Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Minimum airport check-in & baggage times: Dom 0:45 / Int'l 0:60 (Mar 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Minimum Airport Check-in Times as of March 2016
Includes checked baggage check-in

If you do not check in prior to the cutoff times listed, you may not be able to check in for your flight and you will be unable to check baggage. If you are checked in online and wish to check baggage, you must do so by the check-in deadline.
  • Minimum check-in time at US domestic airports: 45 minutes
  • Minimum check-in time for international flights systemwide: 60 minutes
  • Exceptions:
    Caracas - Maiquetia, Venezuela CCS, : 90 minutes
    Dublin, Ireland DUB: 75 minutes
    Ezeiza - Pistorini Buenos Aires, Argentina EZE: 75 minutes
    Maracaibo, Venezuela MAR: 90 minutes
    St. Thomas, USVI STT: 90 minutes

NOTE: Though previously AA listed both minimum check in and baggage check-in times, that is no longer the case. The minimum check-in time applies to checking in at the airport, with or without baggage.
Print Wikipost

Minimum airport check-in & baggage times: Dom 0:45 / Int'l 0:60 (Mar 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:09 pm

I have continued to look into this issue. It turns out there's a DOT regulation specifically on point:

§ 253.9 Retroactive changes to contracts of carriage.
An air carrier may not retroactively apply to persons who have already bought a ticket any material amendment to its contract of carriage that has significant negative implications for consumers.
It seems AA has been taking the position that it is permitted to modify the COC and hold passengers to the revision. DOT regulations here indicate exactly the opposite.

I'd be interested in hearing the experience of affected passengers. I know at least one passenger who was denied transport despite complying with the COC check-in time requirement posted as of her date of travel. Another was denied transport despite complying with the check-tine requirement posted as of his date of ticket purchase although AA purported to have changed that requirement in the interim (exactly what 253.9 disallows). Anyone else?
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bedelman
It seems AA has been taking the position that it is permitted to modify the COC and hold passengers to the revision. DOT regulations here indicate exactly the opposite.
I wouldn't be surprised if the words "significant" and "negative" in the regulation provide enough wiggle room to allow this.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:57 pm

Seems like a tough argument for AA. When a passenger is deemed a late check-in, the passenger forfeits the confirmed space he paid for. Under fare rules, passenger can be charged a fare difference and change fee to travel on a later flight. Passenger forfeits any assigned seats he paid for, priority boarding, maybe some other benefits. A lot of forfeiture!

I suspect it turns out that a fair number of passengers historically checked in between 30 and 45 minutes before flight time. I know I often did. It may not sound like much, "just 15 minutes," but actually a crucial 15 minutes relative to passenger practices and expectations -- expectations, to be sure, formed over decades of the prior practice and also in light of UA and DL to this day largely (at most airports) still accepting 30-minute check-in for passengers with only carry-ons.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 2:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Gary Leff shares his view 0:45 for AA but 0:30 for DL and UA doesn't affect airline operations, but does negatively affect passengers.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ces-travelers/
Old Jun 17, 2016, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
Gary Leff shares his view 0:45 for AA but 0:30 for DL and UA doesn't affect airline operations, but does negatively affect passengers.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ces-travelers/
It's pretty comical how the airline that centers it whole operation on a (poorly designed and executed) policy to minimize delays is currently the worst of the major domestic airlines in this category. #goingforlAAte
Old Jun 18, 2016, 8:26 am
Suspended

Interesting follow-up today:
http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....irlines-check/

I Learned Something New and Useful About American Airlines Check-in...

...American Airlines spokesperson Ross Feinstein clarified for me that in fact, American will still issue a boarding pass 30 minutes prior to departure for a domestic flight.

The rules say 45 minutes, because they want you to get to the airport earlier. You might have to wait in line for a check-in kiosk or manual assistance, and you may have to wait in line at security.

American’s computers are set to a 30 minute deadline with 3 minute grace period.

What this means in practice is that American can check you in 27 minutes prior to scheduled departure
Old Jun 18, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I was really, really hoping that word of the 3-minute grace window wouldn't get out because now we're going to have people showing up at 26 minutes.

That being said, if the gate agent takes control of the flight between 26 and 44 minutes out, check-in will still be locked out, and technically the CoC does state a 45-minute cutoff, which opens up an interesting gray area.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
I was really, really hoping that word of the 3-minute grace window wouldn't get out because now we're going to have people showing up at 26 minutes.

That being said, if the gate agent takes control of the flight between 26 and 44 minutes out, check-in will still be locked out, and technically the CoC does state a 45-minute cutoff, which opens up an interesting gray area.
It's useful to know these numbers to reduce your panic if you get delayed but even aiming to arrive at the airport at 45 minutes is pushing your luck. You need to pad for transport delays and the possibility of a line at checkin, as well as for delays between checkin and the gate. That said, people are not necessarily sensible
Old Jun 18, 2016, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango

It does indeed!
Old Jun 19, 2016, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
At least for domestic flights and some International why not at least OLCI at T-1 or T-2 so you won't get locked out of a kiosk. You can always have the GA print a paper BP if you want it for asking for mileage credit in the unlikely event miles do not post. Of course this won't work if you need to check bags.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
At least for domestic flights and some International why not at least OLCI at T-1 or T-2 so you won't get locked out of a kiosk. You can always have the GA print a paper BP if you want it for asking for mileage credit in the unlikely event miles do not post. Of course this won't work if you need to check bags.
Yeah, I'm not completely sure I understand the argument of being unable to OLCI in any of the 24 hours prior to departure. I cannot think of a single scenario for the 24 hours preceding a domestic trip that I would not have my cell phone on my person for even 5-10 minutes.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
You can't time travel down to 10 minute granularity in any city of size due to traffic anyhow.
For me it depends on where I'm traveling from, how close I am to the airport, how many alternative flights there are, how flexible my ticket is and why I'm making the journey.

When departing home I'll normally have a more aggressive schedule based on using the offsite (fastpark) car park. If I find that I get delayed in traffic then I'll use a closer, more expensive, car park.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:29 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
There was a time, if you were wait-listed for an SWU upgrade, that you could NOT do OLCI--I assume this is NO longer the case.
Even if one does not have an iPhone, ipad, etc. nearly every hotel (even SUPER CHEAP ones) have computer terminals which allow OLCI; many airports have computer terminals (some even FREE) [both pre- and post- security] which allow web access and hence OLCI.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Thumbs down So annoying

So I live in Abq. A small city with a small airport I usually check in on the app and get to the airport 35-40 mins before the flight. Today, I had two bags to check. I arrived at the counter about 40 minutes before departure. I was informed by agents (apparently in training) that the cutoff was 45 minutes I told them it was 30. They called a supervisor I was familiar with who confirmed 45 mins and said that I would have to get confirmed to a different flight. The ladies asked me to get back to the line so someone else could help me.

Thankfully the guy who originally came to help gave me a tip - he said to take the two bags through security and to gate check them. It worked! TSA couldn't care less that the bags were large.

I'm beyond annoyed by the lack of notice.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Any changes to when the cutoff is for dropping off bags? Last I heard, it was T-50 (at least at Denver).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.