Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Minimum airport check-in & baggage times: Dom 0:45 / Int'l 0:60 (Mar 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Minimum Airport Check-in Times as of March 2016
Includes checked baggage check-in

If you do not check in prior to the cutoff times listed, you may not be able to check in for your flight and you will be unable to check baggage. If you are checked in online and wish to check baggage, you must do so by the check-in deadline.
  • Minimum check-in time at US domestic airports: 45 minutes
  • Minimum check-in time for international flights systemwide: 60 minutes
  • Exceptions:
    Caracas - Maiquetia, Venezuela CCS, : 90 minutes
    Dublin, Ireland DUB: 75 minutes
    Ezeiza - Pistorini Buenos Aires, Argentina EZE: 75 minutes
    Maracaibo, Venezuela MAR: 90 minutes
    St. Thomas, USVI STT: 90 minutes

NOTE: Though previously AA listed both minimum check in and baggage check-in times, that is no longer the case. The minimum check-in time applies to checking in at the airport, with or without baggage.
Print Wikipost

Minimum airport check-in & baggage times: Dom 0:45 / Int'l 0:60 (Mar 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2016, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by echyde
Thanks. I did write into CS and immediately got a reply after only a few hours. They linked me to the CoC and said it contains "detailed information" on the baggage cutoff time. Which it most certainly does not.

In the grand scheme of things this is not a hill I want to die on, but it is emblematic of the program you, yourself, just mentioned. AA has dozens of policies that are not clearly described or communicated in any way.

I've heard all the excuses:

The merger, lots of new employees, IT challenges, culture change, etc. It all goes back to one thing: you have an obligation to act in good faith with contracts and your customers. If you purposely don't disclose information, rely on its dissemination through opaque channels, and do not attempt to fix issues once they are raised - that is not acting in good faith.
None of this is going to change, so, how it is is how it is. I personally don't think a cut-off time of 45 minutes for checked bags is even remotely burdensome or unreasonable. And, as pointed out, not really all that confusing either.
Of all the complaints that one can make about the current state of AA operation/policies/lack of transparency, etc.,, this one strikes me as very trivial.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Plat
Originally Posted by JonNYC
None of this is going to change, so, how it is is how it is. I personally don't think a cut-off time of 45 minutes for checked bags is even remotely burdensome or unreasonable. And, as pointed out, not really all that confusing either.
Of all the complaints that one can make about the current state of AA operation/policies/lack of transparency, etc.,, this one strikes me as very trivial.
You are continuing to miss the point. AA changed their website's baggage policy and CoC to specifically exclude the "baggage acceptance cutoff time." Why change something that was clear and easy to understand for something vague? Again, even several Plat desks reps told me THEY are frustrated because they don't have something clear and definitive to refer to.

Not to mention you are ignoring that the policy was recently changed without announcement.

I never said 45 minutes is unreasonable. I said AA needs to communicate cutoff times clearly, not keep outdated information on their website, and if they make a change actually consider communicating.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Plat
Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
You all can say, "AA doesn't make this clear", "AA is so bad", etc. etc. But it doesn't change the fact that checking luggage is part of the check in process and its quite clear on the website that the check in process has to be completed at least 45 minutes prior to departure. Just because you have checked in online doesn't exempt you from check in time requirements.

Don't blame the airline for not getting to the ticket counter in enough time.
<redacted>

They had a very detailed and clear policy -- as Delta and United still do -- on their website. No issue with changing the time to 45 minutes. But put that in the CoC or on the baggage information page.

Gary Leff actually has a post on this from June. He didn't know about it either. Do you think Gary is uninformed when it comes to airline policies? Is he not capable of understanding their policies?

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 22, 2016 at 9:55 pm Reason: Redacted unfriendly bit
Old Jul 17, 2016, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Thumbs down

<redacted>

Originally Posted by echyde
...Gary Leff actually has a post on this from June. He didn't know about it either. Do you think Gary is uninformed when it comes to airline policies? Is he not capable of understanding their policies?
Also wrong:
http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ces-travelers/

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 22, 2016 at 9:55 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Jul 17, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Also in my opinion this time-limit should manually be over-ridden with
supervisory intervention ! I can understand that for large airports the
45 minute limit is needed but for smaller airports this could be little
flexible.

I had a similar issue with Air Canada in Boston where their baggage
check-in and baggage loading is literally next to each other. They were
able to accept my baggage when I had missed the cut-off time by couple
of minutes or so.

I do understand that there needs to be time given for TSA security etc. but
in certain situations, this policy should be a little flexible when it is
possible to load the baggage without delaying the flight..

Not everything need to be controlled by computers !

F.A.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<redacted>

The actual policy is published on the AA website. At https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/arrival-times.jsp , it states

"In most locations, you must be checked in At least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights within the United States"

This seems to be something that could reasonably be relied upon

Checking a bag in , is part of checking in.

Since the bag was not checked in at least 45 minutes before departure , then it was after the listed check in time

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 22, 2016 at 9:57 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by flyalways
Also in my opinion this time-limit should manually be over-ridden with
supervisory intervention ! I can understand that for large airports the
45 minute limit is needed but for smaller airports this could be little
flexible.

I had a similar issue with Air Canada in Boston where their baggage
check-in and baggage loading is literally next to each other. They were
able to accept my baggage when I had missed the cut-off time by couple
of minutes or so.

I do understand that there needs to be time given for TSA security etc. but
in certain situations, this policy should be a little flexible when it is
possible to load the baggage without delaying the flight..

Not everything need to be controlled by computers !

F.A.
There is already an override function built into the system, but a simple late arrival like the OP's is not a valid reason to use it. And, as Gary Leff posted on his blog, there is also a 3-minute grace period.

<redacted>

Since March 2016, the check-in cutoff time has been 45 minutes before departure for domestic flights regardless or whether or not you are checking bags. Although Ross Feinstein has clarified that AA can technically issue a boarding pass up to 30 minutes before departure, that is not what is published in the contract of carriage.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 22, 2016 at 9:58 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Aug 22, 2016, 6:49 pm

Basic checked bag question

What is the cutoff time for checking a bag for domestic flight?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by machong
What is the cutoff time for checking a bag for domestic flight?
Check-in times
In most locations, you must be checked in:

At least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights within the United States

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 22, 2016 at 9:15 pm Reason: Redacted unfriendly bits
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The proper reply to a question is to direct and / or reply in a friendly manner, which can include referring or a link to a current thread. Moderators can also be alerted so they can merge threads that contribute to multiple threads on the same topic / information fragmentation.

We do expect members to search for an existing thread that holds answers to their questions prior to starting a new thread. Newer members who may not be familiar with FlyerTalk Search or Advanced Search may wish to read:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...ve-thread.html

If one feels a post is misplaced, snarky, etc. the answer is to notify the Moderators.

Unfriendly bits, counters ark and overly personalized material have been deleted.

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 22, 2016 at 10:12 pm
Old Jan 24, 2023, 5:15 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Sorry to resurrect an old thread…
so if you’re checking in for a domestic flight that connects to an international flight, so you have to be at the checkin desk with your bags 45 or 60 mins before the first flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.