CX vs JL F and J class question

Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:49 pm

Just flew both JAL n CX F and CX F is not even close to JAL. I had 2 segments on CX and it was great flight bt can't be compared with JAL F. CX F seats look outdated. JAL segment was on ORD-NRT and CX on NRT-HKG n HKG-LAX.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 3:15 pm

can't comment on JAL, but flew CX a few times. Their J seat is really comfy, but not a fan of their food cart at all. And CX F looks to just be slightly larger J class seats and not worth the extra money. The HKG lounge is really nice though.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 3:54 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by tphuang
can't comment on JAL, but flew CX a few times. Their J seat is really comfy, but not a fan of their food cart at all. And CX F looks to just be slightly larger J class seats and not worth the extra money. The HKG lounge is really nice though.
This is not true. CX F is far more than just a better seat. Plus, access to F lounge at HKG is way better than J lounge, IMO. If you're EXP then disregard lounge consideration as you get it either way.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshhoward
Originally Posted by thepla
On way back I have RGN-HKG-JFK-ORD, maybe just have JFK-ORD setup as "F" now and hope HKG-JFK opens up in "F".
I don't know whether that works, since it'll only be a 2-cabin flight. maybe others know, or just call and find out. it would definitely work if it was F on JFK-SFO or JFK-LAX (and then just book a separate award from JFK-ORD).
Well, there are people on FT who have been fighting AA to get the mileage difference fully refunded for an F-to-J downgrade on the longhaul segment when the shorthaul domestic connection was in Z, which we know is allowed on either an F or J award. So you never know.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by tphuang
To be honest I prefer Pier business lounge over their F lounge. Better food options plus speciallity noodle bar on order. Not a big fan of fix Menu offered in Pier F.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by anubond005
To be honest I prefer Pier business lounge over their F lounge. Better food options plus speciallity noodle bar on order. Not a big fan of fix Menu offered in Pier F.
Agreed, probably my favourite lounge in hkg airport.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by anubond005
Just flew both JAL n CX F and CX F is not even close to JAL. I had 2 segments on CX and it was great flight bt can't be compared with JAL F. CX F seats look outdated. JAL segment was on ORD-NRT and CX on NRT-HKG n HKG-LAX.
CX F seats may look outdated, but for seats, I care far more about how they feel and work. I sleep better on CX F than I do at home. Also, the temps that the JL F cabin is kept at always result in my sweating when I'm sleeping. On CX, they'll adjust the temp for you. And if you're the only F pax (as I am from time to time), they'll set the temp at whatever you request. (I usually have them set it at 19 or less when I'm sleeping.)
Old Dec 10, 2016, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you value comfort of the seat / bed, CX wins.

If you want good foods and good wine, JL wins.

If you want good services - then it depends on how you define it - CX FAs do not bow to you and would not be submissive. They do not watch you to anticipate your needs but they would rush to your side within seconds you press the call button which on CX F is truly meant to be used to summon the services.
JL FAs would be oh so submissive (but generally more to the male passengers and especially to the Japanese male passengers, and often neglect the female passengers) and being around the cabin far far more often.

So if you prefer to be left alone and when you want service you summon it - then CX works a lot better.

If you want to be constantly looked after, then JL (or SQ for that matter) would better suit you.

Personally I dont like the JL seat set up, nor the cabin temperature. Much prefer the openness of the CX seat set up and the cabin temperature. However the CX foods are mediocre. But since the quality of sleep is the most important to me, plus I dont like the need to transit in TYO, hence always pick CX over JL.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Completely agree with Happy. ^
Old Dec 10, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: UA/AA
I was booked on CX until they dropped my flight and rescheduled me on an early AM departure. Not good while on vacation so I changed to JL leaving at night. So its CX going there and JL on the return trip. Get to enjoy both, same as last year.
I do like the food better on JL , Yet 2A on Cathay is always a favorite space to occupy.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 10:08 am

Just took 4 JAL F within the past 3 months. The temperature isn't a problem. I found BA F to be slightly hotter. At one point, i felt cold after they took the blanket away.
What are people wearing on the planes?
Old Dec 11, 2016, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
Just took 4 JAL F within the past 3 months. The temperature isn't a problem. I found BA F to be slightly hotter. At one point, i felt cold after they took the blanket away.
What are people wearing on the planes?
People have different body temperatures and preferences?

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders...-temperature#1
Old Dec 11, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Took CX F in July LAX-HKG and HKG-BKK (747). For return took JL BKK-NRT (in J 789 I think) and NRT-LAX in F.
No comparison for me. CX won in every category. I muched preferred the food on CX. The JL service was spectacular however I still preferred CX. For the record, cabin temp was just fine.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 1:12 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've done both CX and JL F and J....for me its JL every time. Especially in J. I like the "suites" on JL even if it isn't 1-2-1.

JL F also was a clear winner for me NRT-JFK on the 777-300. I only flew CX F because I keep reading threads like these, so I wanted to try it. Afterwards I realized I should have used my miles on another JL award. So YMMV.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Our most recent trip to Indonesia we flew outbound JL and return CX, mostly because I hadn't flow JL in years and wanted to see what it was like. I personally like CX product better, not because it's more comfortable. It isn't, but I prefer the light colors and openness compared to the JL cabin. On food, service, and sleep comfort, I think JL was superior. Though I was worried about it in light of all the comments, JL cabin temp was not a problem. HKG is superior to NRT for transit and CX lounges are far better than JL. On the whole, I like CX better but each has its advantages.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.