Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Minimum airport check-in & baggage times: Dom 0:45 / Int'l 0:60 (Mar 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Minimum Airport Check-in Times as of March 2016
Includes checked baggage check-in

If you do not check in prior to the cutoff times listed, you may not be able to check in for your flight and you will be unable to check baggage. If you are checked in online and wish to check baggage, you must do so by the check-in deadline.
  • Minimum check-in time at US domestic airports: 45 minutes
  • Minimum check-in time for international flights systemwide: 60 minutes
  • Exceptions:
    Caracas - Maiquetia, Venezuela CCS, : 90 minutes
    Dublin, Ireland DUB: 75 minutes
    Ezeiza - Pistorini Buenos Aires, Argentina EZE: 75 minutes
    Maracaibo, Venezuela MAR: 90 minutes
    St. Thomas, USVI STT: 90 minutes

NOTE: Though previously AA listed both minimum check in and baggage check-in times, that is no longer the case. The minimum check-in time applies to checking in at the airport, with or without baggage.
Print Wikipost

Minimum airport check-in & baggage times: Dom 0:45 / Int'l 0:60 (Mar 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2016, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
One more reason not to check bags.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by JDiver
Don't forget: must be at the departure gate by T-30, and AA seek to close the jetway / aircraft door by T-10.
Not to be snarky, but exactly how is the "at the departure gate by T-30" enforced? How does AA know if a passenger who checked in the night before is at the gate area at T-30 or not?

As long as a passenger boards before the door closes at T-10, I would think that is all that really matters.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I -think- AA social media is denying so far? (I might be wrong.)

I understand the social media team is part of the Marketing, public relations, imaging of the company.

I heard the National Chief of The Order of the Arrow of the Boy Scouts praise AA Twitter team in front of 15,000 people at NOAC 2015 for how they helped solve problems.

I do not think they are the same organization anymore that got such great compliments. They will offer advice, and encouragement with issues. They gloss over real customer concerns. The positive spinning actually infuriated me and was not helpful. The advice given would have been solving/putting off he problem for them.

I was in an oversold International FC cabin without a seat assignment. AA attitude was wait until you get to the airport. I was first to book on a award ticket. There were others in the cabin that had just booked the previous weeks of loosing the assignment on the same MileSaver award that I booked. The only solution AA offered was to book me on a Chicago 777-200 flight that averages 2 hour departure delays. I had been scheduled on the 777-300ER for over 10 months.

Twitter team just kept glossing over the issue by saying the gate agents are great.

The Twitter team may have security concerns about who the are talking too, but they are not what was praised at the 2015 NOAC.

I should not have had to reroute because AA oversold the cabin.

Unfortunately, The impression that I get from coworkers is that all of the mergers have made the remaining top airlines pretty uncaring. It is not just AA.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AustinDiver
I understand the social media team is part of the Marketing, public relations, imaging of the company.

I heard the National Chief of The Order of the Arrow of the Boy Scouts praise AA Twitter team in front of 15,000 people at NOAC 2015 for how they helped solve problems.

I do not think they are the same organization anymore that got such great compliments. They will offer advice, and encouragement with issues. They gloss over real customer concerns. The positive spinning actually infuriated me and was not helpful. The advice given would have been solving/putting off he problem for them.

I was in an oversold International FC cabin without a seat assignment. AA attitude was wait until you get to the airport. I was first to book on a award ticket. There were others in the cabin that had just booked the previous weeks of loosing the assignment on the same MileSaver award that I booked. The only solution AA offered was to book me on a Chicago 777-200 flight that averages 2 hour departure delays. I had been scheduled on the 777-300ER for over 10 months.

Twitter team just kept glossing over the issue by saying the gate agents are great.

The Twitter team may have security concerns about who the are talking too, but they are not what was praised at the 2015 NOAC.

I should not have had to reroute because AA oversold the cabin.

Unfortunately, The impression that I get from coworkers is that all of the mergers have made the remaining top airlines pretty uncaring. It is not just AA.
There's some truth to what you're saying, obviously, and I can't discount any individual's experiences, but, no, personally I don't agree as a general statement as AA's Twitter team is still very engaged and empowered.

Goes without saying a very good % of the time (maybe even the majority, when viewed from the outside) it won't manifest itself as that. But, can't say I agree with your broad-stroke conclusion/assessment.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Beware: Minimum airport check in time changed - as of March 2016

Check-in times are part of AA's conditions of carriage. Shouldn't whatever time was in the CoC at the time of ticket purchase be what is in effect?

If I purchased a ticket based on the CoC saying 30 minute check-in and then AA denies me boarding based on the subsequent (unannounced) change to 45 minutes, wouldn't that be a violation of the contract in the part of AA? Not a strict IDB I suppose, but warranting some type of compensation?

If AA can individualize, say, baggage allowances based on date of ticket purchase, surely they could individualize check-in cut offs.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by NovaEngr
Not to be snarky, but exactly how is the "at the departure gate by T-30" enforced? How does AA know if a passenger who checked in the night before is at the gate area at T-30 or not?

As long as a passenger boards before the door closes at T-10, I would think that is all that really matters.
It's not really a rule, more like a recommendation. AA usually starts boarding at T-30, sometimes earlier, which is why AA strongly encourages people to be at the gate at T-30 to ensure they get on the plane. You could, in theory, show up at the gate as late as T-11 but that is risky - you could get on the flight or be denied boarding because they gave your seat to someone on standby (happened to my Dad a few times).
Old Mar 19, 2016, 11:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by controller1
The TSA issue may have been the catalyst for this move due to the recent publicity of passengers missing their flights due to poor staffing levels at TSA security checkpoints.
That would be my guess as well.

Of course, being hub-based, I've been used to the D-45 cutoff time for as long as I've been flying AA so this is no noticeable change to me.

Originally Posted by NovaEngr
The passenger needs to be on board by D-15. The five minutes between D-15 and D-10 are spent dropping seats of no-shows and clearing standbys. There was a whole thread about someone who arrived at D-12 to find that they had already been dropped from the flight: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-hosed-me.html

Originally Posted by ijgordon
If AA can individualize, say, baggage allowances based on date of ticket purchase, surely they could individualize check-in cut offs.
That would probably be more trouble than it's worth for AA. Better to fight a hypothetical DOT complaint or two than to have to deal with the complexity of implementing such a system.

And since the check-in cutoff is based on when AA can more or less guarantee that you and your bags will make it to the plane on time, it wouldn't make sense to have different cutoffs for different passengers on the same flight. It's not quite the same as baggage allowances.

Last edited by ThreeJulietTango; Mar 19, 2016 at 11:45 pm Reason: Added link to relevant thread
Old Mar 20, 2016, 1:34 am

Programs: AA EXP
I wonder what the average airport arrival is for FT travelers is? I like to get to the terminal about an hour and a half to two hours before my flight, but then again I make it a point to get my money's worth of my lounge access.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by Austin787
It's not really a rule, more like a recommendation. AA usually starts boarding at T-30, sometimes earlier, which is why AA strongly encourages people to be at the gate at T-30 to ensure they get on the plane. You could, in theory, show up at the gate as late as T-11 but that is risky - you could get on the flight or be denied boarding because they gave your seat to someone on standby (happened to my Dad a few times).
Also, if you're high on the upgrade list, not answering a page at the gate is a good way to get passed over.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 5:08 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by ArrVea
I wonder what the average airport arrival is for FT travelers is? I like to get to the terminal about an hour and a half to two hours before my flight, but then again I make it a point to get my money's worth of my lounge access.
Given that I almost always checkin in line, this isnt an issue. But i usually get to the airport one hour prior to departure.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 5:33 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Given that I almost always checkin in line, this isnt an issue. But i usually get to the airport one hour prior to departure.
I wonder if you check in on line the day before, but then don't print the boarding pass, and go to the airport after cut off time - can you still print a BP?

Sometimes you don't have a printer. But I guess the best thing to do for a back up is email yourself an electronic boarding pass just in case.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 5:39 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rjw242
Also, if you're high on the upgrade list, not answering a page at the gate is a good way to get passed over.
But you can always check the AA app and check your upgrade status.

Recently I was already boarded on a flight and at about T-10 - I then got upgraded from viewing the list on the AA app. Someone then boarded and had my old seat.

But issue was gate agents did not come down for 15 minutes, so I had to tell the FA and stand and wait as there was two seats in F.

Unfortunately, at DCA the former US agents are not as good as the former AA agents and things like this happen more on the new AA.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 5:44 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by ArrVea
It's a sex religion and politics topic. There is a chest thumping contingent here who want the world to believe there time is so important that an extra 10 minutes times 365 flights per year ruins their lives, but the reality is real people don't OJ through the airport routinely.

You can't time travel down to 10 minute granularity in any city of size due to traffic anyhow.

If you travel every day, you get the gate at T-30 if you don't want to miss any flights.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by cova
I wonder if you check in on line the day before, but then don't print the boarding pass, and go to the airport after cut off time - can you still print a BP?

Sometimes you don't have a printer. But I guess the best thing to do for a back up is email yourself an electronic boarding pass just in case.
Yeah, it never hurts to have backups. I always get the PDF version emailed when checking in online, and/or take a screenshot of the app BP. Saved my bacon on more than one occasion.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 6:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by controller1
Love it!

The TSA issue may have been the catalyst for this move due to the recent publicity of passengers missing their flights due to poor staffing levels at TSA security checkpoints. Of course that still doesn't make for a good reason for AA to not send a blanket email to all AAdvantage members notifying us of the change.
Given the long lines at PreCheck now indeed getting to the airport at T-30 is a high risk, particularly large airports when you may then need to walk and/or take a train to your gate. I personally would never purposely do anything under T-45.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.