Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Redeeming from spouse's account over the phone?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2016, 7:14 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Hi all-

I'm planning on booking two Etihad tickets before the devaluation. The miles are in my wifes account, but I don't know how to go about this over the phone. Will they let me? Is there a way she can add me as an authorized user to book on her behalf? She's out of town, so I can't just hand the phone over and not sure if she's comfortable calling herself.

Thanks!!
Old Mar 18, 2016, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Conference call?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 7:20 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
If she is on the trip as well, this should (I say *should*) work. I have certainly applied SWUs from mrs. brp's account to trips that we're both taking without her present.

Cheers.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 7:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Acrbag
Hi all-

I'm planning on booking two Etihad tickets before the devaluation. The miles are in my wifes account, but I don't know how to go about this over the phone. Will they let me? Is there a way she can add me as an authorized user to book on her behalf? She's out of town, so I can't just hand the phone over and not sure if she's comfortable calling herself.

Thanks!!
My partner has spent miles and SWUs from my account in the past, all he did was say that I authorized it, then they asked him some security questions about my account, where I recently traveled with AA... things that a spouse might typically be able to answer, and it was all good.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 7:45 pm

I book flights for my family using miles from my spouse's account all the time. Never had a problem. No agent had even asked me any verification questions. Maybe I always use my home phone which matches the number on record. Since most agents told me that the name on the credit card needs to matches the account where the miles come from, I would just give them my spouse's credit card info and they are cool with that too.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 6:16 pm

Programs: Executive Platinum
I never have an issue doing this, but my wife is always on the reservation with me.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
I booked 2 tickets on Etihad using my husband's account. We have the same last name. No issues at all.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 7:46 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mmdough
Since most agents told me that the name on the credit card needs to matches the account where the miles come from, I would just give them my spouse's credit card info and they are cool with that too.
I have found (in online forms, anyway) that the credit card can be in my name, but I can put her name in if need be and the system takes it with no problem. It might well work the same over the phone.

Originally Posted by upgraded
I booked 2 tickets on Etihad using my husband's account. We have the same last name. No issues at all.
We have different last names. But having the same address helps a lot. No problems at all.

Cheers.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
We generally use miles from my account but once in a while we'll use hers when her balance gets big enough. Never had a problem doing it for her. I never apply them to my tickets but only to her so maybe that takes care of any issues. I setup and manage my wife's account anyhow - she has no idea of how to long in or what her balance is.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 12:11 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
EXP Agent tonight told me that since my wife was on the same flights that it was OK for me to have them use her miles without her being on the call. If it had been a reservation that did not include her travelling then she would need to talk to them.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 12:22 am

Just did some of these in the last 2 days. Even did a ticket for a third person from my wife's account. No problem at all. I basically started the call with "I want to book an award ticket using miles from my wife for a third person...."
They will ask you a few qualifying questions (like address etc) and ask for a credit card in your wife's name.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
I have found (in online forms, anyway) that the credit card can be in my name, but I can put her name in if need be and the system takes it with no problem. It might well work the same over the phone.
Can't do that over the phone a few days ago, even my husband is also traveling but the miles from my account. Agent wanted my card. Since I am the AU on his card I just told the agent to change it to my name. (His card has 3x category bonus.)

Other than that I booked awards out from his account all the time. AA Agents never ever ask qualifying questions probably we are the "travelers" in each others' profiles.

OTOH, when I canceled a BA booking in husband's name over the phone (within the 24 hours time frame), BA agent indeed asked a few qualifying questions even though he is in my Household Account.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 3:22 am
dv8

redeeming with my CC on my moms miles

I had major issues redeeming my moms miles with my CC. This wasn't an issues a few months ago!
It took me 10 calls or so to get it fixed. Because my mom doesn't have a CC they told us we had to go to the airport to pay cash/in person.
This was sunday, so we planned on going tuesday morning...
The airport is/was Brussels airport which got blown up
I used this to get an exception on the CC issue.
It the took me 6 more calls to fix what they promised!

Should be OK now...
Old Mar 24, 2016, 6:39 am

The first time I tried to do this, a couple years ago, the AAgent actually made me get my SO on the line, answer questions, and then basically make me an "authorized user" of their account. He had a rather formal-sounding script he followed in doing this. Ever since I have had no issue booking from their account. I have no idea if this initial conference call and authorization was something that is supposed to happen and most AAgents simply ignore, or if it was something that an overzealous/bored AAgent had unilaterally come up with. Given the prevalence of award booking services, etc. that book tickets from others' accounts without issue, I'm kind of figuring that it was the latter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.