended hold for pay will still be offered online on many bookings (not within seven days)

● The five day holds for awards, and 24 hours within fifteen days of travel (all awards by non-elites also incur a $75 close in processing fee) remain unaffected
Gary Leff, From the Boarding Area, 31 Mar 2016: (link) American spokesperson Joshua Freed confirmed to me today:

● They are making the change
● It does go into effect tomorrow, April 1 after all.

Washington Post article about this: link.

Previous, obsolete thread: ARCHIVE: AA 24 Hour Cancellation Policy: Offer 24 Hour Hold (obsolete)

Prior statement 20 March 2016: "There is not a final decision on this. Moving to refunds instead of a hold policy is something we are looking at, but it has not been decided.

There are some issues and implications we need to sort through before we do anything – which may be nothing at all.

There are some emails and meetings about all of this, and it looks like someone was eager to share the news.

If something officially changes, we will let customers know in advance. Nothing has been decided as I write this at 7:32am on Monday.
"

- Gary Leff, View from the wing Link
Don't forget to look at other venues for tickets, such as OTAs, if purchasing within the 7 day window and you would like some hedging protection. Expedia offers 24 hour cancellation on AA itineraries within the 7 day window and many AA itineraries can be held via Expedia Trip Lock (which charges a small fee to hold a fare for 48 hours).
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HOLD ticket changed 1 Apr 2016 - 24 hr cancellation (but, read...)

Old Mar 20, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I agree with the last comment. The 24 hour hold feels more flexible to me.

with a refund, i feel as if I've given up some of my available credit (I don't have credit limit issues), and I always have the lingering feeling of what happens if they don't cancel it properly.

With a hold, I get (in reality) well over 24 hours to cancel a reservation without fear or risk.

Count me in as a hold supporter!
Old Mar 20, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by wdwright
Yes, in fact the agent offered the extended holds to me this evening, which I declined.
Originally Posted by zhangg
You pay a small fee (I think $5-$11 pp) for a 3-7 day hold.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/hold_mktpg.jsp
If AA decides to change from 24-hour hold to 24-hour free cancelation, they could still implement an extended hold (for fee) system. United, who offers 24-hour cancelation rather than a free hold, also as a program they call Farelock which allows you to pay to hold the price on a reservation for either 3 or 7 days. https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro.../FareLock.aspx
Old Mar 20, 2016, 1:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
April 1st it is. We'll still be able to put awards on hold.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 1:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by sukn
Source?
Old Mar 20, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
A vote for HOLD

At least twice now when I had an itinerary on hold, when I went to pay the next day, the price had dropped. Once by $0.60 and once by $14.00. So I like the hold feature. If there was only the 24h refund feature, I would be unlikely to check the next day to see if the price had dropped, so the HOLD feature is preferable for me.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by sukn
Remember when AA would give ample warning before major changes?

I miss AA.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by skunker
Remember when AA would give ample warning before major changes?

I miss AA.
Indeed, I hardly recognize this airline anymore. And it's really sort of sad.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by controller1
Source?
He says it, then it's so.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ty97
If AA decides to change from 24-hour hold to 24-hour free cancelation, they could still implement an extended hold (for fee) system. United, who offers 24-hour cancelation rather than a free hold, also as a program they call Farelock which allows you to pay to hold the price on a reservation for either 3 or 7 days. https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro.../FareLock.aspx
Every air carrier's favorite verb: monetize.

I'm surprised DL hasn't copied UA on that one.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 2:59 pm

The 5-day hold feature, and the ability to extend the hold, if possible, was nice for AAward flights. As I now think the worst when it comes to AA, I assume this will get eliminated as well.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by controller1
Source?
AA training of employees in some way or another? That's how it usually goes.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by AndyAA
The 5-day hold feature, and the ability to extend the hold, if possible, was nice for AAward flights. As I now think the worst when it comes to AA, I assume this will get eliminated as well.
You have nothing to worry about - see posts #33 and #38.

Rarely, if ever, has that type information from those two in relation to AA been inaccurate.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 3:57 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
April 1 is less than 2 weeks off

At https://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/hold_mktpg.jsp, aa.com still lists the hold feature. April 1st is less than 2 weeks away--AA should make a prominent announcement that a change is about to occur.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 4:21 pm

Ugh I hope they don't do away with holds because I'm sure just like every other company they process your payment almost instantly but will take their sweet time processing the refund.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
Ugh I hope they don't do away with holds because I'm sure just like every other company they process your payment almost instantly but will take their sweet time processing the refund.
Not only would I expect the submitting of the the credit to be placed behind the charges by AA, but even your own bank may take their time to even acknowledge a pending credit, let alone process it.

I've received many calls from customers saying we haven't processed a credit return when in fact we had. Talking with our merchant processor, they tell me each card issuer gets to define how they handle transactions and they will jump on charges to possibly catch bogus charges, but they have no incentive to do the same with credits.

I truly hope this is an April's Fools joke someone has started.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.